• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Cigarettes in the EU from January 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Does anyone know whether there are going to be any transitional arrangements in respect of the above ?

Is it going to be straight back to only 200 Duty Free from January 1st or are you still going to be able to personally import as many as you like provided you paid for them, transported them and they are for you or a gift.

I have a personal interest in this as 200 at a knockdown price are far less attractive than 2000 at the price with local duty paid in which ever EU Member you purchase them in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Does anyone know whether there are going to be any transitional arrangements in respect of the above ?

Is it going to be straight back to only 200 Duty Free from January 1st or are you still going to be able to personally import as many as you like provided you paid for them, transported them and they are for you or a gift.

I have a personal interest in this as 200 at a knockdown price are far less attractive than 2000 at the price with local duty paid in which ever EU Member you purchase them in.

The UK leaves the customs union on the 1st January. So you'll be limited to 200 just like a non EU country.

Butts

Veteran Member
The UK leaves the customs union on the 1st January. So you'll be limited to 200 just like a non EU country.

Harbinger of doom, thanks anyway.

I have not picked up on any official proclamation with regard to this area of Brexit and thought there may have been a transitional period.

Was supposed to be going to Italy later this month for a "final shop" but that has been knocked on the head by BA / restrictions.

Just got to hope somewhere "opens up" before the 31st to facilitate my ability to purchase a final haul.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I think the accurate answer to this is - nobody knows. Yet. "They" are still negotiating.
The rest is conjecture.
My guess is: UK Gov won't want to permit unfettered access to (in particular) high tax items in these circumstances since it represents a revenue loss. So it won't be anything they will press for. I doubt the EU would mind. But it may form part of a wider agreement (if one takes place) giving UK Gov little or no choice. I'd work on the basis that it will stop or at least be severely constrained and anything "more" is a bonus.

dosxuk

Established Member
I have not picked up on any official proclamation with regard to this area of Brexit and thought there may have been a transitional period.

There is - it started on the 31st January 2020 and runs until the 31st December 2020.

As to what the rules will be come January 1st 2021, well, that's currently anyone's guess as no agreement has yet been made (despite the government's hugely expensive advertising campaigns calling for us to get ready for it - how do we do this when the rules have not yet been agreed!).

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Back to buying them off bloke in a pub who knows a bloke who drives a lorry to Spain twice a month ;)

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

We are in the transition period now. There has been an official announcement. Link below.

It’s 200 cigarettes.

Butts

Veteran Member
Back to buying them off bloke in a pub who knows a bloke who drives a lorry to Spain twice a month ;)

Unfortunately that's not an option for me as such "salesman" rarely convey Premium Brands - Pure Gold from Benson & Hedges.

We are in the transition period now. There has been an official announcement. Link below.

It’s 200 cigarettes.

They could have bumped up the allowance a bit to compensate.

I wonder how much 200 B&H Gold are Duty Free in Luxembourg - they are only about Euro 5.40 in a normal outlet with the tax paid at their rate.

radamfi

Established Member

Big smokers would be better off moving to Luxembourg before the new year. Expensive country in general but free transport, cheap cigarettes and cheap petrol. If you can't go before then, you should move to Ireland, as that will still be unrestricted. Then you can buy cigarettes in Luxembourg as normal. After 5 years get Irish citizenship then move to Luxembourg.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
They could have bumped up the allowance a bit to compensate.

Why would they enable people to avoid tax on a product that is proven to be bad for your health?

Of course you can still go to Lux and buy them, and pay the duty on arrival in the U.K. :)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Shouldn't the correct assumption be that we will be treated as any other non EU country (as that will be the default position unless there is a deal).

radamfi

Established Member
Is anyone here moving to Ireland to regain EU citizenship after 5 years?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why an Italian in particular? Is your idea to still live in the UK after marriage?

I have two friends with Italian wives. Both have received their Italian citizenship by presenting themselves at a post office in Italy, with marriage certificate and an application form. Apparently you can now do it online. Seemed rather easy.

Other european countries may offer similar!

Chester1

Established Member
Is anyone here moving to Ireland to regain EU citizenship after 5 years?

That is a topic worthy of a whole thread if moderators would like to split it!

My two cents is very few people will. Most people prefer to moan about problems rather than do anything about them. Even with a moderate spike in emigration to the EU prior to the end of freedom of movement, its still at a pathetically low level relative to inter EU migration. Approximately 4 million EU citizens require pre settled or settled status to stay in the UK after June. In addition to that group are Irish Citizens and EU citizens who had already obtained British Citizenship prior to 2018. There are estimated to be around 1.3 million Brits requiring residency rights in EU due to Brexit (and about 300,000 Brits in Republic of Ireland).

My guess would be that 300,000 Brits in the Republic will grow to maybe 400,000-500,000 in the next decade. To put it simply, if EU citizenship was important to some individuals as they claim then more than a fraction of 1% would have moved in the 4 and a half years since the referendum. There is a economic prosperous, european, English speaking city a cheap and short Ryanair flight away but few would actually move to it, even if they have or are prepared to move within the UK.

What brexit has "stolen" from some people is the dream of moving to Europe, one which very very few would have ever followed. A large chunk of the population will qualify for work visas and / or retirement visas. Most of those that don't could split their time and be visitors for upto 90 out of any 180 day period. Some countries allow citizens of third countries to obtain 6 month stay visitor visas, matching how long many people currently stay (to avoid being local residents for tax).

najaB

Veteran Member
My two cents is very few people will. Most people prefer to moan about problems rather than do anything about them. Even with a moderate spike in emigration to the EU prior to the end of freedom of movement, its still at a pathetically low level relative to inter EU migration.
I think because it's not clear yet (despite four years) what the post-Brexit arrangements will be. I think once the impacts are clear then people will be able to decide on their future plans.

