• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Businesses in England that will still restrict entry (via face masks) after July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I find this an 'interesting' statement each time I see/hear it, yes I fully agree that the Government have done their bit but let's not forget that the opposition, the media, bloggers, vloggers and thousands of assorted internet forum 'experts' have done everything they possibly can to cause people stress and worry
On a personal note, I completely agree but from a moderator point of view: this probably belongs in a different thread. There is probably a suitable thread already (without looking) but if not, fee free to create a new one.

To go to the original title, are there any businesses (other than TfL and some other regional operators) mandating face masks in England at the current time? If not, we may as well close this thread to be honest!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I find this an 'interesting' statement each time I see/hear it, yes I fully agree that the Government have done their bit but let's not forget that the opposition, the media, bloggers, vloggers and thousands of assorted internet forum 'experts' have done everything they possibly can to cause people stress and worry

I suppose the governmental “mood music” in the early stages was specifically intended to terrify and sow fear.

Undoubtedly one of the problems they are now faced with is of their own making: persuading millions of terrified (albeit mostly low risk and vaccinated) people that they aren’t at any more risk from Covid than they are from many other causes of death. And therefore it’s time to get back to work if your boss asks you, or time to stop being paid £30k a year by the government to do nothing.

What a pity they didn’t have the courage to continue their original more laissez faire approach. It’s likely we would be in no worse a position in terms of overall excess deaths, and would all have had much freer and richer lives over the last eighteen months or so.

greyman42

Established Member
I don't understand the removal of perspex screens between self-service checkouts. If there is remains a risk of transmission (yes), and more people will be going around unmasked (yes), leaving the screens in place seems an easy win. It's not as though they are a problem and the money has already been spent providing them. The same with screens between staff and customers at manned tills. No different than a bank in normal times.
Many bank branches did away with screens years ago as they made communicating difficult.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I think this is covered by other thread

Observations belong in the following thread please:

Sure, no worries :smile:

trebor79

Established Member
I don't understand the removal of perspex screens between self-service checkouts. If there is remains a risk of transmission (yes), and more people will be going around unmasked (yes), leaving the screens in place seems an easy win. It's not as though they are a problem and the money has already been spent providing them. The same with screens between staff and customers at manned tills. No different than a bank in normal times.
Screens were put up in haste on the assumption they could do no harm. The old "do something" syndrome.
Recent studies have suggested they actually make transmission *more* likely due to reduced air circulation.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the daft things all disappeared overnight at my local supermarket.

MikeWM

Established Member
Disney and Apple stores - in Norwich at least - are not requiring masks, though they say they are ‘encouraged’.

Which is notable because they were the two big chains that were requiring masks last year *before* they became law.

trebor79

Established Member
I quite like the Sainsbury's approach. Big sign at the door "Masks are now a personal choice".

bramling

Veteran Member
For one thing, is there any evidence they make a meaningful difference to transmission? Or are they just another silly ritual?

I’d far rather speak to someone face to face in the normal fashion, rather than through a plastic window forevermore. The objective here is to get back to pre Covid type normality as quickly as possiblecertainly didn’t have those screens in place pre 2020 to prevent transmission of other diseases

I must admit I’d have kept the screens a little longer. I quite like the ones you get in the self-service checkouts, as who wants some BO-infested person brushing shoulders? For the ones at staffed checkouts and counters, keeping them would perhaps reassure those who perhaps want to ditch their masks but are still slightly reluctant to have close face-to-face contact.

It also saves the hassle of putting them back when Johnson has a flip-flop and decides to call a winter lockdown...

initiation

For the ones at staffed checkouts and counters, keeping them would perhaps reassure those who perhaps want to ditch their masks but are still slightly reluctant to have close face-to-face contact.

The pharmacy counter in my local Tesco has had a large full height perspex screen up since last April. I had to laugh when recently a new sign appeared on it with text along the lines of:
"Please remove your mask when speaking so the pharmacist can hear you"

johnnychips

Established Member
I didn’t take my mask yesterday, and was expecting problems when I went to the chemist to pick up my prescription - not some great defiance, I just forgot to take it with me. However, there were absolutely no signs at all, and the ‘only two people in the shop’ thing had been removed. Well done Rowlands.

3rd rail land

The tennis and squash club I am a member of has said masks MUST be worn when upstairs in the squash building. Not sure what their position is in the bar/toilets but I expect it is also a case of masks MUST be worn.

