• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR B23 Stock (CAF Inneo)

Domh245

Established Member
The front is just similar to the existing units, isn't it?

Superficially yes, in that they've got 3 windows and elliptical headlight surrounds, but other than that not really. The additional lights at top and bottom are not seen on anything else in the UK, as well as the rounded black painted section which isn't full width make them look tall and ungainly IMO

Regular DLR user here, who finds these new trains just continue the race to the bottom for vehicle standards.

Seats reduced yet again, just about all are sideways facing. I see in the usual TfL way the principal concern in the video is for the Politically Correct groups, nothing for the fare-paying passengers. Plenty of coverage given to bringing on a bicycle, which is placed right across the upholstered tip-up seats. I wonder there isn't a special comfortable seating section reserved for members of Extinction Rebellion.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Regular DLR user here, who finds these new trains just continue the race to the bottom for vehicle standards.

Seats reduced yet again, just about all are sideways facing. I see in the usual TfL way the principal concern in the video is for the Politically Correct groups, nothing for the fare-paying passengers. Plenty of coverage given to bringing on a bicycle, which is placed right across the upholstered tip-up seats. I wonder there isn't a special comfortable seating section reserved for members of Extinction Rebellion.

Incidentally, bikes can be taken on the current DLR as well. The ONLY time I have ever seen this done was on the day of the London Bike Ride, when just a few brought them on to get back to their cars. It's just as well - the lifts up to the platform have a limited capacity and are so slow they only manage about one round trip a minute. How fortunate that the ignored 99% of users, those who actually pay our fares, are able to use the stairs.

The popular forward facing seats at the ends of the vehicle have been reduced yet again, from two to one rows. It used to be that the DLR made much of its sightseeing capabilities, now it seems we all have to sit (if we can get a seat) facing inwards.

The newest trains had the seating rearranged a couple of years ago with more sideways facing, supposedly for additional standing space. It doubtless looked fine on the drawing. Guess what, nobody stands much there, they continue to stand around the doors and in the inter-car areas. It's actually pretty difficult to stand down the middle with people seated, unlike in a tube car, without getting in the way of the feet of the seated passengers, while the vehicle sways around, as DLR cars do (and will continue to do so).
I see a few people taking bikes on the Lewisham - Greenwich - Canary Wharf section, which perhaps isn't surprising as there are limited options for crossing the river by bike. Between Tower Bridge and Woolwich you have the Rotherhithe Tunnel (not great for lungs), the Greenwich Tunnel (which you can't ride through) or the DLR.

There was supposed to be a new bridge from Rotherhithe to the west side of Canary Wharf but that seems to have been cancelled unfortunately.

The other DLR corridors are largely paralleled by designated cycle routes - CS3 from the City to Canning Town and the Greenway from Stratford to Beckton so I would expect fewer people to take a bike on those lines.

rebmcr

Established Member

Incidentally, bikes can be taken on the current DLR as well. The ONLY time I have ever seen this done was on the day of the London Bike Ride, when just a few brought them on to get back to their cars. It's just as well - the lifts up to the platform have a limited capacity and are so slow they only manage about one round trip a minute. How fortunate that the ignored 99% of users, those who actually pay our fares, are able to use the stairs.

The popular forward facing seats at the ends of the vehicle have been reduced yet again, from two to one rows. It used to be that the DLR made much of its sightseeing capabilities, now it seems we all have to sit (if we can get a seat) facing inwards.

The newest trains had the seating rearranged a couple of years ago with more sideways facing, supposedly for additional standing space. It doubtless looked fine on the drawing. Guess what, nobody stands much there, they continue to stand around the doors and in the inter-car areas. It's actually pretty difficult to stand down the middle with people seated, unlike in a tube car, without getting in the way of the feet of the seated passengers, while the vehicle sways around, as DLR cars do (and will continue to do so).
What a weird rant.

Mikey C

Established Member
If someone was to hog 4 seats with their bicycle, I imagine the rider would get "friendly" words from people wishing to sit down...

northernbelle

These look like an appropriate evolution the existing stock to me. Given the complexity of increasing train length, the only logical way of increasing capacity as necessary is to provide extra standee room as we've seen with the Underground, Crossrail and other inner suburban stock such as the 376s and 701s.

The livery is a bit underwhelming although the front end styling is clearly intended to mimic the 'family' appearance of previous DLR stock which is a nice touch.

A quick Google reveals the average DLR journey time to be 27 mins - I can't imagine this being much different to Underground where maximum standee space is a fact of life - most Londoners would prefer to stand than be left behind for the following train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If someone was to hog 4 seats with their bicycle, I imagine the rider would get "friendly" words from people wishing to sit down...

