• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses over the Humber Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkbonny

Off to Hull for a few days next week, courtesy of Northern's £1 fares and one thing I want to do is go across the Humber Bridge.

Anybody know if there are any bus services over it? Or any general tips where to head for, what to do etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes there are and some train tickets are even routed that way.

Route numbers include 250, 350, maybe others; I am sure someone here could confirm.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I believe there are 3x per hour Mon-Sat daytime between Hull and Barton.

Chriso

I did this a few weeks ago. Humber Fastcat 350 operates every 30 mins to Barton on Humber and Scunthorpe. The Humber Flyer operates hourly to Barton, Grimsby and Cleethorpes. Only takes around 30 mins to Barton which has a lovely pub by the train and bus interchange

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Aswell as above mentioned buses, the 255 to Wren Kitchens serves Barton.
In Hull, after you leave the train platforms, turn left twice to find Greggs and the bus stops, think Humber buses are at stand 30 (or something like that) at the far end.
In the town you get a good view of the bridge from the waterside, 10 minutes from the train and bus staton.

Walking over the bridge is sometimes restricted, I suggest you check the Humber Bridge Board web page just in case.

Not criticising the historic town, but there is a lot more to do in Hull, the museums quarter is well worth a few hours.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If the weather is fine and you're feeling fit, you can walk across the bridge.

Did it recently. Hessle station to Barton Station can probably be done in around 75 minutes at a decent pace.

It's a great walk, gives you time to really appreciate the structure and the view. (And a great burn off for my 3 year old's legs...)

Be warned, you do have to have a bit of a head for heights!

_toommm_

Established Member
And if you do walk across the bridge, especially with the recent weather, wrap up warm. The wind hits you differently when you're up there...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Also a really nice café in the viewing area park on the south side.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Last month I took the 350 from Hull to Scunthorpe specifically to travel over the Humber bridge, and well worthwhile it was too ! As mentioned above the bus terminus at Hull is next to the rail station, not so unfortunately at Scunthorpe although (and credit to the local Council) the route is well signposted. Single fare was £6.80.

Blinkbonny

Thanks for this. Sounds eminently do-able! I wasn't aware you could walk over it, but whether it's in my range or not I'll have to see. I dare say there isn't a bus stop half-way across if you decide you've had enough! :smile:

I was aware of the Hull museums, and it's one reason I'm going back there. I discovered them a bit late on my first Hull visit and I never got to do them justice.

Of course I've got the obligatory £1 ticket to Scarborough booked, but at that price I'm willing to ditch it if I find Hull has more to offer. And I'm coming home via Knaresborough to sample the viaduct.

Cheers all.

westv

Established Member
You'll have to wait a bit to visit the Hull Maritime Museum though as it's closed for a few years whilst being updated.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Thanks for this. Sounds eminently do-able! I wasn't aware you could walk over it, but whether it's in my range or not I'll have to see. I dare say there isn't a bus stop half-way across if you decide you've had enough! :smile:
It's the longest suspension bridge in the world with a foot path. But the fencing isn't as high as it should, so avoid it in high winds like today.
Anyway, let us know how the trip ends up, and best of luck.

Ken H

On Moderation
It's the longest suspension bridge in the world with a foot path. But the fencing isn't as high as it should, so avoid it in high winds like today.
marginally off topic, but the old severn bridge also has a footpath. its quite hard to find at the Chepstow end. But 10 minutes with Google Maps will sort it for you. But thats 2 bridges, the Wye one and the Severn one.

Edit. There is a separate cyclepath on the other side of the carriageways

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
When it was built it was also the longest single down suspension bridge in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.