• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
With the first test runs expected this year some photos have now emerged of the progress being made.

The June 2015 edition of Pullman & CIWL News shows on pages 41-45 the body of Car 85 as well as a general update of how the project is progressing, further TV appearances, a possible event at Waterloo and news of a forthcoming announcement on their chosen operating company.

Chris

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aylesbury

Cant wait to ride on this unit when it goes into service I rode from Brighton to Victoria in the fifties so memories will be rekindled.I hope that the ride quality will be improved as the units when in service gave quite a rough ride especialy over junctions but well done the new company for the restoration.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Looking forward to when this unit comes back onto the main line. :D I do remember seeing sometimes at Victoria, in the Blue/White Livery, so must have been during the 1970s?

contrex

It won't sound right, I think, since it will have motors etc salvaged from CIGs, but I don't suppose all that many people remember the sound of the motors that were scrapped after withdrawal and it might look a bit odd below solebar level as I believe some or all of the bogies and under the body equipment will be later design but even so it will probably make a nice sight if they let it out on the juice.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
It won't sound right, I think, since it will have motors etc salvaged from CIGs, and I believe the motor bogies as well? but even so it will probably make a nice sight if they let it out on the juice.

Keep going...

It's going to be a right mash up of CIG/VEP/VOP Chassis (spinework from a Mk1 EMU, cut out and placed into the former Monocoque BB body), Running Gear, Motors & B5 Bogies, couplings and control gear. Basically the new Brighton Belle unit will be a CIG with a Metro Cammel Pullman Body built onto it....

I'd have rather preserved the CIG and a few of the units that have provided the parts for this folly of Hoskins to be honest - It's chomped at least 2 CIGs, 2 VOPs, Bits of VEP & bits of EPB/SUB - The to be preserved EMU from EMTs Derby depot. But there you go!

Chris125

Established Member
I don't see any reason to think that the Brighton Belle project will see any more EMU vehicles scrapped than would have happened anyway, it's a sad reality that even now the numbers seem far in excess of the resources, uses and interest needed to preserve them long term.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Maybe so, but when the likes of Bruce Knights former 1881 was virtually mainline ready, baring need of an overhaul, would have been nice to see that saved. I know the BB has its fans, but although more mundane I just feel that there's more history in a CIG or restoring a REP than what is effectively b*sterdising the original BB vehicles to fit them around the Mk1 framework to let them run on the mainline again. Oh well, each to there own.
Next Southern pres project - returning a 442 to original condition perhaps?

Chris125

Established Member
Maybe so, but when the likes of Bruce Knights former 1881 was virtually mainline ready, baring need of an overhaul, would have been nice to see that saved.

IIRC work had stalled for some time and there was no prospect of that changing, who knows it may have become another casualty of Network Rail's test train fleet instead.

I know the BB has its fans, but although more mundane I just feel that there's more history in a CIG or restoring a REP than what is effectively b*sterdising the original BB vehicles to fit them around the Mk1 framework to let them run on the mainline again.

If it was a choice between one or the other that might be an argument worth having, but it isn't - CIGs remain well represented in preservation with four such units currently preserved despite further disposals in recent years.

The problem facing EMU preservation is clearly not a lack of units, but insufficient interest and resources to look after what has been saved and a sustainable use to finance their upkeep - the Brighton Belle is one unit which could have a viable future and could at the very least provide a welcome boost to the profile of EMU preservation while paving the way for others.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't see any reason to think that the Brighton Belle project will see any more EMU vehicles scrapped than would have happened anyway, it's a sad reality that even now the numbers seem far in excess of the resources, uses and interest needed to preserve them long term.

The problem is that it seems to be beyond the ability of the modern railway to be able to run tours on the main line without grossly inflated track access charges, not to mention the ten years of hysteria during which they wouldn't have been allowed to run without barrier vehicles, during which time viable units ended up rotting in the fields.

All so different from my youth, when BR somehow managed to look after and run tours with it's 4SUB and the NRM's 2BIL.

Still, here's hoping the Belle gets completed soon and the VEP restoration succeeds!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.