• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Businesses in England that will still restrict entry (via face masks) after July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Yep I hope so. I will keep one in my pocket for if I walk into a business and someone asks me very nicely to wear it as they have genuine concerns, or indeed if a fellow passenger on public transport asks nicely (I can't help it if the government have ruined some people's mental state), but I will be ignoring any rudeness or demands to wear it.
I will not even be carrying a mask with me. So if someone concerned asks nicely I'll just say "I'd rather not thanks, and anyway I don't have one, so can't".
You are right the government have worked some people into a very fearful state, but pandering to it isn't going to help them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
Comment prompted by a Sainsbury run yesterday where I had forgotten my mask, and stood out like a sore thumb because literally everyone else, their babes in arms and pet labradors was masked-up. Didn’t feel like a situation where masking would drop to 10% overnight, whatever the legal changes.

However, I may be proven wrong.

Interesting because I was in a Sainsbury's earlier and only about 60% of people were wearing masks.

I was in there just before the 4pm close time and it was satisfying to see some of the staff taking down the high perspex dividers between the self checkouts and the gangway to the aisles. The end of (un)-social distancing tomorrow is very much being prepared for! Last week they took down the hideous claustrophobic like wooden corridor leading to the self checkouts!

Failed Unit

Established Member
But why when masks don't work, Covid is a hoax, we're being forced into communism etc.
My doctors said it was because of sick people (Genie out the bottle) as you shouldn’t be in the surgery with COVID symptoms anyway. At least medical facilities understand exemptions.

ironically I was treated by a paramedic and ambulance crew. both apologised for not having PPE on. At i was glad they didn’t waste kitting time when every second counts.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting because I was in a Sainsbury's earlier and only about 60% of people were wearing masks.

I was in there just before the 4pm close time and it was satisfying to see some of the staff taking down the high perspex dividers between the self checkouts and the gangway to the aisles. The end of (un)-social distancing tomorrow is very much being prepared for! Last week they took down the hideous claustrophobic like wooden corridor leading to the self checkouts!
It really depends where you are. Where compliance is high, it tends to remain high. But once people see others taking their masks off, many people are happy to do likewise. It won't take long for us to go back to normal next week :)

Established Member
Of course, the unions want this whole thing to be like the apocalypse, as they feel this will be damaging to the Conservative government. I’m no fan of the way this has been handled either, but I’d rather reach that conclusion based on what has and hasn’t been done, rather than by preconceived political positions, which I get the feeling is where the transport unions are coming from.
Yes I’m politics is exactly what’s driving the attitude of the unions. It’s stupidity of the highest order, though, when these ridiculous measures are driving passengers away and damaging the industry. Government support won’t last forever.

greyman42

Established Member
I must admit I am getting concerned with LNERs messaging as it seems to be encouraging vigilantes. Be interesting to see how the react tomorrow when their Twitter feeds are flooded with “someone wasn’t wearing a mask in my coach”.
I have been travelling LNER for the last couple of months without a mask and have had no bother from other passengers.

Darandio

Established Member
I have been travelling LNER for the last couple of months without a mask and have had no bother from other passengers.

I've also just been looking at the LNER Twitter feed and it's no different than normal or certainly no increase in the usual complaints against non mask wearers in their coach.

One particular one stood out where they made it known to LNER that they will now switch to air instead. From one confined metal tube that you can freely move through to another confined metal tube where you are pretty much stuck and in many cases it might be more loaded as well. Makes no sense to me.

takno

Established Member
LNER Twitter feed has a pinned note from the MD saying that they are asking people to keep wearing masks, the tone of which makes it fairly clear to me at least that they are optional. Beyond that there are very few mentions of masks. There's a bunch of people trying to kick up a fuss about LNER opting to "break the law" in Scotland by allowing passengers to sit next to each other and no longer enforcing reservations, but the Twitter team are having none of it.

Given that as recently as last weekend every other post was griping about other passengers not wearing facemasks, I'd say it's all got a lot better.

