• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buxton Spa Express 29/9/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
Was running 40 minutes late (watering issue at Breadsall) when it exited Totley Tunnel at Grindleford today, hauled by 46100 Royal Scot. Video Arrived 69 minutes late at Buxton at 14.33. Left again at 15.39 so not long to see Buxton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oddiesjack

I was surprised that they didn't hold it on the curve between Dore South and West to let the TPE into the Hope Valley first. That ended up 20 mins late as a consequence.
They also allowed the Hindlow-Ashbury's stone train along Ashwood Dale ahead of the excursion, holding that at Great Rocks, which is the reason for the extra delay into Buxton. When the Scot passed me initially at Chinley East, then on the way back at Buxworth, I was disappointed that the 47 was doing as much work as the Scot.

Killingworth

Established Member
I was surprised that they didn't hold it on the curve between Dore South and West to let the TPE into the Hope Valley first. That ended up 20 mins late as a consequence.
They also allowed the Hindlow-Ashbury's stone train along Ashwood Dale ahead of the excursion, holding that at Great Rocks, which is the reason for the extra delay into Buxton. When the Scot passed me initially at Chinley East, then on the way back at Buxworth, I was disappointed that the 47 was doing as much work as the Scot.
The curve is short and wouldn't hold the full train without at least 2 or 3 coaches and the 47 hanging on the MML. Once it had passed Chesterfield it was committed to blocking the northbound MML if it didn't get onto the HVL. By mid-2023 that won't be a problem, as the sort Dore curve will become a proper 3rd track/loop to hold trains changingb to/from the HVL. As it was a Plymouth-Newcastle was also held up by the log jam.

I timed it at 12.25 at Grindleford, 40 minutes late after passing Totley Tunnel East only 37 down. We were beginning to think it had done a Henry the green engine and hidden in the tunnel from the rain! It stopped just before it came out.

It was held at Dore West on the return trip, not sure why. Lots of steam when it got away again.

20210929_184607.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.