• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR B23 Stock (CAF Inneo)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Brilliant . So are these to be built in Wales or Spain ? Or Is it still undecided. Let’s hope it is kept I the Uk.
I’m not seeing what is brilliant about buying trains from a manufacturer with an appalling reputation for build quality.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does anyone know how many doors will need to be locked out at the short platform stations (eg Elverson Road)? Will it still be doors at both ends or will they stop the front of the train at the platform and lock out the rear doors?

Taunton

Established Member
Just saw this thread. The earlier comments about the Anticlimbers being H&S gone mad are misplaced. They have been standard in the USA since the 1930s, all the classic streamlined diesels have them. They work much better than smooth buffers in preventing riding up and telescoping.

The

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It looks like a tilting train in that picture, but isn't.

I took it that they were trying to illustrate the train leaning over when making the curve as it would do with canting (super elevevation) on the curves but they haven't got it quite right and have somewhat distorted the train

rebmcr

Established Member
Does anyone know how many doors will need to be locked out at the short platform stations (eg Elverson Road)? Will it still be doors at both ends or will they stop the front of the train at the platform and lock out the rear doors?

I believe they could choose either. The Seltrac signalling will already have berths (stopping positions) marked for single-unit operation in addition to those for overhanging double-units.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
The perspective on it seems off to me as well, unless they're proposing a sweeping roofline that rises up at the ends of the units!

popeter45

is it me or does that artists impression seem to suggest intermediate cars will have 3 doors each side instead of 2?
dread to think of the seating plan if that's the case

Mikey C

Established Member
is it me or does that artists impression seem to suggest intermediate cars will have 3 doors each side instead of 2?
"Seats in London are so passé darling..."

100andthirty

Yes, intermediate case are intended to have three pairs of doors each side with two on the end cars. As they will be 5-car trains, this represents just one door more than the current 3-car trains. At most, that will cost six seats, but this is compensated by having fewer vehicle ends/couplers/articulations which also consume space. In practice the number of seats should be similar to today and there will be more standing space.

TheManWho

Same as now- first two and last two

thealm

Another TfL contract which Bombardier have lost, Bombardier have supplied all the DLR stock since 1991
Bombardier aren't the only manufacture of trains in this country. CAF have excellent products on the market and have made plenty of trains and built a factory here in the UK. A operator also doesn't need to stick with a company to build rolling stock for them. It was as a fair tender and CAF rightfully won!

Mikey C

Established Member
Bombardier aren't the only manufacture of trains in this country. CAF have excellent products on the market and have made plenty of trains and built a factory here in the UK. A operator also doesn't need to stick with a company to build rolling stock for them. It was as a fair tender and CAF rightfully won!
I wasn't complaining, the point I was making was that Bombardier had gone through a long period of winning virtually everything in London so the recent contract losses will have been a big blow to them.

The 2009 and S stock Underground trains, all the DLR trains between the B90 and B09 stock (nothing to do with Derby anyway), the 378 and 710 Overground trains, and the 345 Crossrail trains, that's a lot of business. You imagine that the Aventra shambles can't have helped their relationship with TfL though.

Domh245

Established Member
I know it's just a wooden mockup, but there's a joke in there about the guy pressing the touchscreens and nothing happening :!:

fgwrich

Established Member
I have to say, I’m a little underwhelmed to be honest. Compared to what Stadler seem to be offering in the new Nexus units, this does look a little cheap, and the front of the unit appears to be based on something that would run in the USA. Also, I hope that isn’t hinting at a new White / Turquoise livery, something rather reminiscent of the old Siemens branding!

On Moderation
I have to say, I’m a little underwhelmed to be honest. Compared to what Stadler seem to be offering in the new Nexus units, this does look a little cheap, and the front of the unit appears to be based on something that would run in the USA. Also, I hope that isn’t hinting at a new White / Turquoise livery, something rather reminiscent of the old Siemens branding!
You do know what CAF is said to stand for, don’t you?
:lol:

bussikuski179

Helsinki got 20 new metro trains from CAF, very similar to the older Bombardier units. Even though they are fully walkthrough and great in theory, they just aren’t. The traction motors are massively loud and make odd noises, the doors slam both when opening and closing, and they generally just feel cheap. I don’t have high hopes for these trains.

EssexGonzo

It looks like there are no opening windows. Is this just part of the mock-up or will these have air-con?

Taunton

Established Member
Regular DLR user here, who finds these new trains just continue the race to the bottom for vehicle standards.

Seats reduced yet again, just about all are sideways facing. I see in the usual TfL way the principal concern in the video is for the Politically Correct groups, nothing for the fare-paying passengers. Plenty of coverage given to bringing on a bicycle, which is placed right across the upholstered tip-up seats. I wonder there isn't a special comfortable seating section reserved for members of Extinction Rebellion.

Incidentally, bikes can be taken on the current DLR as well. The ONLY time I have ever seen this done was on the day of the London Bike Ride, when just a few brought them on to get back to their cars. It's just as well - the lifts up to the platform have a limited capacity and are so slow they only manage about one round trip a minute. How fortunate that the ignored 99% of users, those who actually pay our fares, are able to use the stairs.

The popular forward facing seats at the ends of the vehicle have been reduced yet again, from two to one rows. It used to be that the DLR made much of its sightseeing capabilities, now it seems we all have to sit (if we can get a seat) facing inwards.

The newest trains had the seating rearranged a couple of years ago with more sideways facing, supposedly for additional standing space. It doubtless looked fine on the drawing. Guess what, nobody stands much there, they continue to stand around the doors and in the inter-car areas. It's actually pretty difficult to stand down the middle with people seated, unlike in a tube car, without getting in the way of the feet of the seated passengers, while the vehicle sways around, as DLR cars do (and will continue to do so).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The front is just similar to the existing units, isn't it?

Most obvious thing to me is a considerably reduced amount of seating.