• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Businesses in England that will still restrict entry (via face masks) after July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
Sainsbury's to "encourage" masks after 19th July! I thought someone on here mentioned that they would be supportive of customers not wearing masks? Seems they've backtracked on this a bit!

Signs and tannoy messages continuing in store! Fed up those bloomin' signs(with the cartoon heads wearing masks!) and tannoy messages about face masks! Possibly still loads of people still wearing face masks in there!(or maybe not!) Might have to stop shopping in there I think!
If Sainsburys really want people to continue wearing masks, they should install cameras at the checkouts, and give customers who are wearing them double Nectar points. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Well looks like signage is up and running already, granted this one was at a vaccination drop in centre

Wear a face covering post July 19 poster

(Sorry I don’t know how to rotate it!…it comes up the right way if you expand the thumbnail!)

island

Veteran Member
I think it was fairly inevitable that healthcare settings would still require them.

bramling

Veteran Member
Oh dear! Perhaps it’s time for that driver to look for another line of work…

We have to hope all this nonsense fades away over time. I’m not sure it will though - one of my issues with masks has always been it’s something which once entrenched is quite hard to get rid of - especially some of the silly concepts which go with it, like “showing respect to others” whatever that means.

From tomorrow we now have a complete mess, masks in some places, not in others, and enforcement essentially left to vigilantes.

For something which clearly was never very effective in the first place, was it really worth it?

Masks now seem to be the new toilet rolls - an irrational comfort blanket which someone thought up, and some people latched onto, with the sheep following suit.

The best which can happen is the whole thing continues to be a mess, which continues to increase the numbers who choose not to wear them. I certainly get the feeling more and more people are not wearing them, but there seem to be variations round the country on this.

3rd rail land

If Sainsburys really want people to continue wearing masks, they should install cameras at the checkouts, and give customers who are wearing them double Nectar points. :lol:
I realise this is somewhat of a light hearted comment but I totally agree with the concept of incentivising the wearing of face coverings. Making constant announcements requesting people wear a face covering and having countless signs up in shops isn't the way to go and undoubtedly I, and presumably many others, will very quickly find this irritating.

That said despite having numerous Sainsbury shops in my local area I don't have a Nectar card so double points is no inventive to me. From tomorrow I do not plan to wear a mask anywhere it is not required. I am more than happy to be firm but polite to ay staff member who tries to convince me to wear a face covering. As a Londoner I foresee myself wearing a face covering only on TFL services and in healthcare settings.

greyman42

Established Member
From tomorrow we now have a complete mess, masks in some places, not in others, and enforcement essentially left to vigilantes.
Apart from transport companies, can you name any other business that will be mandating masks tomorrow?

island

Veteran Member
Apart from transport companies, can you name any other business that will be mandating masks tomorrow?
Most NHS locations.

Separately, the UK Games Expo in Birmingham at the end of the month, which I was planning to attend, has reversed course. Having previously stated it would be completely impracticable to enforce any requirements, on Wednesday it unveiled a "#PlayWithConfidence" policy far stricter than the current rules and guidance require. Masks will be required for attendees ages 12 and up, and vaccine passes or negative tests from ages 16 and up.

This is the absolute opposite of giving me confidence; I have cancelled my bookings and emailed the show explaining why. I doubt this will make the least difference, but I think it is essential to let businesses like this know why they have lost custom.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
Most NHS locations.

Separately, the UK Games Expo in Birmingham at the end of the month, which I was planning to attend, has reversed course. Having previously stated it would be completely impracticable to enforce any requirements, on Wednesday it unveiled a "#PlayWithConfidence" policy far stricter than the current rules and guidance require. Masks will be required for attendees ages 12 and up, and vaccine passes or negative tests from ages 16 and up.

This is the absolute opposite of giving me confidence; I have cancelled my bookings and emailed the show explaining why. I doubt this will make the least difference, but I think it is essential to let businesses like this know why they have lost custom.
I would of thought that there will be plenty of other people cancelling as it becomes more trouble than what it is worth.

nlogax

Established Member
'Please feel free to wear face coverings inside our store' says the sign now outside my local Co-op. Sounds like the right sort of balanced messaging to me.

nedchester

Established Member
The general public will probably just grumble and stick one on.
I think that will be the case. But I suspect that over time depending on various factor use will start to wane especially if rates of infection / hospitalisations / deaths fall.

I actually don't think this is a bad thing.

I just think that the big issue now is the weaponization between those in favour of masks and those against. I sadly think there are going to be many issues in the coming days.

'Please feel free to wear face coverings inside our store' says the sign now outside my local Co-op. Sounds like the right sort of balanced messaging to me.
Like that.

Class 33

Established Member
I certainly won't be wearing face masks again on public transport, in shops, etc, now that it's no longer legal to do so from tomorrow. Fed up of having to do so for the past year. Tomorrow can't come soon enough for me. I think many others feel just the same as me. I would be absolutely amazed if more than 50% of people are still wearing these ridiculous things from tomorrow.

kristiang85

Established Member
I certainly won't be wearing face masks again on public transport, in shops, etc, now that it's no longer legal to do so from tomorrow. Fed up of having to do so for the past year. Tomorrow can't come soon enough for me. I think many others feel just the same as me. I would be absolutely amazed if more than 50% of people are still wearing these ridiculous things from tomorrow.

