• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper diversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

Has the Caledonian Sleeper ever been diverted via Birmingham New Street, or via the GW&GC line between London and the midlands?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
1M11 and 1S26 go via Bescot and Birmingham International regularly on Sunday night when the Trent Valley is shut for possessions, known as the West Mids diversions. Can't answer for certain about the GW and GC. Maybe years ago under BR but I highly doubt it has in recent times, say not in the last 10-20 years anyway.

EDIT. Forgot to add that the route via New street is a diversion for the sleeper but only sees very very occasional use, same with Wolverhampton.

Last edited:

Andy R. A.

Going back 40 odd years the GW/GC route saw some diversions 'at times of crisis'. Most common was 1A04 from Holyhead, and 1M14 from Stranraer, which was booked via (but didn't call) at Birmingham New Street. Most of the other Sleeper diversions ran via the Midland Main Line via Cricklewood and Acton Canal Wharf.

Czesziafan

Going back 40 odd years the GW/GC route saw some diversions 'at times of crisis'. Most common was 1A04 from Holyhead, and 1M14 from Stranraer, which was booked via (but didn't call) at Birmingham New Street. Most of the other Sleeper diversions ran via the Midland Main Line via Cricklewood and Acton Canal Wharf.
Interesting, and it reminds me that once, in August 1976, I was on a return ADEX from Aberystwyth to Slough, which was routed non-stop through New St.

Veteran Member
These days the sheer weight of the train means they prefer to stick with the contracted electric haulage, I imagine :)

CW2

Established Member
By the time of West Coast Route Modernisation (upto 2006) the Saturday night overnight sleeper services had already been abolished (nationally). When there were long blocks south of Rugby these were usually arranged to start Saturday morning after the passage of the southbound sleepers. So even if daytime services (passenger and freight) ran via the GW/GC joint, the sleepers ran booked route before the block came on.
In more recent times, diversion of the sleepers via the ECML either into Kings Cross or Euston (via Wembley reversal) is preferred. Traincrew route knowledge must play an important part, especially since the change from DB Cargo to GBRF.

On Moderation
In more recent times, diversion of the sleepers via the ECML either into Kings Cross or Euston (via Wembley reversal) is preferred. Traincrew route knowledge must play an important part, especially since the change from DB Cargo to GBRF.
GBRf have been far more proactive in terms of resourcing diversions - sometimes even at short notice - than DB Cargo and its predecessors ever were. I get the impression GBRf will always do their utmost to run, whereas the previous regime used to go to the “can’t be done” line much more easily.

I half-recall a brief experiment around 1989-1990 with running maybe one Aberdeen and one Inverness sleeper in each direction (in the days when those routes still had two trains each - the Inverness train involved may have been the one with the Fort William portion) via New Street with a public stop there, in an attempt to develop the West Midlands to Highlands market. I don't think it was a success.

the Inverness train involved may have been the one with the Fort William portion
My recollection is that it was, although like you I only half-recall it*, and I don't remember the year(s) (I'd have guessed a bit earlier than 1989-1990).

*(From noticing it in the timetable, not as a user, although I might find it occasionally useful if it still ran today.)

Status
Not open for further replies.