RPI

Established Member
And so it begins, the twitterati

Supermarkets face backlash over unmasked staff

Government guidance on masks for retailers and shoppers is causing chaos and confusion

ByJack Hardy19 July 2021 • 4:47pm

Supermarkets were facing a mask backlash from shoppers on Monday amid complaints that staff, rather than customers, were failing to follow face-covering advice.
Many retailers have said they will continue to ask customers to wear face masks when they shop, after legal requirements on social distancing were lifted.

Guidance from the Government also stipulates that the public are “expected” to wear face coverings in enclosed indoor spaces to stem the soaring infection rates across Britain.
As shops opened their doors on what has been dubbed “Freedom Day”, however, it soon became clear that the announcements had created confusion around the use of face coverings.
Customers from dozens of Sainsbury’s branches across the country flooded social media with complaints about the number of staff who were now choosing not to wear masks.
It came after Simon Roberts, the chief executive of Sainsbury’s, recently said the supermarket chain would continue to encourage mask-wearing, because “many of our colleagues would feel more comfortable”.

A shopper who visited Sainsbury’s in Newcastle on Monday said it was her first day back at work after 10 days of self-isolation, but in the store she found “no staff” wearing masks and only around one-third of customers following advice on face coverings.
“I felt so uncomfortable that I left without purchasing anything,” she said.
There were also reports from some branches that the majority of shoppers were wearing their masks, but few staff were doing so.
A customer in Maidenhead said: “People are still wearing masks except for most of the staff at Sainsbury’s, which felt really odd as most of the customers were.”
Another shopper, who directed her complaint at the Sainsbury’s Twitter account, said: “Unfortunately none of your staff in my local store this morning felt able to wear a mask. However, all the customers did. They were probably doing it to protect key workers.”
In the Portswood suburb of Southampton, a Sainsbury’s shopper even reported spotting others “start to remove” their facemasks “after seeing many staff not wearing them”.
“Bizarre, and a worrying trend,” he said.
Many complained the absence of face coverings left them feeling unsafe, with some reporting the perspex screens that previously separated checkouts appeared to have been removed.
Sainsbury’s said in response that it planned to retain all screens at checkouts, as well as hand sanitiser stations, and keep its strict cleaning regimes.
Other shoppers said they were heartened to find so many staff and customers wearing masks and continuing to respect social distancing when they visited their local branches, with several claiming to be “pleasantly surprised” by the level of adherence.
A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said: “Safety continues to be our top priority. We are encouraging our customers and colleagues to wear a face covering and the vast majority of people are choosing to do so.”
Similar experiences were shared by customers at rival supermarkets, including one man who said two staff members without masks at Tesco had enjoyed “a nice chat while rummaging through my stuff at the self scan”.
Many others, by contrast, reported being pleased with how many staff continued to have masks at Tesco stores, where customers and employees are encouraged to wear masks, but it is not said to be compulsory.
The confusion was not just limited to the high street on Monday, as transport networks including the London Underground tried to continue making commuters wear masks.
It led to scenes of high farce at stations such as Farringdon, London, where the rules on masks now change in the short walk from one platform to the next, as face coverings are required on the underground trains, but not services run by Thameslink, which also call at the station.
Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, said face coverings are still “compulsory” for journeys operated by Transport for London (TfL) to “give Londoners confidence to travel”.

However, in an apparent effort to stop officers from becoming involved in commuter disputes about masks, the British Transport Police issued a statement which said: “We no longer have involvement in policing the wearing of face coverings.”
On Twitter, Philip Clark, a music journalist, described seeing “lots of arguments” over masks between passengers and staff, as well as other passengers, on the London Underground.
“It’s chaos,” he added.

Ediswan

Established Member
I just visited the local Co-op, without a mask. I didn't detect so much as a hint of disapproval. Customers with masks were about 50% (of a very small sample).

