• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buddleia plants covering railway infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trailfinder

Using the line between Paddington and Hayes, I must congratulate Network Rail on the fine display of the lineside buddleia this year. It is also good to see that they are covering up the brickwork of the Wharncliffe Viaduct with the plants.

With all the flowers now turning to seed, we can look forward to a better display next year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Using the line between Paddington and Hayes, I must congratulate Network Rail on the fine display of the lineside buddleia this year. It is also good to see that they are covering up the brickwork of the Wharncliffe Viaduct with the plants.

With all the flowers now turning to seed, we can look forward to a better display next year.

Yes, this does my head in too. on my journey to Waterloo East from High Brooms every day I can see Buddleia in between the bricks in overbridges, in retaining walls, in viaducts, actually all over the roof of Hither Green station buildings and covered (out of use) underpass, and just generally in the ballast.

And I can see the brick layers being distorted, bricks coming out of place etc.

All in all a great danger to the railway (some bridge parapets are going to fall on the track) and storing up a huge cost.

As someone from a TOC recently said to me: "if you had Buddleia growing out of the walls or roof of your house, you'd do something about it. Why doesn't Network Rail?"

Established Member
It's not just Buddliea either, you have Japenese knotweed, ragwort and mares tail in abundance. Sadly the days of the fissions kill anything weed spray are long gone. Stuff like knotweed have measures on how you destroy it.

route:oxford

Established Member
It's not just Buddliea either, you have Japenese knotweed, ragwort and mares tail in abundance. Sadly the days of the fissions kill anything weed spray are long gone. Stuff like knotweed have measures on how you destroy it.

Weeds are everywhere.

I was in Stirling last weekend and it was very worrying indeed to look up at the rooflines of buildings there.

This image is from October 2016

https://goo.gl/maps/JiFTFqaW6gu

But right now similar can be seen around the rooftops of the Wolfcraig building, Port Street, Murray Place, King Street, Barton Street and there is masses of Japanese knotwood spurting out of walls at the end of Barton Street.

Envoy

Established Member
Surely, Network Rail’s negligence in failing to tackle the Japanese Knotweed & Buddleia menace will mean great costs in the future due to the root damage to infrastructure caused by these plants? They also lay themselves open to getting sued by owners of property boarding NR land.

It is the same with lineside trees and bushes that are allowed to grow out of control.

Last edited:

mwmbwls

Surely, Network Rail’s negligence in failing to tackle the Japanese Knotweed & Buddleia menace will mean great costs in the future due to the root damage to infrastructure caused by these plants? They also lay themselves open to getting sued by owners of property boarding NR land.

It is the same with lineside trees and buses that are allowed to grow out of control.

I concur with the concept that out of control buses are a serious problem.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely, Network Rail’s negligence in failing to tackle the Japanese Knotweed & Buddleia menace will mean great costs in the future due to the root damage to infrastructure caused by these plants?
Yes. But individuals who control budgets may be looking only at short term costs.
They also lay themselves open to getting sued by owners of property boarding NR land. .
Yes. See: Network Rail lose knotweed case.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It's ok, something will happen due to the plants and the knee jerk reaction will be a rapid removal of it all with funds being diverted from something else that is costed and essential to do it!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Sadly the days of the fissions kill anything weed spray are long gone.

If it uses fission to destroy weeds then I'm not surprised it was banned. It might even explain some of the mutant triffids we see around the railway today.

fgwrich

Established Member
It seems NR must be testing a new Garden Railway policy to go with the governments New Garden Towns plans, as yesterday's trip on the SWML seemed to show a fair few swathes of green trackbed with some rails thrown in. Or perhaps their just testing a few features out for an entry for next years RHS Chelsea Flower Show?

Actually, come to think of it, this might make some of you laugh - it's sort of appropriate to the subject. From The official Home of Modern Toss.

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 183

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I concur with the concept that out of control buses are a serious problem.

Indeed -- one hit the railway bridge at Norbiton that had only recently been replaced. Did much more damage to the bus than to the bridge, however.

Back to the actual thread topic: there are signs along the viaduct at Turnham Green that warn of the presence of Japanese Knotweed. I'm not quite sure why it is deemed necessary to warn people about it as it isn't poisonous; furthermore, seeing that it poses a real danger to structures, might it not be better actually to try to remove the weed from the viaduct?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Indeed -- one hit the railway bridge at Norbiton that had only recently been replaced. Did much more damage to the bus than to the bridge, however.

Back to the actual thread topic: there are signs along the viaduct at Turnham Green that warn of the presence of Japanese Knotweed. I'm not quite sure why it is deemed necessary to warn people about it as it isn't poisonous; furthermore, seeing that it poses a real danger to structures, might it not be better actually to try to remove the weed from the viaduct?

I've always thought the same when seeing one of those skid risk permanent signs on the roadway - why not actually remove the skid risk?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If Japanese Knotweed ever got into the pway would they have close whatever line(s) to treat and eradicate it?

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Presume it's to make it less likely that people will transport bits of it further afield, and it ought to be a temporary measure pending removal. A little like those signs that say you are entering/leaving an environmental protection zone - no relevance to safety but a warning nonetheless.

eastdyke

Established Member
This was given by Network Rail in response to an enquiry in 2013:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/invasive_weed_treatment

Network Rail, Network Rail Limited 9 September 2013

Dear Mr Cox

Thank you for your email of 12 August 2013 where you requested the following information:

“I am writing to request information regarding the treatment, control and eradication of invasive weeds, such as Japanese Knotweed and Giant Hogweed on Network Rail owned land.

