• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Businesses in England that will still restrict entry (via face masks) after July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green tractor

That said, where there is a choice between a business that is maskivist in nature, versus one that isn't, I will always choose the one that isn't, and I hope others do too.

So you don't like being asked to wear a mask yourself, but you are desperately telling others that they shouldn't be when they have made their own decision to wear one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3rd rail land

When I was planning a day out in Blackpool I saw that Coastliner Buses are still requiring masks and have had awful attitudes to exemptions the past year, even requiring passengers to wear a face shield if they cannot wear a mask.
I hope people boycott companies like this, wherever possible, who have terrible attitudes like this. Not only do they go against Government ruling but they try and force exempt people into wearing face shields.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I hope people boycott companies like this, wherever possible, who have terrible attitudes like this. Not only do they go against Government ruling but they try and force exempt people into wearing face shields.
They are not going against government rulings because the government hasn’t ruled anything. It has removed the legal requirement compelling people to wear a mask on public transport but said you should wear one. Various public transport companies have interpreted the guidance in different ways, as is their prerogative. As for boycotting them, it seems fairly obvious they don’t want you as a customer if you refuse to abide by their rules so boycotting them will be doing them a favour.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
This idea that everyone in Japan wears a mask all the time is hilarious.

They are not going against government rulings because the government hasn’t ruled anything. It has removed the legal requirement compelling people to wear a mask on public transport but said you should wear one. Various public transport companies have interpreted the guidance in different ways, as is their prerogative. As for boycotting them, it seems fairly obvious they don’t want you as a customer if you refuse to abide by their rules so boycotting them will be doing them a favour.
You are ok with Directors of Bus companies playing God?

What do they know that the Government and their scientists (whom they were religiously following until an arbitrary date) don't know?

trebor79

Established Member
Face shields are completely absurd in any case. They're designed to stop liquids splashing into the wearers face, and will do nothing (even less than the almost nothing fabric face coverings achieve) to stop the wearer spreading aerosols.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
This idea that everyone in Japan wears a mask all the time is hilarious.
My Youtube automated feature thought I might enjoy a recent video of a walking tour of Tokyo, lasting about half an hour. It appeared to be early evening and every single person walking along the streets, including children, was wearing a mask, in the correct position, with the possible exception of one man. Later on a further walking tour of Tokyo, filmed a few months earlier, came up and I watched that through, with same results. These were all public roads and in the open air. If you can point me to another video featuring hundreds of different people in any Japanese town /city, filmed within the last year, say, with few wearing masks, then I might be prepared to say you know what you are talking about. Whether masks are worn indoors by some Japanese, I have no idea. I dislike wearing a mask, and rarely do now, but I don't let that skew my view as to what goes on elsewhere.

Bantamzen

Established Member
My Youtube automated feature thought I might enjoy a recent video of a walking tour of Tokyo, lasting about half an hour. It appeared to be early evening and every single person walking along the streets, including children, was wearing a mask, in the correct position, with the possible exception of one man. Later on a further walking tour of Tokyo, filmed a few months earlier, came up and I watched that through, with same results. These were all public roads and in the open air. If you can point me to another video featuring hundreds of different people in any Japanese town /city, filmed within the last year, say, with few wearing masks, then I might be prepared to say you know what you are talking about. Whether masks are worn indoors by some Japanese, I have no idea. I dislike wearing a mask, and rarely do now, but I don't let that skew my view as to what goes on elsewhere.
Have you tried searching for one pre-pandemic? After all that would be a better measure of how many Japanese people wore masks prior to covid.

MikeWM

Established Member
Have you tried searching for one pre-pandemic? After all that would be a better measure of how many Japanese people wore masks prior to covid.

Or indeed use Google StreetView, which has the convenient feature of allowing you to go back and compare the same location at a number of times in the past 12 years or so.

I just spent five minutes doing that in some busy pedestrian streets in Tokyo for around 2018/2019. Yes, there is *some* mask usage in evidence, but pretty clear so far that it is at most about 5%.

greyman42

Established Member
And, with maybe the exception of the London Underground (at the underground stations) and poorly ventilated areas (where risk of infection is very high), I am now fully against mask mandates.
I would not say it was "very high".

Bantamzen

Established Member
Or indeed use Google StreetView, which has the convenient feature of allowing you to go back and compare the same location at a number of times in the past 12 years or so.

I just spent five minutes doing that in some busy pedestrian streets in Tokyo for around 2018/2019. Yes, there is *some* mask usage in evidence, but pretty clear so far that it is at most about 5%.
Oh yeah there were always some people wearing them, usually if they were feeling ill. But that's something that comes from pressure on Japanese people not to take time away from work rather than the acts of altruism that some people claimed.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Oh yeah there were always some people wearing them, usually if they were feeling ill. But that's something that comes from pressure on Japanese people not to take time away from work rather than the acts of altruism that some people claimed.
Every episode of Japan Railway Journal I watch every week. It's on NHK channel and I can't remember seeing anyone in one and that's filmed all over all three islands.

jumble

I will not even be carrying a mask with me. So if someone concerned asks nicely I'll just say "I'd rather not thanks, and anyway I don't have one, so can't".
You are right the government have worked some people into a very fearful state, but pandering to it isn't going to help them.

