• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Busiest journey pairs / unique journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

cle

Established Member
Hi,

I was reading the RUS-es where they mention the most popular flows within the study scopes and wondered, which are the most popular journey station pairs and flows in the entire UK?

Some guesses from me:

Chelmsford - Liverpool Street
Romford - Liverpool Street
East Croydon - Victoria
Woking - Waterloo
Guildford - Waterloo
Reading - Paddington
MK - Euston
Peterborough - Kings X
Cambridge - Kings X
Leeds - Huddersfield
Bristol - Bath
Newport - Cardiff
Edinburgh - Glasgow QS
Benfleet and Basildon - Fenchurch St

A lot of South London, Kent and Sussex will have Victoria/London Bridge/Charing Cross/Waterloo East/Cannon St so probably spread a bit thinner. I mean specific stations here, not cities.

So Manchester Victoria - Leeds and Manchester Piccadilly - Leeds would be separate flows. Hence Manchester itself and Manchester to Liverpool not featuring much in my guesses, due to different stations.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well, Woking is the commuter capital of Britain so I'd be tempted to say Woking-London Waterloo...

pemma

Veteran Member
I'd add:
Warrington Central to Manchester Piccadilly
Warrington Central to Liverpool Lime Street

I'm sure some of the flows out of Liverpool Central should count as well but I'm not familiar with peak time travel on those lines.

Also 'busiest' can mean different things:
- Stockport to Manchester is a busy section because it's full to capacity and there's no paths for additional trains.
- London to Manchester could be described as busy as there are 27 carriages per hour. However, if only 18 are needed then that makes the trains look quiet due to having a lot of empty seats.
- Huddersfield to Leeds can carry a few hundred people over the course of an hour. However, what if the trains were every 5 minutes or if there were 8 carriage trains running the existing timetable, would Huddersfield to Leeds still count?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I'd have thought Coventry - Birmingham International - Birmingham New Street - Wolverhampton is an extremely busy corridor both in terms of number of seats a day, and number of bums on said seats.

bnm

Established Member
I'd have thought Coventry - Birmingham International - Birmingham New Street - Wolverhampton is an extremely busy corridor both in terms of number of seats a day, and number of bums on said seats.

That not a very nice way to describe the folk of the West Midlands. :p;):D

NSE

Established Member
I'd second East Croydon to Victoria and add East Croydon to London Bridge. Maybe even stretch to Gatwick to Victoria. Liverpool Street to Chesunt is also incredibly busy, after watching an 8 car 317 virtually empty clean out during the rush hour.

Bedpan

Established Member
I'd add Surbiton - Waterloo, near the top of the list of busiest stations if you don't include those in big cities and those where there is a chopice of London stations to travel to.

cle

Established Member
I'd add:
Warrington Central to Manchester Piccadilly
Warrington Central to Liverpool Lime Street

I'm sure some of the flows out of Liverpool Central should count as well but I'm not familiar with peak time travel on those lines.

Also 'busiest' can mean different things:
- Stockport to Manchester is a busy section because it's full to capacity and there's no paths for additional trains.
- London to Manchester could be described as busy as there are 27 carriages per hour. However, if only 18 are needed then that makes the trains look quiet due to having a lot of empty seats.
- Huddersfield to Leeds can carry a few hundred people over the course of an hour. However, what if the trains were every 5 minutes or if there were 8 carriage trains running the existing timetable, would Huddersfield to Leeds still count?

In terms of busiest, I meant total journeys or passenger numbers. Not tph or carriages per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.