• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brno selects ‘grand and human, monumental and tangible’ design for new main station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

CZECH REPUBLIC: The city of Brno has selected the winner of an international competition to design a new main station in the Trnitá urban redevelopment area. Completion is envisaged in 2032-35 at a cost of €1·8bn.

The station is to be built on the site of the current Brno Dolní station, around 1 km south of the existing main station in the city centre. It will have 14 platforms, with tram and urban bus stops, a regional bus station with 40 stops, and bicycle and car parking. The central concourse would ‘clearly and intuitively’ connect to two station halls where passengers will have direct sightlines to the next step in their journey, including a view of the cathedral on the skyline.

A glass canopy will collect solar energy, while the design incorporates rainwater management, the use of daylight and natural ventilation, and low temperature floor heating and cooling based on a reversible heat pump. The use of reinforced concrete will be minimised to improve the carbon footprint, with cross-laminated timber used in the roofing structures and cladding.
Source
This video, by the winning team, is worth watching. The design is really breathtaking ....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks a bit like Rotterdam Centraal, with a spacious passenger concourse underneath the platforms. Or Vienna Hbf.
And hopefully not so much like Lisboa Oriente (too many levels and poor access to platforms)...
I suppose St Pancras is the nearest we get to a layout like that, though the concourse there only occupies half the undercroft.

Veteran Member
This is presumably to serve the planned HSL from Prague.

Shame they've just finished major work at the existing, more central, Main station.

Quakkerillo

Looks a bit like Rotterdam Centraal, with a spacious passenger concourse underneath the platforms. Or Vienna Hbf.
And hopefully not so much like Lisboa Oriente (too many levels and poor access to platforms)...
I suppose St Pancras is the nearest we get to a layout like that, though the concourse there only occupies half the undercroft.
That it looked like Rotterdam was also my first thought when seeing that video, with a little hint in the passageway of Eindhoven. I then looked it up, and Rotterdam Centraal was indeed made by the same architect firm.

ABB125

Established Member
I like the look of this! Possibly what might have happened at London Bridge, if they'd chosen to install an overall roof?
I want one in Britain!

Austriantrain

Established Member
This is presumably to serve the planned HSL from Prague.

Shame they've just finished major work at the existing, more central, Main station.

It would actually a pity to replace the perfectly centrally located current main station with a much less central new one. Gain time with the new HSL from Prague (whenever that is ready), lose a big chunk of it again in Brno itself…

Veteran Member
It would actually a pity to replace the perfectly centrally located current main station with a much less central new one. Gain time with the new HSL from Prague (whenever that is ready), lose a big chunk of it again in Brno itself…
IIRC it wasn't practicable to access Hlavni from the HSL. I recall the through platforms being sharply curved too, which isn't ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.