• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

Snow1964

Established Member
Wrightbus have been given £11.2m of taxpayers cash

Apparently to develop hydrogen buses (aren’t they already developed ?)

Not totally sure a company that previously took money, diverted it to a church, reorganised itself, should be getting handouts as it is unfair on competition having to fund own research & development But I guess Northern Ireland political bribes/grants are deemed acceptable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swanny200

Not totally sure a company that previously took money, diverted it to a church, reorganised itself, should be getting handouts as it is unfair on competition having to fund own research & development But I guess Northern Ireland political bribes/grants are deemed acceptable.

But it is now owned by their Brexit supporting, best mate Bamford, so it is all OK

Volvodart

Established Member

alphabravo43

Quite a cynical view there, Hydrogen buses have already been developed, but should we stop there? If we stopped developing we'd be on unecomoival diesel half cabs with a rear platform still. Technology is fast paced in it's changes, Wrightbus should keep developing, range is improving on all technologies but for some applications it needs to develop further still, i.e. can we make it lighter, can we make it run longer, faster, etc etc. This only serves to improve things for our enviroment and society.
In terms of the company now, it's been separated from those who were involved in the church and is able to apply for grants as much as any other company, Optare and ADL can get access to such funds as well.

Swanny200

Quite a cynical view there, Hydrogen buses have already been developed, but should we stop there? If we stopped developing we'd be on unecomoival diesel half cabs with a rear platform still. Technology is fast paced in it's changes, Wrightbus should keep developing, range is improving on all technologies but for some applications it needs to develop further still, i.e. can we make it lighter, can we make it run longer, faster, etc etc. This only serves to improve things for our enviroment and society.
In terms of the company now, it's been separated from those who were involved in the church and is able to apply for grants as much as any other company, Optare and ADL can get access to such funds as well.
Yes, but I'm sure you can understand the cynicism when the Government are handing out large amounts of money like confetti to friends and donors to the Conservative party, and Mr Bamford is one of them, I could probably guarantee that if one of the other companies had tried to access the same pot, then they would likely have been told that there was no money available.

alphabravo43

Yes, but I'm sure you can understand the cynicism when the Government are handing out large amounts of money like confetti to friends and donors to the Conservative party, and Mr Bamford is one of them, I could probably guarantee that if one of the other companies had tried to access the same pot, then they would likely have been told that there was no money available.
At least it is a bit more legitimate than the bogus PPE contracts during the pandemic

Pacerman99

Coach and bus week has done a feature on the new Wright single decker, it's behind a paywall though

Snow1964

Established Member
Alexander Dennis says 172 electric buses funded by Scottish Government £40.5m latest (second) round of Low emissions Hemel funding, will be made at Falkirk, no further details of operators in the press release

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Remember to add quotations from your sources, please.

Leki

Wrightbus have been given £11.2m of taxpayers cash... ...should be getting handouts as it is unfair on competition having to fund own research & development But I guess Northern Ireland political bribes/grants are deemed acceptable.

Row over Scottish Enterprise grant to firm linked with SNP donor / The Courier - 11 September 2016

A cronyism row has broken out over the handing of £7.3m of taxpayers’ cash to a transport firm closely linked with major SNP donor and Perthshire tycoon Sir Brian Souter.
Bus manufacturer Alexander Dennis Ltd (ADL) has been awarded the largest research and development grant in quango Scottish Enterprise’s history despite recording an £18.5m profit last year.
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/new...row-over-grant-to-firm-linked-with-snp-donor/

Maybe given that we're fortunate to have a genuinely UK based bus building industry that not only supports manufacturing jobs but also does its research and innovation here (unlike our car and train assembly lines), perhaps we can stop this kind of sniping about Wrights.

They undoubtedly made a lot of mistakes prior to going into administration and their low powered Euro 6 vehicles are not without issues, but it's good news that a large British employer was saved and it's good news that bus operators continue to have a choice of innovative buses tailored for the UK market.

I honestly think the ADL "fanboy" culture that seems to have taken over bus enthusiast circles is getting seriously tedious now.