Please could you respond to the questions listed below.

1. Do Network Rail have a policy for controlling the spread of invasive weeds on Network Rail owned land?

2. Do Network Rail have a policy for controlling the spread of invasive weeds from Network Rail owned land onto adjoining land, whether this adjoining land is owned privately or commercially?

3. Do Network Rail have a policy for eradicating invasive weeds found on Network Rail owned land?

4. Do Network Rail have a policy for eradicating invasive weeds from land adjoining Network Rail owned land, where invasive weeds have spread from the Network Rail owned land onto the adjoining land?

5. Who (and which department) at Network Rail is responsible for any policy involving the treatment of invasive weeds?

6. Who (and which department) at Network Rail is responsible for the treatment/control/eradication of invasive weeds?”

Network Rail is not covered by the Freedom of Information Act, so we don’t deal with requests in the same way as bodies which are. Nevertheless, our focus is on proactively disclosing information as if we were bound by the Act hence we strive to adopt the same principles.

Q1-4. Network Rail has a vegetation management standard that states “invasive and hazardous weeds shall be managed… according to the risk posed to the safe operational railway and, in certain circumstances, to lineside neighbours in order to comply with relevant legislation” and that management will take place according to industry good practice.

Eradication of these species can happen on a small scale, but is very much related to the funding available and it may be that ‘containment’ or ‘control’ are sometimes better management options.

5. The vegetation management standard is ‘owned’ by the Professional Head of Track.

6. The management of vegetation, including these weeds is undertaken by Network Operations or their external contractors.

I hope that this information is suitable to your needs. Should you have any further queries in relation to this please do not hesitate to contact.

Yours sincerely

Chetna Khatri
Transparency Advisor

The Quadrant, Milton Keynes, MK9 1EN

So perhaps a weed needs to be both 'invasive and hazardous'?
Buddleia is not hazardous per se so probably has only scant attention in most situations.

It would need to be considered as potentially hazardous in situations like (Liverpool) Lime Street cutting. It is present there, both in and around the cutting walls.

Bayum

Established Member

It's an incredibly hardy plant. Trace amounts on clothing and shoes are enough to allow it to be taken back home unawares for it to begin growing elsewhere.

Darbs

Most vegetation clearance comes under the maintenance organisation which is under funded, under resourced and under equipped. Sad but true.

Monarch010

On the other hand though, the vegetation does, in places, cover up the graffiti and prevent any more from defacing the lineside.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Most vegetation clearance comes under the maintenance organisation which is under funded, under resourced and under equipped. Sad but true.

and there is the truth of the matter.

The other truth of the matter is access - particularity in constrained urban environments or in hard to reach places

I assume you have never tried to get rid of it (properly &/or legally) or understood how easily it can spread if disturbed. It aint a simple bit of weeding. Would that it were!

I assume you have never tried to get rid of it (properly &/or legally) or understood how easily it can spread if disturbed. It aint a simple bit of weeding. Would that it were!

One good thing - the seeds are sterile - There are no male plants in the uk.
They really are storing up an expensive problem, not just on the railway.
Half an inch of live plant can grow. Cutting the plant down, and waiting for it to regrow and spraying with glyphosate when the leaves turn from red to green. Material can be burnt or left to dry out on infected site. Once dry it is dead.
The are strict regulations on removing plant material from site.
Rhizomes can appear to be dormant for 5 years - long term treatment plan.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
One good thing - the seeds are sterile - There are no male plants in the uk.
They really are storing up an expensive problem, not just on the railway.
Half an inch of live plant can grow. Cutting the plant down, and waiting for it to regrow and spraying with glyphosate when the leaves turn from red to green. Material can be burnt or left to dry out on infected site. Once dry it is dead.
The are strict regulations on removing plant material from site.
Rhizomes can appear to be dormant for 5 years - long term treatment plan.

i know how we dealt with years ago on building sites. ;) ( massively illegal these days!)

It is a long term job to get rid of the stuff. It is like a horticultural zombie!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It's ok, something will happen due to the plants and the knee jerk reaction will be a rapid removal of it all with funds being diverted from something else that is costed and essential to do it!

Not takling things early and before they have caused damage isn't a particularly sensible thing to do.

As an example, there has been large scale tree felling on the WCML in Lancashire. This has no doubt cost a lot of money. However, despite cutting down large trees, much smaller trees which could be cut in a few minutes rather than hours or days have been left. So in a few years Network Rail are going to have exactly the same problem with leaves on the line and it is going to cost far more to cut them down.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes but the little trees are much easier to control once you've got rid of all the big ones

muddythefish

On Moderation
NR could electrify the whole system and pay off the national debt if they could sell all their buddleas on the open market

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Yes but the little trees are much easier to control once you've got rid of all the big ones

Control? They've done their work and moved on. I doubt they will be 'controlling' anything and the point is little trees grow into big ones.

neilmc

Not complaining about the buddleia.

Butterflies love buddleia and these days I spot butterflies far more than trains, though trying to spot a rare fritillary at Arnside is hell of a lot harder than spotting a class 20 on the nuclear flask traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.