• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Shelter Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Leeds City Council are consulting on a number of projects in the city centre, one of which is the quality of their bus shelters.

https://leedscitycentretransport.commonplace.is/schemes/proposals/city-centre-bus-stops/details

The shelters are a fairly standard design

There is a little niggle in the back of my mind that with such little space, taller shelters that could cover a larger area and possibly tower above a double decker would be better.

I’m aware that it would have an impact on air circulation but has anywhere in UK/world created a massive free standing bus shelter in a normal street that covers the pavement. Are there any other reasons to not have large bus shelters?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
I suppose it is very costly to have large bus shelters, which is probably the main reason there arnt many.

Examples which spring to mind are usually at bus stations which often have high canopies covering a large space. Stratford bus station in London, for example.

Dentonian

Established Member
Leeds City Council are consulting on a number of projects in the city centre, one of which is the quality of their bus shelters.

https://leedscitycentretransport.commonplace.is/schemes/proposals/city-centre-bus-stops/details

The shelters are a fairly standard design

There is a little niggle in the back of my mind that with such little space, taller shelters that could cover a larger area and possibly tower above a double decker would be better.

I’m aware that it would have an impact on air circulation but has anywhere in UK/world created a massive free standing bus shelter in a normal street that covers the pavement. Are there any other reasons to not have large bus shelters?

Apart from the redesigned & slightly brighter glass its a case of "spot the difference". Not surprised to see one comment displaying ignorance of the financial and legal framework surrounding TFL and specifically OysterCard, suggesting that private hire vehicles should use Bus Lanes.

As regards your question regarding large free standing shelters; TFGM have two "SuperShelters" on Wellington Road (A6) in the centre of Stockport. These are large almost totally enclosed oval shelters costing well into six figures. However, they are on particularly wide stretches of pavement so plenty of room for pedestrians to pass by. In saying that, the southbound one is closer to the kerb (which is surely better), whilst the northbound one is a couple of metres set back - unneccessarily so, as pedestrian traffic is much lighter on this side as its away from the shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.