• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Provision for the Commonwealth Games 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
First kernow are sending e400mmcs and 23 drivers. Not sure exact number of buses going.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
There was notable movement of Stagecoach buses southbound on the M6 between Wigan and Leyland around 3-4pm today.
I was driving so difficult to check but it looked like three separate convoys.
7x Enviro 400 with green vinyls on lower bodysides showing (Scottish?) route branding (I thought I read Anstruther as one of the towns on the route)
3x Enviro 400 plus 2x single deckers
5x Enviro 400 looking quite shabby where all advert posters had been scraped off
All were in beachball not the new livery
Some of them are going to need a respray before use

On top of that there were around 6-7 all-white unbranded newish looking single deckers heading south in two and threes, plus 2-3 newish white Scania three-axle coaches, also unbranded.

Last edited by a moderator:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The Stagecoach East Scotland vehicles which I know have been sent down are:

11176-82/84-89/91, 11560-5, 13041-3, 13047-56/8, 13111/2/4/6/7, 19667/9, 19895, 19898/9, 26006/9/11/14/15 and 26349-53, totalling 54. There are probably others that I don't know about, or haven't gone on holiday yet.

Stagecoach East Scotland are sending their entire fleet of E400MMCs[...]
Except 10906/20 (at the moment)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One thing of note is that these vehicle loans are seemingly causing service cuts in some locations. One specific one I have heard of is Lancaster.

Wasn't it the case that for the Olympics new vehicles were purchased which were then cascaded, at least in part, to reduce this?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
One thing of note is that these vehicle loans are seemingly causing service cuts in some locations. One specific one I have heard of is Lancaster.

Wasn't it the case that for the Olympics new vehicles were purchased which were then cascaded, at least in part, to reduce this?
The Olympics were a much bigger deal. First did indeed have a slew of new deckers sent to London ahead of their eventual deployment to Manchester, Leeds and Plymouth. However, I recall that a lot of older Stagecoach schools deckers were kept going through the summer, allowing vehicles to be moved to release the newest deckers to London. I recall Newcastle with a lot of Scottish and Yorkshire deckers on loan in summer 2012

randyrippley

Established Member

Lancaster would have summer cuts anyway during University vacation.

Russel

I'm led to believe Stagecoach Hampshire / South are supplying a number of MMCs as well, as we've had several away for interior modifications of late and replacement in the form of ex Ayrshire E200s.

What are the internal modifications that are being made?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Saw Stagecoach branded buses going up and down the Tyburn Road frequently yesterday, route learning perhaps?

Established Member

University term ended weeks ago. There are further cuts from next week "for the school holidays". They've also cancelled a lengthy list of journeys for the whole week this week, despite already being on the reduced out of term schedules.

Woolos 22

How can Stagecoach send all these buses to Birmingham when they are short of drivers?

richw

Veteran Member
How can Stagecoach send all these buses to Birmingham when they are short of drivers?
They’re not sending anywhere near as many as planned. They’ve sub contracted a lot of their work out to others

driver9000

Established Member

While the University has traditionally seen a reduction in frequency during the holidays this hasn't been to the detriment of the rest of the local network. They aren't just cutting journeys to the University this affects buses running from Heysham, Morecambe, Carnforth, Preston to Lancaster and some of the withdrawn journeys are commuter services plus some of the affected routes don't even serve the University. This is on top of the existing cancellations that happen day to day so to see buses being sent to Birmingham is a bit of a kick in the face to passengers. The latest swathe of cancellations seem to be based on individual drivers duty cards rather than evenly spread through the day.

JD2168

Quite a number of buses have gone from Stagecoach Yorkshire, all E400MMC’s at Barnsley & Gold E400MMC’s at Chesterfield.

Simon75

On Moderation
I guess the temporary depots are basically outstations then. What facilities would they have?

MDB1images

Have any new ordered(22 plate)vehicles been diverted to the Commonwealth Games contract pre delivery to parts of the Stagecoach Group?

ANDYS

I was in Birmingham yesterday with my son and his friend. Lots of Stagecoach from as far away as Inverness, Kent & Cornwall. Mostly Stagecoach, but plenty of independents (Reading, Newbury, Newport etc), First Kernow & Go-Ahead London. All the Stagecoach seemed to have their legal lettering changed to Midland Red (South). Photos will slowly get on Flickr.

chiltern trev

The Birmingham Road, Oldbury depot is now showing on Google maps as Stagecoach and the street view link shows a former Vosa site.

The Erdington Industrial Estate site is also showing on Google maps as Stagecoach and looks to be a former hgv trailer park.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Spotted this long line of buses waiting to take people to the Alexandra Stadium yesterday, amazing sight!

52258759124_30f4181310_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.