They still have the must/mandatory signs up and one way stickers on the floor. However, I suspect they are simply waiting for orders from head office (or too busy running the store). Customers never paid much attention to the one way system. The staff never made any effort to enforce the previous regulations.

I visited my local Sainsburys Local late morning and seeing the big new notices on face coverings that had gone up outside, I decided to wear mine and see what everyone else was doing. Very quiet inside with only three customers that I could see and three staff. Of the three customers (including myself) two were wearing face coverings and one wasn't. Of the three staff two weren't wearing face coverings (one had a sunflower lanyard) and the third had it under their chin. I make no judgement on any of their choices, but I will continue to shop there only next time I won't put one on.

js1000

It's was interesting wandering around Manchester Piccadilly station today. One couple the woman still wore her mask while for some bizarre reason her husband wasn't but wearing a lanyard? Not sure that was all about. It was also notable that some of the staff in Sainsburys had ditched them. It feels like a deeply divisive issue - particularly by age group which is not good.

Personally speaking, I generally have not worn face covering on the morning service as it's 6 carriages and I usually have a whole carriage to myself. I have not worn it around the station concourse for a month or so as to me this is a large enough space that does not fit into the "enclosed setting". I think quite a few of the NR and TOC staff are of this opinion as well and don't wear them unless in enclosed spaces such as staff quarters. The only time I wear a mask is in the Sainsburys store (or other small units) out of respect to staff given you are always in close proximity to them constantly stacking shelves.

My personal view on masks is that if you can breathe wearing one and smell stuff then it probably isn't going to protect you from Covid as it's now well established transmits by tiny aerosols. I also agree with the view that people have been brainwashed, scaremongered, conditioned etc into wearing them without really questioning whether they are worthwhile or not. I think Sage even conceded last year that the science on the effectiveness of masks is profoundly unclear, but the visual link makes people more wary to social distance etc.

Last edited:

alxndr

Established Member
It's was interesting wandering around Manchester Piccadilly station today. One couple the woman still wore her mask while for some bizarre reason her husband wasn't but wearing a lanyard? Not sure that was all about.
Lanyards are for hidden disabilities. There is often a crossover between being unable to wear a mask and hidden disabilities, and the lanyard has unfortunately become associated with mask-exemption these days, but that is not its sole purpose. The lanyard wearer may have some other hidden disability. Or it may be a matter of habit.
My personal view on masks is that if you can breathe wearing one and smell stuff then it probably isn't going to protect you from Covid as it's now well established transmits by tiny aerosols.
In my experience masks do reduce smell. I don't think I'd have managed to clean the wheelie bin out without retching if I didn't put one on (thanks to whoever dumped a paper plate with something rancid on in it <().

island

Veteran Member
The Crystal Maze attractions in London and Manchester say that “because we are an indoor attraction” they’ll still be requiring face coverings indefinitely.

trebor79

Established Member
The Crystal Maze attractions in London and Manchester say that “because we are an indoor attraction” they’ll still be requiring face coverings indefinitely.
Well they'll be going out of business then! Who the heck wants to go for a fun time with their mates and spend the whole time masked up?! I've been to the London one and a big part of the fun is shouting and seeing each other laugh etc - just like the TV show.
And the cynic in me thinks they'll somehow deem it "safe" to be unmasked in the bar area you end up in at the end of the experience...

RPI

Established Member
Just popped up on Facebook a post from the Mid Norfolk Railway who have a dedicated face covering only coach on their trains, as much as I really hate masks etc I think this is a really sensible move in an attempt to keep most people happy.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just popped up on Facebook a post from the Mid Norfolk Railway who have a dedicated face covering only coach on their trains, as much as I really hate masks etc I think this is a really sensible move in an attempt to keep most people happy.
To be honest I think this is a really good idea, I wish this could be done on national rail. I can see many issues with it on non-preserved railway, such as if it is always the front x coaches then what happens if it reverses, what if their is only 1 toilet on the train. But it is the ultimate way of giving choice. But I can see this developing into a whole thread so I will leave it there. But Mid Norfolk Railway are doing a great job of giving people choice.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I've just done my first shop since Monday, at Tesco, without mask.
Sadly only about 10% not masked, although I didn't encounter any problems at all :)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The use of sadly is unfair. We all have the choice now so if 90% of people choose to so be it. If 90% of people choose not to then that is also fine. Personal choice means personal choice.

