• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Routes Lost/ Changed Due To Light Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not every route needs to be cut short, & not every route needs to continue through [if you know what i mean].
Absolutely. There were plenty of very sensible rationalisations when the Metro was introduced, such as truncating many (but not all) Washington to Newcastle services (as already mentioned). That saved many more resources that arbitrarily chopping some locals at Gateshead.

The real acid test is that many of the facilities that were withdrawn when the Metro was introduced did not reappear at de-reg and as has been mentioned earlier, the extension of Metro services to Sunderland has (unsurprisingly) has a consequent impact on services there.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In Nottingham, the 80-85 Routes used to run from Bulwell Estates, through Bulwell to Nottingham every 5 minutes. Some of the estate sections have been added to the 68/69.
There are no longer any buses on Radford Road from Basford to Nottingham.

APT618S

I am just trying to imagine the reaction of forcing folk off the 21, 56, 57, 58 at Gateshead Interchange stand N on to an already struggling Metro system just to ride one stop in to Newcastle.....

If the Metro was every 2 minutes then I could see the argument, but it's every 6 minutes. Buses are arriving in Gateshead every 60 seconds. The Metro system today would not cope without buses going in to Newcastle
IIRC when the buses were curtailed the daytime Metro frequency was 3 every 10 mins, i.e. a repeating 3/3/4 minute gap.
This was one Metro on each of the 3 lines (in those days it was yellow, green, red) every 10 mins. It was still a pain though to change.

Statto

Established Member
It can sometimes quicker staying on the bus than changing to light rail.

Example Gateshead Interchange to Eldon Square is timed to take 10 minutes on the bus, Metro is timed at 5 minutes Gateshead-Haymarket which is nearest station to Eldon Square, but the added situation of changing from bus, getting down to the Metro platform, waiting for the Metro, getting off at the other end, then going up to the street, when you'd already be there if you stayed on the bus, more so if you just missed the Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.