Chester1

Established Member
I think because it's not clear yet (despite four years) what the post-Brexit arrangements will be. I think once the impacts are clear then people will be able to decide on their future plans.

Trade will be either WTO or tariff less (i.e. customs checks will be introduced). Most people work in services industries and the terms of brexit for them are more or less set. The terms for immigration (excluding Ireland) will certainly be tighter than freedom of movement. The visas on offer to third country nationals in both the UK and EU are already known.

Most people who don't move before the end of this month when they have freedom of movement aren't going to move for the foreseeable future, if ever. A lot of young and middle aged people moaning about the end of freedom of movement were never serious about emigrating because they don't speak any language other than English and weren't prepared to make the effort to learn one. The one exception to this problem (Ireland) will still be available to them. People have been put on the spot over the last 4 and a half years and had to decide whether to move and 99% haven't. The dream of retiring to the med is alive, but requires people to plan for their retirement (which is a very good thing in any circumstance).

ungreat

Perhaps now the tax take from tobacco will increase as people can no longer undertake tax avoidance operations via the EU? It depends how you look at these things.
It does....but I still think it's the worst move the UK has made for a very long time.

radamfi

Established Member
If you have pre existing health conditions which mean you can't get affordable travel insurance, your only option is to move to Ireland. As far as I can tell you can get an EHIC as soon as you start living there and you don't need to wait for citizenship.

najaB

Veteran Member
Most people...

A lot of young people...
Neither of which is "all". There are/will be some people who make the move to Europe because of Brexit. I know two people who were planning to do so because they were married to/had kids with EU citizens, though I haven't spoken with either of them recently to know if they've made the move yet.

Chester1

Established Member
If you have pre existing health conditions which mean you can't get affordable travel insurance, your only option is to move to Ireland. As far as I can tell you can get an EHIC as soon as you start living there and you don't need to wait for citizenship.

If people can afford the costs of relocating to Ireland then they should be able to afford holiday travel insurance!

Neither of which is "all". There are/will be some people who make the move to Europe because of Brexit. I know two people who were planning to do so because they were married to/had kids with EU citizens, though I haven't spoken with either of them recently to know if they've made the move yet.

Spouses of EU citizens (of any non EU citizenship) can easily get a visa to move, they don't need to rush. I don't deny that people have moved because of brexit. More may move but it will probably be tilted towards Ireland. The point I was making was that even with the increase since the referendum the numbers are pathetically low compared to the rest of the EU. If people chose not to move while they had FOM they are even less likely to when they have to jump through hoops to get a visa. Most people who are very pro EU are not prepared to learn another European language fluently, so when push came to shove 99% are letting the FOM deadline pass. For the vast majority dreaming of emigrating was and will only ever be a form of escapism and not something to actually do.

I am interested in moving to Dublin one day and to retire to somewhere on the Med. Both options are still open. If I can't build up a decent pension before retirement to be eligible for a visa then why should another country allow me to live there and be a drain on their taxpayers? The language barrier is prohibitive to moving to the continent during my working life. Its one thing getting to a conversational level during retirement and another thing to reach fluency required for a decent job (while holding down a full time job at same time).

radamfi

Established Member
If people can afford the costs of relocating to Ireland then they should be able to afford holiday travel insurance!

Relocating is a one-off cost, but travel insurance would be paid for life, potentially thousands of pounds per year, assuming you can even get cover.

I am interested in moving to Dublin one day and to retire to somewhere on the Med. Both options are still open. If I can't build up a decent pension before retirement to be eligible for a visa then why should another country allow me to live there and be a drain on their taxpayers? The language barrier is prohibitive to moving to the continent during my working life. Its one thing getting to a conversational level during retirement and another thing to reach fluency required for a decent job (while holding down a full time job at same time).

I had a look at the retirement options for Spain. Passing the income threshold is relatively easy, for example if you sell a mortgage free house. But you can only get a visa if you get health insurance, and if you have pre-existing health problems you would have the same problem as above.

Chester1

Established Member
Relocating is a one-off cost, but travel insurance would be paid for life, potentially thousands of pounds per year, assuming you can even get cover.

I had a look at the retirement options for Spain. Passing the income threshold is relatively easy, for example if you sell a mortgage free house. But you can only get a visa if you get health insurance, and if you have pre-existing health problems you would have the same problem as above.

EHIC isn't insurance and tourists who use it to buy travel insurance that excludes a pre-existing condition are gambling.

If British emigrants with pre existing conditions cannot afford to buy health insurance then they would be a liability to their host country (which they are currently forced to accept because of FOM). Its reasonable for countries to set levels for third country citizens that ensure immigrants are not a liability (and they they learn the national language to a reasonable level).

Portugal is investigating various options for insurance for both British tourists and British immigrants. Collectively part time British residents and tourists contribute 1.5% of Portugal's GDP. The state backed Coronavirus holiday insurance has been success, which should encourage them to push ahead. The Portuguese government want to obtain larger shares of the British expat and tourist markets after Brexit. If correctly set up both schemes would make both part time residency and holidays viable for all but the most sick Brits.

Status
Not open for further replies.