It's the first club night since 19th July tonight and if someone tries to make me wear a mask I am going to politely decline and see where that goes. The issue is I can't really boycott the club over this policy as I am not a member of an alternate club.

I suppose the worst that can happen is they ask me to leave if I am not prepared to wear a mask.

It's not that I object to people wearing a mask, it's more the fact they are trying to force people to wear masks when they are no longer legally required.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The tennis and squash club I am a member of has said masks MUST be worn when upstairs in the squash building. Not sure what their position is in the bar/toilets but I expect it is also a case of masks MUST be worn.

It's the first club night since 19th July tonight and if someone tries to make me wear a mask I am going to politely decline and see where that goes. The issue is I can't really boycott the club over this policy as I am not a member of an alternate club.

I suppose the worst that can happen is they ask me to leave if I am not prepared to wear a mask.

It's not that I object to people wearing a mask, it's more the fact they are trying to force people to wear masks when they are no longer legally required.
Exactly; it's wrong. I complied with the law, despite disagreeing with it (and was criticised for doing so) but I'm never wearing a mask again.

Apart from random private clubs, and a few rogue transport operators, are any businesses actually mandating masks any more? Almost all the reports in this thread are relating to masks being 'encouraged', not mandated.

3rd rail land

Exactly; it's wrong. I complied with the law, despite disagreeing with it (and was criticised for doing so) but I'm never wearing a mask again.

Apart from random private clubs, and a few rogue transport operators, are any businesses actually mandating masks any more? Almost all the reports in this thread are relating to masks being 'encouraged', not mandated.
Problem is I know the chairman is pro restrictions/precautions so if he were to get involved in this he wouldn't be on my side and as he is chair I guess what he says goes. Hopefully it won't come to that.

I've never seen anyone wear a mask in this building to date or anyone objecting to me being upstairs and not wearing one. That said it will be much busier tonight than usual. I shall report back on what happens.

island

Veteran Member

Three independent pharmacies near me, as well as an independent restaurant and a hardware store all have notices up that make reference to “after 19th July we will still be requiring face coverings”.

The restaurant was entirely empty when I passed at lunchtime!

The chiropodist I go to is mandating masks (unless exempt) - no mask = no appointment.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Three independent pharmacies near me, as well as an independent restaurant and a hardware store all have notices up that make reference to “after 19th July we will still be requiring face coverings”.

The restaurant was entirely empty when I passed at lunchtime!
The only places (apart from TfL) that I have seen trying to mandate (rather than encourage) masks have been small independent businesses and charity shops. It also seems they have become increasingly passive aggressive in their signage.

I do like to support independent businesses but if they require a mask, and explain their requirement using a rude sign, I cannot see things ending well.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The only places (apart from TfL) that I have seen trying to mandate (rather than encourage) masks have been small independent businesses and charity shops. It also seems they have become increasingly passive aggressive in their signage.

I do like to support independent businesses but if they require a mask, and explain their requirement using a rude sign, I cannot see things ending well.
I've still seen quite a few independent businesses with "no mask, no entry" signs - bad enough before last Monday (because they don't mention exemptions), but even worse now.

MikeWM

Established Member
I've still seen quite a few independent businesses with "no mask, no entry" signs - bad enough before last Monday (because they don't mention exemptions), but even worse now.

It's quite hard to tell at the moment whether a lot of this is outdated signage or current policy. I'm mostly avoiding independent businesses for now until things are clearer.

There was a second-hand bookshop on the Charing Cross Road in London that had a very aggressive (and until July 19th, illegal) 'no exemptions, no excuses' sign regarding mask-wearing. They are still 'requiring' masks but seem to have gotten rid of the aggressive sign, and their website suggests they are now accepting 'genuine' (!) exemptions. I've never actually tried going in, though I was tempted a few times to see what happened.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Go-Coach Hire, a bus company in Sevenoaks, Kent also appear to still be mandating masks...

Even though measures have been relaxed & no longer a legal requirement the government still "recommends & expects face coverings to be worn in enclosed and crowded spaces" We still require passengers to wear a face covering (unless exempt) and consider other passengers by social distancing where possible on all our buses. Please do not be offended if the driver reminds you to wear a mask, even if exempt as they often do not know. It is company policy and we will not tolerate any resulting abuse towards the driver or other passengers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Go-Coach Hire, a bus company in Sevenoaks, Kent also appear to still be mandating masks...

That's disgraceful.

