• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

Snow1964

Established Member
"Knocked-down", although in this case it seems that only interior fit-out work will be done in the UK.

In a true knocked down it is assembling from the parts made at and supplied from another location. The Pelican arrangement is more a fit out (and possibly seats, wifi, cctv systems etc will be separate direct from their suppliers and not part of the bus manufacturer kit)

It probably suits Yutong as well, if a European operator wants something non-standard, they don’t have to take it to a Chinese factory with all the risk of trying to fit it on a standardised production line. Means can supply a cheaper standard vehicle for fit out, and much easier to hold dealer stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
In a true knocked down it is assembling from the parts made at and supplied from another location. The Pelican arrangement is more a fit out (and possibly seats, wifi, cctv systems etc will be separate direct from their suppliers and not part of the bus manufacturer kit)

It probably suits Yutong as well, if a European operator wants something non-standard, they don’t have to take it to a Chinese factory with all the risk of trying to fit it on a standardised production line. Means can supply a cheaper standard vehicle for fit out, and much easier to hold dealer stock.
I believe Wright and ADL used to do this for Hong Kong and Singapore orders but now do it in house to protect jobs

Volvodart

Established Member
Wrightbus said its recent orders from Hong Kong and Japan would be from its factory in Malaysia.

Tom Gallacher

I believe Wright and ADL used to do this for Hong Kong and Singapore orders but now do it in house to protect jobs
I've seen an ADL Hong Kong bound decker heading down the motorway on a good few occasions so I think that they are sent over complete from them. They can probably get them sent over at a cheap rate using the vehicle carrying ships that return from Europe to the far east mostly empty.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I've seen an ADL Hong Kong bound decker heading down the motorway on a good few occasions so I think that they are sent over complete from them. They can probably get them sent over at a cheap rate using the vehicle carrying ships that return from Europe to the far east mostly empty.
These are normally first production examples or demonstrators. There isn't a production line in the UK for Hong Kong E500s anymore.

Gag Halfrunt

This was discussed last year, when Unite alleged that the Berlin double-deckers would be assembled in Turkey.

This is an extension of what ADL have been doing for quite some time, the Asian market has been served by final assembly in a plant in China with the chassis assembly having taken place in Singapore. Whilst there was/is a considerable element of ckd (completely knocked down) involved locally sourced content has been increasing. It is unclear if this proposal is more of he same or an attempt to start producing UK market vehicles using this approach.
It is a little old but there is a report by the Hong Kong branch of the iMechE on a visit to the plant in China here
[/URL]

Established Member
And Streetdecks...

I can't comment on the Bamford StreetLites because I've yet to ride on one, but my opinion of the Bamford StreetDecks is that the build quality is leagues better than it was before the takeover. I'm actually hoping the Liverpool City Region decide to buy those instead of Enviro400s for the upcoming hydrogen trial between Liverpool and St Helens.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I can't comment on the Bamford StreetLites because I've yet to ride on one, but my opinion of the Bamford StreetDecks is that the build quality is leagues better than it was before the takeover. I'm actually hoping the Liverpool City Region decide to buy those instead of Enviro400s for the upcoming hydrogen trial between Liverpool and St Helens.
I have to admit, I actually don't find the Streetlites or Streetdecks too bad. Yes it's not a Citaro or an OmniCity DD but they are still decent and comfortable buses to ride on.
Although I will admit that I only find Streetlites and Streetdecks suitable to town or city work - for longer distance stuff you'll want a Citaro, Volvo, Scania, Optare or ADL.

Established Member
If they're clever, they'd split the order down the middle to establish which one is better.

They've already trialed the Enviro400, albeit not in passenger service. I'm fairly sure the StreetDeck FCEV wasn't available at the time of the trial.

Splitting the order on that, or any basis, wouldn't be a very sound strategy. As they'll be publicly owned vehicles, Merseytravel would have to source spare parts for two separate vehicle types, and this would be more expensive than sourcing them for just the one vehicle type. There'd also be the issue of ending up with a micro fleet of ten unwanted buses which are still fairly new, and selling them off really wouldn't be an astute move politically.

Thankfully whatever they are, they'll be in Merseytravel's "MetroBus" livery, which is a lot better than the Arriva and Stagecoach "eco" liveries. The latter is particularly dreadful.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Discussion of Stop-Start technology has been moved here:

baza585

Go North East have had the 6 first cylinder Merc engined Streetdeck for a while now. Anyone know how its getting on in terms of reliability and driveability?

Arriva Fan

Go North East have had the 6 first cylinder Merc engined Streetdeck for a while now. Anyone know how its getting on in terms of reliability and driveability?
First in the UK. Bus Vannin were the first to actually get them.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Volvo has launched its new 9700 in the UK and Ireland.

Wednesday 28 April marked the official launch of the new Volvo 9700 integral coach to the UK and Irish markets.

The vehicle announcement was made at 1200hrs via a specially created reveal video hosted on the company’s official social media channels.

Built on the B11R driveline, Volvo says the 9700 ‘blends luxury, performance, practicality and flexibility for any operation.’

David Porter, Sales Manager for Volvo Bus UK & Ireland, said: “After a hugely challenging 12 months for the whole industry, we’re delighted to announce some really positive news. The launch of the Volvo 9700 complete coach to the UK and Irish market is an exciting development for customers and Volvo Bus.

“Operators will no doubt be familiar with the new Volvo coach family, the 9700 shares many of the futuristic design features incorporated into the 9900 coupled with others, such as PSVAR capability making it the perfect, versatile addition to our customers fleets.

