• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buried Railway Vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarby

Bit of a mystery then. Could it be that scrapping was planned, then the presence of disturbed asbestos was found and no one wanted to touch it, so it was taken to landfill instead?
Could well be. Maybe EEC Blackpool was the company entrusted with the scrapping and it was just registered as being at Hull Dairycoates, as you say, according to the plan. Given some of the myths that have grown around the fate of various stock, we maybe have to take scrapping details as published with a pinch of salt - after all, they're not really intended for rail enthusiasts to dissect! It would seem strange that the book would say they were wrapped in sheeting and buried if they weren't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
I seem to recall, many decades before that, that a Furness Railway (I think) loco disappeared into a hole that opened up under it. The story as it exists in my head is that it was abandoned where it fell. Can someone confirm, correct, etc.?
Yes, I've read that as well. Somewhere...

dubscottie

Not quite digging up, but various asbestos-contaminated NIR (and some CIÉ) stock was dumped in a flooded quarry at Crosshill, near Crumlin in County Antrim, in the 1980s. The quarry was then drained and the vehicles recovered, crushed (according to some sources) and buried encapsulated in clay on the same site in the early 21st century. Apparently the move was triggered by the vehicles being "unintentionally exposed" while partially draining the quarry, see https://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/lt/645/645836/645836en.pdf. (There's an old thread on Crosshill Quarry here, but it doesn't discuss events subsequent to the initial dumping.)
I suppose technically they were "sunk" rather than buried at first.
There is a picture in one of my books that shows that at least one vehicle refused to sink at first.
When it was rolled into the quarry pool by a digger, it hit the water perfectly upside down.
The picture shows this coach on its roof slowly floating out into the middle of the pool!

matchmaker

Established Member
This was something I was wondering. I assume it to be classed as contaminated ground and subject to regulations. I would imagine such a vehicle would have to either be removed or avoided during any development.
Does anyone know what the Cohen's and Patersons sites are currently used for?
Patersons site is being reclaimed, as far as I know. For a stinking landfill site (it really stank!), the name of "Greenoakhill" didn't seem appropriate!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Patersons site is being reclaimed, as far as I know. For a stinking landfill site (it really stank!), the name of "Greenoakhill" didn't seem appropriate!

I take it this will not involve exhuming the 27 and 126 units? My smilies don't work so imagine a big grin!

Status
Not open for further replies.