One thing that I see as a recipe for problems next week is I have not seen many businesses saying if they will remove / keep the face mask requirements next week. This thread is for listing business that will still deny entry to people not wearing face masks (so I can avoid them)

eurostar
TfL
Most Airlines are saying yes you are not welcome if you can’t wear a mask.

But what shops / chains have openly said they want to continue to make people with medical exceptions feel uncomfortable entering them?
I have just had a weekend in the Ibis in Gloucester
In the lifts is a rude sign that says "The wearing of masks is mandatory on our public spaces" with nothing about exemptions despite the confirmation email stating that they only highly recommend it
I wonder how the Maskevists on here will defend businesses taking my money for a non refundable reservation and then changing their stupid rules afterwards
I have moaned at the Hotel who claim to be waiting for new signs Ha Ha
The good news was that just like TFL no one cared at all whether customers complied or not.
It could however lead to customers being bullied by other maskevist customers and to staff being confronted by angry mask wearers who are incapable of minding their own business.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
In the lifts is a rude sign that says "The wearing of masks is mandatory on our public spaces" with nothing about exemptions despite the confirmation email stating that they only highly recommend it
I wonder how the Maskevists on here will defend businesses taking my money for a non refundable reservation and then changing their stupid rules afterwards
I have moaned at the Hotel who claim to be waiting for new signs Ha Ha
The good news was that just like TFL no one cared at all whether customers complied or not.
It could however lead to customers being bullied by other maskevist customers and to staff being confronted by angry mask resisters
Premier Inn still has a few signs but no one is interested.

I note that the Carnival Vista cruise ship has had a small outbreak so they have mandated masks midway through a cruise. What happens if someone refuses?

trebor79

Established Member
Premier Inn still has a few signs but no one is interested.

I note that the Carnival Vista cruise ship has had a small outbreak so they have mandated masks midway through a cruise. What happens if someone refuses?
Presumably they get cast adrift in a lifeboat with a barrel of fresh water and some salted cod for sustenance.

jumble

One thing that I see as a recipe for problems next week is I have not seen many businesses saying if they will remove / keep the face mask requirements next week. This thread is for listing business that will still deny entry to people not wearing face masks (so I can avoid them)

eurostar
TfL
Most Airlines are saying yes you are not welcome if you can’t wear a mask.

But what shops / chains have openly said they want to continue to make people with medical exceptions feel uncomfortable entering them?
I walked around Ruislip Manor an hour ago and a few shops still have Hillingdon Council notices stating that Masks are Mandatory
I challenged a newsagent who was not wearing a mask
Astonishingly he apologised and promptly took the sign down
My good deed for the day !

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Reptons Coaches in Surrey also seems to have kept mandatory masks (at least on their school bus routes):

Students will be required to wear their own face covering at all times whilst travelling on the bus (in line with Government advice and company policy) unless they are exempt from this regulation and, as you can appreciate, we would require proof or conformation of any exemptions. We reserve the right to refuse travel to anyone who does not comply with this legislation. In the event of a student forgetting/losing their face covering, the drivers will have an emergency supply which, if required, will cost 50p for a mask. As the driver’s supply is for emergency use, the number of masks available will be limited. If a student was to regularly be purchasing masks from the driver, we can inform the school of the situation. Our drivers will be wearing masks while passengers are on board the vehicle.

trebor79

Established Member
Reptons Coaches in Surrey also seems to have kept mandatory masks (at least on their school bus routes):

Ludicrous. And the final sentence just exposes what utter f-wits the people making this rubbish up are. So the driver will wear a mask whilst there are passengers on board. So he drives the empty bus to the school pick up, sans mask, filling the air inside with deadly disease aerosol. But it's OK, as he's going to put on a stupid cloth mask the instant someone gets on board which will make the deadly virus disappear instantly from the air inside the bus.

It could however lead to customers being bullied by other maskevist customers and to staff being confronted by angry mask wearers who are incapable of minding their own business.

I am yet to come across these people but would tell them what to do if i did.
My observation is that nobody cares either way. I've seen absolutely zero discussion about masks despite some train guards still announcing we should be wearing them, and various shops with signs. All I've seen is a few paranoid people:
1. A lady last week walking down a rural road who put a mask on as she approached me and then walked in an absurd semi-circle as we passed.
2. A guy on the train this morning, who got on, stepped into the saloon, spotted about half the very thinly occupied seats were unmasked, tuned round and sat on a tip-up seat in the vestibule. He was visibly uncomfortable when I joined him for a minute before arrival at Peterborough (tight connection so like to be off before any dawdlers get in my way) but said nothing.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I've still seen quite a few independent businesses with "no mask, no entry" signs - bad enough before last Monday (because they don't mention exemptions), but even worse now.
I’m the sort of person that would attempt to go into such a shop, just to tell them that I was going to purchase something from their store, but because of their policy, I will be purchasing from a competitor

johnnychips

Established Member
I think a lot of stores like Poundland are doing the politically correct thing ‘it isn’t over yet’, or something, but actually they don’t give a stuff and half of the staff don’t wear masks anyway, or keep putting them on and off :D

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Reptons Coaches said:
as you can appreciate, we would require proof or conformation of any exemptions. We reserve the right to refuse travel to anyone who does not comply with this legislation.
Are you sure this is their current stance @SouthEastBuses ? The school term finished some weeks ago, as did the legislation - reads to me like they just haven’t bothered updating their policy.