Surreyman

The site does give details of the bids:

First Glasgow no1 - 91 E400 EV + 35 E200EV.
Stagecoach Bluebird - 22 E400 EV
Stagecoach West - 15 E200 EV
Stagecoach East - 9 E200 EV
McGills - 33 Yutong
Ember Core - 6 Yutong + 4 Arrival

I am assuming the ADL element is for E400/E200 EV

The amounts of funding detailed also include infrastructure - presumably charging equipment & hooking up to power supplies.

MotCO

Established Member
Also interesting that Ember have chosen 4 Arrival buses or coaches.

Swanny200

Also interesting that Ember have chosen 4 Arrival buses or coaches.
Yes, that was a bit odd, I would have thought they would have stayed with their current supplier, however Arrival are trialing a bus with First in the Autumn, for Ember to go and do that would suggest a lot of trust in Arrival.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yes, that was a bit odd, I would have thought they would have stayed with their current supplier, however Arrival are trialing a bus with First in the Autumn, for Ember to go and do that would suggest a lot of trust in Arrival.
Keep in mind Ember are not really a bus operator but more a trial project with significant external investment. So them going after the Arrival product is really not a huge surprise.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please bear in mind that Ember has its own thread here:

I have moved a few posts over as they were mainly focussed on the operator rather than the manufacturer.

Volvodart

Established Member
The first part of the 4,000 zero-emission buses has started with funding for up to 500 buses being available for bids.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...r-zero-emission-buses-across-england-launched

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has today (30 March 2021) launched a multimillion-pound scheme to enable local transport authorities to roll out zero-emission buses as the government continues to build back greener.

Up to £120 million is being made available through the zero-emission-buses regional area (ZEBRA) scheme, which will allow local transport authorities to:

• bid for funding to purchase zero-emission buses
  • reduce the carbon emissions from their local public transport
  • improve air quality in towns and cities across England
The funding will deliver up to 500 zero-emission buses, supporting the government’s wider commitment to introduce 4,000 zero-emission buses.

The funding comes from the wider £3 billion fund announced by the government to improve bus services in our national bus strategy published on 15 March.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
An open top operator in Tokyo have received some custom built convertible Wright Gemini 3 bodied open toppers based on a Scania chassis.

Below is a photo showing one of the vehicles.
ExswsAcVEAQTzEJ
Photo source - https://twitter.com/HATOBUS_JP/status/1376747663488475136/photo/1

MotCO

Established Member
It looks as though the staircase is just aft of the central door on the nearside. Also the doors appear to be single-pieced.

Volvodart

Established Member
It seems to have taken a long time to come to fruition, as Wrightbus mentioned that they were working with Scania in Japan in 2018 with delivery mid 2019.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
An article from Keybuses in 2018 confirms they're Scania K-Series based and real!
Japanese tour operator orders Wright open-tops

Japanese tour operator Hatobus has ordered five Wright-bodied Scania open-top double deckers for delivery in mid-2019.

These first double-deckers that Wrightbus has ever built on Scania chassis will incorporate a three-axle low-entry version of the K-series chassis. They are due in service in Tokyo in time for the Rugby World Cup being held in Japan between 20 September and 2 November.

Route-One also made mention of Scania and Wright working together for the Japan market at around the same time.
Additionally, to offset the challenging British market, Wrightbus is its developing overseas business. Chile and Mexico are showing promise, as is Oceania. It is working with Scania in Japan, and other territories in the Far East continue to deliver fruit in partnership with Volvo – although a development of the StreetDeck for a customer in Hong Kong may be of interest to UK buyers.

cnjb8

Established Member
I agree. I didn't know Gemini 3s were built on Scania chassis
The whole RHD thing means we don't often see combos like that in the UK (I'm not denying Wright would ever not sell this potential product here!). It would certainly be interesting to see them here though

Arriva Fan

Who is doing WrightBuses Marketing/Social Media? It's none existent. A new Single Decker now a Scania Gemini and nothing, no fanfare, no look 'WrightBus in Japan'. The SD is still, I believe, nameless.

If this were ADL, or even Optare, it'd be all over Twitter.