• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Transport Police - caution or interview under caution? Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ok, I have just edited the first one ever so slightly and am going to send it. I hope it gets across my feelings of remorse. And I hope it is enough to obtain an out of court settlement.

What normally happens from here, please?

Thank you for your input.

mikeg

Established Member
Usually another waiting game and then a letter either:
  1. Offering you a settlement and a period of time in which to pay it (most likely)
  2. Saying that they have considered your letter and will proceed to prosecute
  3. Saying they will take no further action (very unlikely given the circumstances)

You wait a short while (2 to 3 weeks, I guess) and, all being well, they reply with an amount they will accept to close the matter.
Ok, thank you. Fingers crossed for this.
Usually another waiting game and then a letter either:
  1. Offering you a settlement and a period of time in which to pay it (most likely)
  2. Saying that they have considered your letter and will proceed to prosecute
  3. Saying they will take no further action (very unlikely given the circumstances)
Ok, fingers crossed for a settlement. I hope that because I’ve been honest, forthcoming, apologetic that they consider all of this. I feel absolutely terrible for doing such a thing so hopefully that comes across in a letter.

Western Sunset

Established Member
The first one is much the better of the two. It has a more authentic/genuine ring to it too. I don't like the "humbly ask" and "emotional strain" parts to the second one. That could well be counter-productive.

Your first one was very good; keep it simple.

Best wishes on a satisfactory outcome.

The first one is much the better of the two. It has a more authentic/genuine ring to it too. I don't like the "humbly ask" and "emotional strain" parts to the second one. That could well be counter-productive.

Your first one was very good; keep it simple.

Best wishes on a satisfactory outcome.
Thank you, I took these out. Just kept it simple. Thank you so much.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree the first letter is better. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

I agree the first letter is better. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
I sent the first one, just added a bit to it. Thank you, I will do of course. If anything at all it really helps people on here too I am sure. I know I am interested in hearing outcomes. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for your help with this.

added today:

Hello,

I’ve just woken up from my night shift to a missed call and voicemail from a man from SE saying they just wanted to discuss my letter. He sounded very friendly & not scary at all but I’m shaking & trying to pluck up the courage to call him back (of course I will). What could they want do you think?

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
I sent the first one, just added a bit to it. Thank you, I will do of course. If anything at all it really helps people on here too I am sure. I know I am interested in hearing outcomes. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for your help with this.

added today:

Hello,

I’ve just woken up from my night shift to a missed call and voicemail from a man from SE saying they just wanted to discuss my letter. He sounded very friendly & not scary at all but I’m shaking & trying to pluck up the courage to call him back (of course I will). What could they want do you think?
V hard to know why they might be ringing, but the thought occurs to me (and it will have crossed your mind I am sure) is to cross reference any note they may have on file from your interview about other occurrences.

I guess only way you can prep for the call is to sit down in a quiet and calm place when you ring them, and have a glass of water to hand. Answer any questions in brief, factually, and honestly is the only suggestion I would make.

V hard to know why they might be ringing, but the thought occurs to me (and it will have crossed your mind I am sure) is to cross reference any note they may have on file from your interview about other occurrences.

I guess only way you can prep for the call is to sit down in a quiet and calm place when you ring them, and have a glass of water to hand. Answer any questions in brief, factually, and honestly is the only suggestion I would make.
Ok thank you, I am going to take a deep breath and call. I will let you know.

UPDATE:

I have just come off the phone to the nicest man I think I’ve ever spoken to. So nice & understanding. Was even chatting about Covid and hospitals etc. Thanked him for being so nice & understanding & not scary. Told him what had happened & how many times i had done it (told him about how I overestimated it on the statement because didn’t want to look like I was lying to them). He said that I had been good to be honest. He said that he understands & that I won’t be the last person to do it. Felt like I had a nice chat with a friend, such a nice man!

He said he doesn’t want to charge me the full fare & even took into account what I had already paid and deducted that from the total. Said will charge me the lowest admin fee too & couldn’t get it any lower than that & was that okay? I said of course. Thanked him and said how grateful I was for that but also for him being so nice about it too.

He’s sending me the link to pay shortly with my final fee: £546 & case closed.

I realise I am incredibly fortunate to get to speak to someone so nice & for it to be settled out of court after the act of dishonesty. He even made a joke and said ‘at least it wasn’t TFL that caught you!’. I am also incredibly fortunate to not be paying more than that too and them charge me the full fare and full admin fee.

He said it was good that I was honest the whole time.

I want to thank you all SO MUCH for your help and kindness when I was at my lowest from worrying about all of this. I appreciate you all.

I am human, I made a huge mistake. I will never ever do it again.

So, as soon as I get the email I’ll pay & it’s case closed. So relieved & so grateful.

Thank you,
Silly Traveller :)

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

WesternLancer

Established Member

UPDATE:

I have just come off the phone to the nicest man I think I’ve ever spoken to. So nice & understanding. Was even chatting about Covid and hospitals etc. Thanked him for being so nice & understanding & not scary. Told him what had happened & how many times i had done it (told him about how I overestimated it on the statement because didn’t want to look like I was lying to them). He said that I had been good to be honest. He said that he understands & that I won’t be the last person to do it. Felt like I had a nice chat with a friend, such a nice man!

He said he doesn’t want to charge me the full fare & even took into account what I had already paid and deducted that from the total. Said will charge me the lowest admin fee too & couldn’t get it any lower than that & was that okay? I said of course. Thanked him and said how grateful I was for that but also for him being so nice about it too.

I realise I am incredibly fortunate to get to speak to someone so nice & for it to be settled out of court after the act of dishonesty. He even made a joke and said ‘at least it wasn’t TFL that caught you!’. I am also incredibly fortunate to not be paying more than that too and them charge me the full fare and full admin fee.

I want to thank you all SO MUCH for your help and kindness when I was at my lowest from worrying about all of this. I appreciate you all.

So, as soon as I get the email I’ll pay & it’s case closed. So relieved & so grateful.

Thank you,
This sounds like a fair, reasonable and good outcome, hopefully based on the honesty with which you have approached the situation, and which will allow you to put things behind you, whilst also feeling that you have done things to put right what you regret having done. Hope the transaction and case closure all works smoothly.

75A

Established Member

UPDATE:

Thank you,
Great news!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you for letting us know the outcome and pleased that you have managed to sort the issue out.

No problem. I know it’s helpful for people to know the outcome when searching on here for hope!
Thanks again to all for the help and advice.

jumble

Really pleased for you
You were smart enough to follow the advice of those who knew what actions you should take for damage limitation
This again shows that prosecutors often do not want to ruin peoples lives who are remorseful and keen to make things right
Just keep absolutely clean as far as ticketing is concerned as you will not get a second chance and put it behind you.

Really pleased for you
You were smart enough to follow the advice of those who knew what actions you should take for damage limitation
This again shows that prosecutors often do not want to ruin peoples lives who are remorseful and keen to make things right
Just keep absolutely clean as far as ticketing is concerned as you will not get a second chance and put it behind you.
Thanks so much, really appreciated. No I won’t be doing it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.