If this is their current policy then it’s the biggest load of bullsh*t I’ve read today - it’s so wrong I wouldn’t even know where to start.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Are you sure this is their current stance @SouthEastBuses ? The school term finished some weeks ago, as did the legislation - reads to me like they just haven’t bothered updating their policy.

If this is their current policy then it’s the biggest load of bullsh*t I’ve read today - it’s so wrong I wouldn’t even know where to start.

I'm not too sure, sorry.

westv

Established Member
This was a news item in the local rag's website

The owner of a village shop which has been dubbed the UK's 'most unwelcoming' after plastering its front door with 'no entry' signs for non-mask wearers has defended her tough stance.

Maria Burke, who runs North Cave News, says she was horrified to hear the shop - which has been in her family for 40 years - had been declared as the 'most unwelcoming' in the country by Hull Brexit and 'freedom campaigner Andrew Allison.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Borough Market has signs up outside and inside advising masks still required by guests. They are also a legal requirement due to the presence of byelaws.

I stayed at Ibis up north probably the same weekend as you a few weeks ago and they seem to be a very pro-restriction company, or at least are hiding behind that as an excuse for not doing much. Signs were plastered everywhere saying “MASKS RECOMMENDED,” and even the poor staff forced into wearing them (clearly didn’t want to as whenever I saw a staff member when they thought no customers were around it was on their chin or off totally). A letter in the room explained no cleaning during stay which didn’t bother me as it was only a one night booking, as well as advising only one person per lift and so on.

adc82140

Established Member
Borough Market has signs up outside and inside advising masks still required by guests. They are also a legal requirement due to the presence of byelaws.

I stayed at Ibis up north probably the same weekend as you a few weeks ago and they seem to be a very pro-restriction company, or at least are hiding behind that as an excuse for not doing much. Signs were plastered everywhere saying “MASKS RECOMMENDED,” and even the poor staff forced into wearing them (clearly didn’t want to as whenever I saw a staff member when they thought no customers were around it was on their chin or off totally). A letter in the room explained no cleaning during stay which didn’t bother me as it was only a one night booking, as well as advising only one person per lift and so on.
Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express are back to normal, except for the plastic screens at reception.

MikeWM

Established Member
Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express are back to normal, except for the plastic screens at reception.

Well, almost. The Premier Inn I'm at tonight (in Kent) still has the pre-July signs on the front door saying that masks are required unless exempt, and they may contact the local authorities if you don't comply (!). I suspect they haven't got around to changing the sign, though you'd hope they'd have got around to it by now.

(I didn't 'comply', of course :)

Anyway, the room is nice and cool, which is more important to me right now, so I won't hold it against them :)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Bantamzen

Established Member
This was a news item in the local rag's website

Oh dear, she really has made a rod for her own back hasn't she? Before I continue I will point out that I do not support some of the kinds of threats that have been made, they should be dealt with as all threats made online.

However most of the rest of the criticism this shop owner has attracted is well justified. One sign during the mandatory period would have been more than enough, but this owner has decided to go full loco with it, made all the worse for having dummies alongside "for those that want to argue". It does make me wonder if there is something more going on here, and a couple of points I picked up on make me think there is. Firstly:

A member of staff, called Sandra, added: "She hasn't had a day off since last February. When supermarkets couldn't get stuff, she was getting things for people to make sure they had what they needed.
Now while it was true that supermarkets did run out of things briefly where some smaller stores didn't, making the claim that she could get stuff that supermarkets couldn't, hmmmm. This makes me think that she has a bit of an axe to grind. I wouldn't be surprised to find that there has been a dispute with the local council over planning for a supermarket in the area, or with another local business. But what really stands out is this:

"It is all passers-by who are going through the village, not the locals."

A member of staff at the shop said many of the worst offenders were people travelling through the area to reach holiday caravans when it was lockdown and they were meant to be staying at home.
Ah ha! So its not the locals, its the not-locals, coming to their shop, touching the precious things.... (For those unaware, this is a reference to a couple of characters from the BBCs dark comedy League of Gentleman)

Maybe the signs aren't there for the locals, I'm sure if Mavis from down the road walked in having forgotten her mask would not be marched out by the owner. A stranger however.... Remind me never to go to North Cave!

adc82140

Established Member
We had something similar in town here. A pub landlady took it upon herself during lockdown 1 to shout at people she believed were not local for parking up and going for a walk (perfectly legal) and posting photos of them on Facebook. Now her pub has reopened, business isn't great, and it's everyone's fault except hers. I had to chuckle to, ysrlf when a lorry demolished the end wall of the pub earlier this year. She acted all hurt on Facebook, and got no sympathy.

She earned herself a short Facebook ban last year because she named someone who had tested positive. I might have had something to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.