Yep I hope so. I will keep one in my pocket for if I walk into a business and someone asks me very nicely to wear it as they have genuine concerns, or indeed if a fellow passenger on public transport asks nicely (I can't help it if the government have ruined some people's mental state), but I will be ignoring any rudeness or demands to wear it.

Iskra

Established Member
I'd be surprised if more than 10% are wearing masks tomorrow and I'd guess at closer to 5%. I'm on the frontline in a previously discussed business that is allowing customers to choose whether they wear a mask; I will report my observations tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit I am getting concerned with LNERs messaging as it seems to be encouraging vigilantes. Be interesting to see how the react tomorrow when their Twitter feeds are flooded with “someone wasn’t wearing a mask in my coach”. Other TOCs seem to be saying rail travel is safe, air-conditioned coaches replace the air…. LNER are not, saying they strongly recommend wearing masks for the comfort of other passengers. I saw one comment on twitter. “It is my gut feeling that….” I guess they don’t want to getting into a twitter war but the perfect time to re-enforce rail travel is safe without masks on. My next LNER services are traditionally lightly load. Be interesting to see how many have masks on (if any). Even pre Covid these services wouldn’t see more then 10 people per coach.

most common complaint today was broken air conditioning. Masks off then.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I'd be surprised if more than 10% are wearing masks are tomorrow and I'd guess at closer to 5%. I'm on the frontline in a previously discussed business that is allowing customers to choose whether they wear a mask; I will report my observations tomorrow evening.

Can’t speak for your business, but I would be surprised if mask wearing dropped below 40% tomorrow in the supermarkets and on public transport.

I live in an area with an elderly demographic. People look at the numbers, and are concerned. Additionally, this having (regrettably) become a culture war issue, a substantial number of people will continue to wear a mask because Johnson has told them they don’t have to.

I guess in outlets frequented by the young, mask wearing will be lower.

Comment prompted by a Sainsbury run yesterday where I had forgotten my mask, and stood out like a sore thumb because literally everyone else, their babes in arms and pet labradors was masked-up. Didn’t feel like a situation where masking would drop to 10% overnight, whatever the legal changes.

However, I may be proven wrong.

Iskra

Established Member
Can’t speak for your business, but I would be surprised if mask wearing dropped below 40% tomorrow in the supermarkets and on public transport.

I live in an area with an elderly demographic. People look at the numbers, and are concerned. Additionally, this having (regrettably) become a culture war issue, a substantial number of people will continue to wear a mask because Johnson has told them they don’t have to.

I guess in outlets frequented by the young, mask wearing will be lower.

Comment prompted by a Sainsbury run yesterday where I had forgotten my mask, and stood out like a sore thumb because literally everyone else, their babes in arms and pet labradors was masked-up. Didn’t feel like a situation where masking would drop to 10% overnight, whatever the legal changes.

However, I may be proven wrong.
Interesting. From my experience the elderly people are some of the worst for non compliance with the mask rules, and they all seem to think they are immortal due to being double jabbed, with zero concern for the staff who generally aren't. We shall see what tomorrow brings :)

island

Veteran Member

I would not like to be unduly unfair to UKGE so I will communicate that they replied to me within a couple of hours stating that Solihull Council have forced their hand and required them to impose the conditions on pain of the evening being banned (as the council is entitled to do under the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 3) Regulations 2020, which were not amongst the revocations taking effect tonight).

I have apologised to them and wished them well, as clearly they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

bramling

Veteran Member

Not sure, to be honest having the mess with transport undertakings is bad enough. I suspect a lot of businesses are waiting to see how things pan out. However, “encouraging” people to wear face coverings, which some shops certainly seem to be doing, isn’t great either.

Noticed someone from ASLEF on the news today advocating masks, and the wording was something like “people stupid enough to breathe their dirty germs over everyone else”. Some of these people need to realise that breathing is a natural human function, not something to be ashamed of.

Established Member
Noticed someone from ASLEF on the news today advocating masks, and the wording was something like “people stupid enough to breathe their dirty germs over everyone else”. Some of these people need to realise that breathing is a natural human function, not something to be ashamed of.
Sadly that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I have been appalled by the attitude of the rail unions to masks, and have come very close to resigning from ASLEF because of it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Sadly that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I have been appalled by the attitude of the rail unions to masks, and have come very close to resigning from ASLEF because of it.

I’m not quite sure how the guy managed to get from the topic of TfL service disruption caused by staff being pinged, to passengers wearing masks, but of course masks are the solution to every problem in some minds. Again, seems to be political and symbolic rather than anything else.

Of course, the unions want this whole thing to be like the apocalypse, as they feel this will be damaging to the Conservative government. I’m no fan of the way this has been handled either, but I’d rather reach that conclusion based on what has and hasn’t been done, rather than by preconceived political positions, which I get the feeling is where the transport unions are coming from.

Andyh82

Established Member
Not sure, to be honest having the mess with transport undertakings is bad enough. I suspect a lot of businesses are waiting to see how things pan out. However, “encouraging” people to wear face coverings, which some shops certainly seem to be doing, isn’t great either.

To be honest I’m surprised the RMT are not balloting for strike action unless masks are made compulsory, to protect their members. Not to mention to obstruct what is a ‘Tory’ policy which they’d get on board with as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.