And therein lies the problem with tip-up seats. I'm yet to think of a single context where they make sense. You either want bike space (which is dedicated for bikes, and not occupied with people unless it's full and standing) or you want seats.

telstarbox

Established Member
That's a good point. I took my bike on a LM Class 350, outside the banned hours but still a busy train. Found the designated bike area (tip up seats) but that meant three people couldn't sit down, so I stood in the doorway instead.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Still very popular in these parts where the only alternatives are buses or Southeastern. The Lewisham branch is rammed most of the day because it’s the closest thing we have to a tube (despite slowness and the current toy trains).
If you really must go to Canary Wharf, sitting at the front through the West India Quay "roller coaster" is a much more fun than the Jubilee line.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Still very popular in these parts where the only alternatives are buses or Southeastern. The Lewisham branch is rammed most of the day because it’s the closest thing we have to a tube (despite slowness and the current toy trains).

I know, but my point was that unless you have a flat tyre or it's tipping down you'll ride your bike, not take it on the DLR, because it's quicker to ride it.

If you really must go to Canary Wharf, sitting at the front through the West India Quay "roller coaster" is a much more fun than the Jubilee line.

I'll give you that one, I'd go DLR if I have to go there (or the Thames Clipper for a bit of fun), but fortunately I haven't in quite a while, I hate the place, a fake New York with fake plastic policemen where they've clearly sought legal advice as to how close they could get to actual police uniform without committing the offence of impersonation.

Taunton

Established Member
I'll give you that one, I'd go DLR if I have to go there (or the Thames Clipper for a bit of fun), but fortunately I haven't in quite a while, I hate the place
Do come again sometime. It's a pretty cool place. We enjoy it here :)

Mikey C

Established Member
Ditto Greenwich. A lot slower, but a much more interesting journey

XAM2175

Established Member

I hadn't realised that "Politically Correct" people were exempt from paying fares in London.

On Moderation
I know, but my point was that unless you have a flat tyre or it's tipping down you'll ride your bike, not take it on the DLR, because it's quicker to ride it.
Bikes should be banned from the likes of the DLR/local buses/Underground. It is a nonsense that anyone should be taking a bike on local transport when the bike itself is an alternative to those transport modes.

telstarbox

Established Member
Why does it matter if someone brings a bike from, say, Barking to Upminster on a quiet District line train? There's plenty of space outside the peaks.

TRAX

Established Member
Video showing completed mock-up and new livery:

They made it look older than in the initial artist impressions....

Helsinki got 20 new metro trains from CAF, very similar to the older Bombardier units. Even though they are fully walkthrough and great in theory, they just aren’t. The traction motors are massively loud and make odd noises, the doors slam both when opening and closing, and they generally just feel cheap. I don’t have high hopes for these trains.

These will have TSA motors, which are usually very quiet.

TheManWho

Bikes should be banned from the likes of the DLR/local buses/Underground. It is a nonsense that anyone should be taking a bike on local transport when the bike itself is an alternative to those transport modes.
What a bizzare thing to say. If I live in, for example, Upminster and going for a cycle in Greenwich Park, how would I transport my bike from Upminster to Greenwich?

507 001

Established Member
They made it look older than in the initial artist impressions....

These will have TSA motors, which are usually very quiet.

If they’re anything like the TSA motors fitted to M5000s, too quiet!

Applepie356

Will the PSA’s get their own cab to operate from?

I know there was a debate somewhere about how there’s no one to emergency stop the train if an obstruction or person falls onto the track

TheManWho

I know there was a debate somewhere about how there’s no one to emergency stop the train if an obstruction or person falls onto the track
There will be a glass screen behind where the PSA would operate the train from, and a small barrier to pull across next to the seat to ensure a passenger doesn't sit next to the PSA.

When the railways returns to "normal operations" post-COVID, the PSAs will return to operating the trains from the doors

D365

Veteran Member
They're not the same model but TSA motors tend to be very quiet anyway so...
If TSA motors are as quiet as is said, it's impressive that one can hear them on the Class 230s over the engine sound!

JaJaWa

Established Member

There is a different kind of seats with much higher backs in the front row

gsnedders

Established Member
For all the discussion of seating here, as someone who spent the past year and a half living near Westferry, I'll point out that being unable to board during the morning rush hour was a thing that did happen. Having more space for standees would be nothing but good, in my book. The DLR has in some ways been a victim of its own success, hence the lengthening to three-car trains previously, and that now doesn't suffice. I hope the additional space made available by being a single unit will provide a decent capacity uplift, and I do wonder where else the DLR can go to improve capacity.