It's only the first week too, nay only the first couple of days. Mask wearing is gradually on the decline. It's probably on a slightly steeper decline than it would usually be though due to the hot weather.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
The use of sadly is unfair. We all have the choice now so if 90% of people choose to so be it. If 90% of people choose not to then that is also fine. Personal choice means personal choice.
In my opinion, I think it sad, therefore a fair comment.
I fully support anyone still wanting to wear one if they wish. Live and let live :smile:

DelayRepay

Established Member
About a third unmasked in my Tesco this evening. Most of the checkout staff were unmasked, but it's hot and they're still behind their screens.

Nice to see a big group of teenage lads wandering around unmasked, but still following the one way arrows!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I don't understand the removal of perspex screens between self-service checkouts. If there is remains a risk of transmission (yes), and more people will be going around unmasked (yes), leaving the screens in place seems an easy win. It's not as though they are a problem and the money has already been spent providing them. The same with screens between staff and customers at manned tills. No different than a bank in normal times.

richa2002

Established Member
I don't understand the removal of perspex screens between self-service checkouts. If there is remains a risk of transmission (yes), and more people will be going around unmasked (yes), leaving the screens in place seems an easy win. It's not as though they are a problem and the money has already been spent providing them. The same with screens between staff and customers at manned tills. No different than a bank in normal times.
What exactly are we protecting against now though? The vulnerable are vaccinated. It should be time to return to pre-March 2020. Transmission is irrelevant if it's not resulting in exceptional hospitalisations/deaths.

I'm all for the removal of such screens. In this insular, digital world, we need as much human contact as we can get. Communicating through a perspex screen is depressing and unnecessary. They shouldn't be kept just because they're already paid for.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What exactly are we protecting against now though? The vulnerable are vaccinated.
I think this is covered by other threads.

We've definitely touched on this subject in several other threads, but if you think we could have a dedicated thread on it, feel free to create one, as long as it's not just repeating old ground).

We need to try to keep to the topic title please, otherwise every thread just goes the same way and it becomes unwieldy.

I've just done my first shop since Monday, at Tesco, without mask.
Sadly only about 10% not masked, although I didn't encounter any problems at all :)
Observations belong in the following thread please:

MikeWM

Established Member

Wasn't there a study a few weeks ago that showed that these sorts of screens actually made spread of viruses more likely, by impeding natural routes of ventilation?

I didn't dig into the details myself, but it seems plausible.

In any event, both Sainsburys and Tesco here both still had the screens on Monday.

Established Member

For one thing, is there any evidence they make a meaningful difference to transmission? Or are they just another silly ritual?

I’d far rather speak to someone face to face in the normal fashion, rather than through a plastic window forevermore. The objective here is to get back to pre Covid type normality as quickly as possiblecertainly didn’t have those screens in place pre 2020 to prevent transmission of other diseases

ExRes

Established Member
You are right the government have worked some people into a very fearful state

I find this an 'interesting' statement each time I see/hear it, yes I fully agree that the Government have done their bit but let's not forget that the opposition, the media, bloggers, vloggers and thousands of assorted internet forum 'experts' have done everything they possibly can to cause people stress and worry

Freightmaster

Established Member
I find this an 'interesting' statement each time I see/hear it, yes I fully agree that the Government have done their bit but let's not forget that the opposition, the media, bloggers, vloggers and thousands of assorted internet forum 'experts' have done everything they possibly can to cause people stress and worry
You are right - Covid scaremongering has definitely been a 'team effort'!

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.