• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I went to Brighton last Friday, I have not been there for many years. When I was leaving on the 1519 train, I noticed a small green diesel shunting type loco just outside the station. I just wondered what that is used for?

It's interesting too the different type of rolling stock that is used on the Brighton services, I travelled down on the 1012 from Clapham Jct, which was an 8 coach green train, with 2 & 3 seating, and travelled back on a former Wessex Electric train which was really good, it only stopped at E. Croy and Clap Jct, I was surprised that this type of train was used on that service as I thought they were for the Gatwick Expresses, some of which I understood were extended to Brighton. the one I was on went through LGW at quite a speed. Great fast journey anyway. It's a pity SWT got rid of them in favour of the the blue and white Desiro trains which IMO are not nearly as good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I used the Brighton line for the first time earlier this year. The first trip I had time to kill in the early evening (needed the 21:30 off King's Cross) and so decided to catch a Southern stopper, formed of a 377 back to Victoria. I really liked the train, despite it being a bit dirty from the days service.

A few weeks later I decided to try out a 442 from Gatwick, and that proved to be a very enjoyable experience. Sadly, never had an opportunity to use the 442s in Wessex but I did like the unit - I've heard some people say that they are worse for their refurbishment. Shame if that's true.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Would it have been 09026, Southern's shunter which is based at Brighton?

Yes, that looks like the one I saw-Tks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I used the Brighton line for the first time earlier this year. The first trip I had time to kill in the early evening (needed the 21:30 off King's Cross) and so decided to catch a Southern stopper, formed of a 377 back to Victoria. I really liked the train, despite it being a bit dirty from the days service.

A few weeks later I decided to try out a 442 from Gatwick, and that proved to be a very enjoyable experience. Sadly, never had an opportunity to use the 442s in Wessex but I did like the unit - I've heard some people say that they are worse for their refurbishment. Shame if that's true.

The 442 I was on last week seemed fine to me, I walked through most of the 5 coaches, there was a choice or airline style seating and also some with 4 around a table with good full window views which I had and prefer. I think they have altered the position of the first class coach from what is used to be on SWT.

Last edited:

Schnellzug

Established Member

I think Southern took out the bar area and the little "saloon bar" section next to it, which would be a pity.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Yes, first class now occupies what used to be the 'snug' area, the former first class coach is now an open standard saloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.