“We know as the industry is getting back on its feet, operators will be reassured by having the support of a manufacturing partner, who understands more than ever the importance of reliable vehicles and quality aftermarket back-up and support. Volvo Bus, the 9700 and Volvo’s dedicated dealer network delivers this and more.”

The new 9700 forms part of what Volvo Buses described as the’ biggest revision of its European coach range in recent history.’

I think it's a nice-looking motor, and I definitely prefer it to the 9900 in terms of styling. I wonder, given that there are so many new double-deck coaches being ordered these days, if they will decide to launch the 9700DD over here too.

fgwrich

Established Member
Optare (now Switch Mobility) have a new website,
but it is bit sparse so far

It's all a bit, well, 1990s. And I still believe that "Switch Mobility" is an absolutely dreadful name for a bus building company. It sounds like a manufacturer of electric wheelchairs or stairlifts.

Volvo has launched its new 9700 in the UK and Ireland.

I think it's a nice-looking motor, and I definitely prefer it to the 9900 in terms of styling. I wonder, given that there are so many new double-deck coaches being ordered these days, if they will decide to launch the 9700DD over here too.
On a slight thread diversion - I've just watched the small video down the side of the article from the Wrights / Bamford Hydrogen Street Deck which includes a small capture from inside (towards the end). Unhelpfully, it is being driven down a cobbled street, but, oh dear - a considerable number of rattles could be heard. I'm surprised just how low density it appears to be on the bottom deck too.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
Optare (now Switch Mobility) have a new website,
but it is bit sparse so far

I don't know if it's deliberate, but that looks to me like the website of a new tech start up without current products, but promising radical technological breakthroughs

Not sure that Optare Switch really fits that sort of image...

Non Multi

I don't know if it's deliberate, but that looks to me like the website of a new tech start up without current products, but promising radical technological breakthroughs

They do have a hard earned reputation for vapourware, so yes, I'd say it's a good fit.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
On a slight thread diversion - I've just watched the small video down the side of the article from the Wrights / Bamford Hydrogen Street Deck which includes a small capture from inside (towards the end). Unhelpfully, it is being driven down a cobbled street, but, oh dear - a considerable number of rattles could be heard. I'm surprised just how low density it appears to be on the bottom deck too.

To be fair even the well built early Geminis at Lothian that are otherwise completely solid rattle on the cobbled streets.

Obviously older stuff like Alexander PS B10Ms and other high floor buses would fare better but they're from a different era.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Part of it is just down the way some cameras pick up rattles. Having been on them quite a few times in person i can safely say they don't rattle that much at all.
Obviously older stuff like Alexander PS B10Ms and other high floor buses would fare better but they're from a different era.
On that note the Northern Counties Paladin is still by far the most rattily bus i've ever had the displeasure of sitting in... Even some Streetlites are more bearable and that's saying something!

You have to laugh at them saying they're the future with a product line-up that's mostly approaching 15 years old where almost every product is based on the frame of a 1990s minibus!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Part of it is just down the way some cameras pick up rattles. Having been on them quite a few times in person i can safely say they don't rattle that much at all.

On that note the Northern Counties Paladin is still by far the most rattily bus i've ever had the displeasure of sitting in... Even some Streetlites are more bearable and that's saying something!

You have to laugh at them saying they're the future with a product line-up that's mostly approaching 15 years old where almost every product is based on the frame of a 1990s minibus!
Just interested to know whose Paladin it was, most I've been on have been fine.

It must be quite difficult to find a modern bus that rattles more than a Streetlite.

Arriva Fan

It must be quite difficult to find a modern bus that rattles more than a Streetlite.
The Enviro, StreetLites are much smoother and ride the roads better than Enviros. They feel better built and are much nicer to drive.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Stagecoach P-MNE & R-XVM examples, the whole front ends on them jiggled about at the slightest crack in the road and they seemed just generally really flimsy.
The Enviro, StreetLites are much smoother and ride the roads better than Enviros. They feel better built and are much nicer to drive.
Enviros can really vary depending on specific batch, spec and year built. The 10.8M Streetlites i've been on have been significantly better than the 11.5M examples which can only be summed up as gutless rattling lunch boxes. However even then with the 26 examples here some are more bearable than others.

Mikey C

Established Member
The MMCs are much more solid

Whereas the Cadet and Gemini 1/2, as a passenger, felt like a step up in quality from their equivalent ADL product, the tables have since turned

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I agree. Whilst Streetlites aren’t great (esp that emergency door handle going like a machine gun), they are not as bad as the NC/Plaxton Prestige (though the Paladin wasn’t great). The worst - hands down.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Given that early Streetlites are now probably past their mid life, you'd have thought that the well known rattling emergency door would have been sorted by now. I guess the new ones are also still the same (not been on one recently).

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The topic of the thread is manufacturer news. Discussion of rattly vehicles which have already been in service for some time - and may even have been scrapped (Paladins?!) - isn't really on-topic.

M803UYA

The 10.8M Streetlites i've been on have been significantly better than the 11.5M examples which can only be summed up as gutless rattling lunch boxes. However even then with the 26 examples here some are more bearable than others.
I think the vehicle length plays a part in how awful a Streetlite is. The 11.5metre is too large for the cummins engine output so is a underpowered vehicle, sluggish to take off and hard to stop. So the engine which can't handle the length and weight is constantly overstressed, leading to early failure. The shortest 'wheel forward' examples around 29/30 seats are extremely quick vehicles, and the same engine delivers a more than acceptable turn of speed and is a very pleasant vehicle to travel in as a passenger. Thankfully I've not had the 'privilege' of driving a Streetlite so am unable to comment on how dreadful they are from a driver's perspective. I have however travelled in many of them as a passenger!