But all people need to do is say "I'm exempt" and the driver will have to let them on; from a legal point of view, everyone is exempt since 19th July 2021, as the mandate was lifted on that date.

We need to get back to normal as far as I'm concerned. No ifs, no buts. Rogue companies who refuse to respect the change in the law need to lump it.

That said, where there is a choice between a business that is maskivist in nature, versus one that isn't, I will always choose the one that isn't, and I hope others do too.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
That's disgraceful.

But all people need to do is say "I'm exempt" and the driver will have to let them on; from a legal point of view, everyone is exempt since 19th July 2021, as the mandate was lifted on that date.

We need to get back to normal as far as I'm concerned. No ifs, no buts. Rogue companies who refuse to respect the change in the law need to lump it.

That said, where there is a choice between a business that is maskivist in nature, versus one that isn't, I will always choose the one that isn't, and I hope others do too.

I'm the type of person who thinks and feels that wearing a mask can have a benefit in potentially reducing virus exposure, at least based on what the Japanese people used to do pre Covid-19 and consequently, their low level of deaths and cases.

But at the same time, unlike what some people think, this is only my view. I don't tell others to do, and if they don't want to wear a mask, then that's absolutely fine! It's their choice! And, with maybe the exception of the London Underground (at the underground stations) and poorly ventilated areas (where risk of infection is very high), I am now fully against mask mandates.

And I also fully respect those who are exempt. If they have problems, then they have problems. One thing I strongly recommend to the exempt people, is wearing a lanyard demonstrating that they are exempt when they are on public transport or in shops so staff are aware about it.

So, in short - masks can have benefits, but people should choose if they want to wear or not. Unless if they have breathing problems etc. I would recommend wearing a mask, if they could, but if they don't want to, no problem! It's your choice! This is what a democracy should be!

Yew

Established Member
I'm the type of person who thinks and feels that wearing a mask can have a benefit in potentially reducing virus exposure, at least based on what the Japanese people used to do pre Covid-19 and consequently, their low level of deaths and cases.
Aren't Japan in the middle of a massive wave currently, let's not confuse getting ahead in the first laps, with winning the race..

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

But at the same time, unlike what some people think, this is only my view. I don't tell others to do, and if they don't want to wear a mask, then that's absolutely fine! It's their choice! And, with maybe the exception of the London Underground (at the underground stations) and poorly ventilated areas (where risk of infection is very high), I am now fully against mask mandates.

And I also fully respect those who are exempt. If they have problems, then they have problems. One thing I strongly recommend to the exempt people, is wearing a lanyard demonstrating that they are exempt when they are on public transport or in shops so staff are aware about it.

So, in short - masks can have benefits, but people should choose if they want to wear or not. Unless if they have breathing problems etc. I would recommend wearing a mask, if they could, but if they don't want to, no problem! It's your choice! This is what a democracy should be!
We can debate the effectiveness of masks in the relevant thread ;) but that aside, yes that's my point: the Government have decided that in England it should be personal choice and I take a dim view of any company that tries to go against that.

In the past few days I have travelled a lot and most people are not wearing face coverings however I did experience two cafes in Devon who were keen for people to wear masks (they asked if we had masks and I confirmed we did not); neither refused to serve people who didn't (had they done so I would have taken my business elsewhere) however in future I will be avoiding those establishments, in the unlikely event I am in the relevant areas at the time!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
We can debate the effectiveness of masks in the relevant thread ;) but that aside, yes that's my point: the Government have decided that in England it should be personal choice and I take a dim view of any company that tries to go against that.

In the past few days I have travelled a lot and most people are not wearing face coverings however I did experience two cafes in Devon who were keen for people to wear masks (they asked if we had masks and I confirmed we did not); neither refused to serve people who didn't (had they done so I would have taken my business elsewhere) however in future I will be avoiding those establishments, in the unlikely event I am in the relevant areas at the time!

Most people here still wear masks on public transport and shops, though less and less people are wearing them since the mask mandate was removed.

Chalkwell are another Kent bus operator still requiring masks:

Goverment guidance around face coverings changes on Monday 19th July. However, in the interest of protecting our staff and customers we will still require face coverings to be worn on our vehicles unless you have an exemption.
I will be claiming exemption for any operator with silly rules like this.

When I was planning a day out in Blackpool I saw that Coastliner Buses are still requiring masks and have had awful attitudes to exemptions the past year, even requiring passengers to wear a face shield if they cannot wear a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.