• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brockham (Surrey) AHB Warning Hooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I live near Betchworth and the line runs across the valley from the house. For the last ten days or so trains have been sounding two-tone horns (at least, about 70% of them have) for the Brockham AHB. This previously was not the case. My question is; is this now a requirement for all AHBs, only selected ones (including Brockham), or is there medium-term engineering work underway here which has personnel on the line every day? If it is now a requirement for this AHB, I also wonder why far from all trains are hooting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
The fact that it isn't all trains suggests to me that it isn't the crossing as such but people on the line (whether or not the 'should' be there) that happen to be near the crossing.

Big Jumby 74

The fact that it isn't all trains suggests to me that it isn't the crossing as such but people on the line
If it's NOT all trains, this would suggest there are on the spot instances for individual drivers needing to sound a warning. We are now in the school summer holidays and all that that entails. Perhaps a quick email to NR, although I would hope (if there is a sudden increase in potentially dangerous actions by MOP) drivers involved will have already reported same to Control..

martin2345uk

Established Member
Plus the official rulebook states that if you need to sound a horn at a whistle board etc then its just the low tone I believe rather than both tones?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Plus the official rulebook states that if you need to sound a horn at a whistle board etc then its just the low tone I believe rather than both tones?
I had thought that had been rescinded, but may be wrong.

Is there a foot crossing nearby - it might be for that?
No foot crossing. I've lived here for eleven years and this has only started in the last ten days. There have been upgrades to AHBs along the line recently, and I wondered if this was part of it. The frequency and the location of the soundings feels like responses to W boards but there could have been work personnel on the line for the last ten days at the same spot I suppose. It is school holidays, but the stretch of line is very rural and children are rarely seen there - certainly not with this sort of frequency. Next time I'm up at the AHB I'll look, but I just wondered if anyone knew. BTW, in my experience of countless journeys along the route, it is not uncommon for some W boards to be ignored or missed (as witnessed from the front coach of trains over many years). This isn't a complaint, just a note that not all boards are observed by all drivers by any means.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I live near a foot crossing and almost exclusively hear low tone only.
Yes, there certainly was a time recently when only a single tone was used (after a legal case over noise?) but I had heard that the two tones were back, as they are definitively from a train rather than a more generic horn which could be taken as a road vehicle. I could be wrong.

I live near Betchworth and the line runs across the valley from the house. For the last ten days or so trains have been sounding two-tone horns (at least, about 70% of them have) for the Brockham AHB. This previously was not the case. My question is; is this now a requirement for all AHBs, only selected ones (including Brockham), or is there medium-term engineering work underway here which has personnel on the line every day? If it is now a requirement for this AHB, I also wonder why far from all trains are hooting.
Is it worth your walking down to the crossing and seeing if anything unusual is happenning, and then tell us.
You have aroused our curiosity!

Towers

Established Member
In any case, if drivers are sounding both tones that would suggest that it's in response to a particular, observed hazard. My guess would be some P-way personnel working nearby.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Is it worth your walking down to the crossing and seeing if anything unusual is happenning, and then tell us.
You have aroused our curiosity!
I think so. Just wondered if anyone had any information, and also whether the alleged reinstatement of two-tones for all soundings had occurred. Watch this space!

In any case, if drivers are sounding both tones that would suggest that it's in response to a particular, observed hazard. My guess would be some P-way personnel working nearby.
Yes, but only if the supposed reinstatement of universal 'two-tones' that I had heard about hadn't/hasn't happened. If it had then a two-tone sounding would apply to everything, everywhere.

DelW

Established Member
This may or may not be relevant, but for the last several months, NR (or probably their contractors) have been carrying out tree felling and vegetation clearance on the Direct south of Guildford. During that time, there have been periods when two-tone horns have been audible much more often than normal from my house (about 1/3 of a mile from the line).
Maybe they're now extending this work to the North Downs?

trundlewagon

Yes, but only if the supposed reinstatement of universal 'two-tones' that I had heard about hadn't/hasn't happened. If it had then a two-tone sounding would apply to everything, everywhere
Low tone only is when passing a whistle board.

If there's anybody on or near the line, it's both tones.

Deepgreen

Established Member
This may or may not be relevant, but for the last several months, NR (or probably their contractors) have been carrying out tree felling and vegetation clearance on the Direct south of Guildford. During that time, there have been periods when two-tone horns have been audible much more often than normal from my house (about 1/3 of a mile from the line).
Maybe they're now extending this work to the North Downs?
It could be that, but in the past when that has happened (and there was a huge programme on my line a couple of years ago) I can hear chain-saws, etc., very clearly, which hasn't been the case this time. Thanks.

DelW

Established Member
It could be that, but in the past when that has happened (and there was a huge programme on my line a couple of years ago) I can hear chain-saws, etc., very clearly, which hasn't been the case this time. Thanks.
Maybe they're working rather further away this time? My experience suggests that the horns are audible over a wider area than the equipment they're using, which I've only rarely been able to hear.

Admittedly this is all pure speculation on my part!

Deepgreen

Established Member
All is solved - the AHB has had major works to install protective railings, concrete steps and sundry other access improvements to the series of equipment cabinets there. I'm guessing that concrete setting meant work was sporadic, hence the inconsistent hooting. The AHB site is hugely changed from about two years ago, with new cameras, continuous audible sounders when closed and now major access work, all with much bright yellow kit in evidence! Now all we need is the third train per hour - maybe too much to hope for, though!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Buckland has new AHBs as well took them best part of six months to prep the site then a week long closure of the crossing to finalise installation as well as dozens of the orange army all week standing around with their hands in their pockets. No wonder todays railway cost so much.
1660169807893.png
Was formerly a penguin AHB
1660169906058.png
Not exactly sure what was wrong with them and to only put back AHBs seems odd

Deepgreen

Established Member
Buckland has new AHBs as well took them best part of six months to prep the site then a week long closure of the crossing to finalise installation as well as dozens of the orange army all week standing around with their hands in their pockets. No wonder todays railway cost so much.
View attachment 119077
Was formerly a penguin AHB
View attachment 119078
Not exactly sure what was wrong with them and to only put back AHBs seems odd
Indeed - I was walking there (Buckland that is) while the work was underway and it did seem a very inefficient scene. The crossing was fenced off and we were allowed to cross when the line was verified to be clear. However, it took me checking RTT and telling the orange-kitted chap 'guarding' it that there were no trains nearby for him to allow us across!! My thought was - how is this any different from the many foot crossings along the line in terms of allowing pedestrians to cross? New barriers and sundry other stuff was being installed, and I assume it's all linked to the 3tph 'dream', which, along with 769s, may never materialise.

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
If the work was being done by contractors, I’m not surprised that some were stood around not doing very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.