• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses to Ribblehead Station Inn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, all being well, I am hoping to go on a UK Holiday to Yorkshire and the surrounding area in July.

I was hoping to make a visit on Thursday 15 July to the great pub by the Ribblehead viaduct for lunch as I should be staying in Leeds or Bradford, but the trains on the SCR are less frequent than I was expecting, Ideally I would take the 1049 from Leeds which arrives Ribblehead at 1207 which would be fine, but the return trains are either at 1222 which gives just 15 mins, the next one is a 1614 which gives four hours and that is rather too long to spend there. Does any one know if there are any bus or coach options / connections that I could take in perhaps one direction which would reduce the time in Ribblehead to about 2-3 hours? perhaps from Giggleswick/Skipton etc? I had a google but could not see anything/ Many thanks Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If it's extremely important to you and so worth the cost, it might be worth Googling taxi firms in Hawes to see if one will pick you up and take you there for a bus (or ditto Kendal for Oxenholme for a train) It'll be small single-car businesses, though, so book well in advance - no Uber in these parts!

duncanp

Established Member
The only buses which pass the Ribblehead Inn operate on Sundays only, so would be of no use to you.

The only thing I can see which is feasible is to enquire about taxi services to Settle (10 miles) from where there is a 15:07 departure to Leeds, or to Bentham (9 miles) from where there is a 15:17 departure to Leeds.

Other than that, just put your feet up an enjoy some of the excellent beer at the Ribblehead Inn.

blackfive460

Why not get the 14:33 and have a ride over Ais Gill to Appleby and return from there at 15:32?

Alternatively, there's Settle Taxis (01729 824824) who have vehicles based in Ingleton from where there is a bus to Giggleswick, Settle and Skipton running every two hours operated by Kirkby Lonsdale Coach Hire (580, 581, 582, 75 (klch.co.uk)).

D6130

Established Member
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the full Northern timetable should be reinstated by July. However, I would have thought that 16 14 would be an ideal time to return. You would have time for a couple of pints, a leisurely lunch and then - weather permitting - a nice walk around the fascinating area around and under the viaduct, exploring the trackbeds of the narrow gauge construction tramways leading from the various quarrying sites, the sites of the navvy camps and, time and weather permitting, perhaps a stroll up to Blea Moor signal box and loop. Nearer to the station and the pub, there is a nature reserve in the former quarry....but be aware that the stagnant ponds in there breed a particularly fierce variety of midgie, which often find their way into the pub beer garden on a Summer's afternoon and evening! Either the Friends of the Settle-Carlisle Line or the Settle-Carlisle Railway Development Company - I forget which - produce an excellent leaflet detailing the walks and history around the Ribblehead Viaduct, which used to available in the pub. It's probably available in electronic form, so check out FoSCLA's and SCRDC's websites. Finally, when at the pub, don't forget to visit the famous 'loo with a view'.....which you will almost certainly need to after a pint or three!

Paul1160

Thanks to D6130 for the information about the nature reserve at the old quarry.I have walked around that area many times,but did not know about the reserve.Can it be accessed by turning left onto the gravel track just after passing under the viaduct heading west on the B6255?.It may also be worth mentioning there is (not sure if it is still open) also a small museum/information point on the up platform at Ribblehead station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Thanks to D6130 for the information about the nature reserve at the old quarry.I have walked around that area many times,but did not know about the reserve.Can it be accessed by turning left onto the gravel track just after passing under the viaduct heading west on the B6255?.It may also be worth mentioning there is (not sure if it is still open) also a small museum/information point on the up platform at Ribblehead station.

Yes, it can.

BBC 4 did one of its "slow" programmes a couple of years back with footage from the front of a bus that went past Ribblehead Viaduct.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Many thanks for all your replies. Infact a bit later during my trip to that area during that week, we will be going right up to Carlisle and back on the Staycation Express which I am also looking forward to travelling on. So after having another chat with my mate, we have come to the "hard" decision, as advised above, to get there on the 1207 from Leeds, (we'll connect from Bradford which is where we are staying by F. Sq. Stn)., (I think we will try and have an hour earlier in the morning looking around Saltaire?) and go back on the 1614 and have a long slow lunch with suitable alcoholic refreshment. (It's only right to support local businesses at this time) :D:D . Now I'll have to find a good rail fare using senior cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.