• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tormod

For anyone interested this is what the ECML diversions/reversals look like from the train, a couple of videos here and here

obviously this was on the old stock! Each time I've done it I've quite enjoyed the trip into Wembley yard and watching 'regular' passengers look a bit surprised as the sleeper rolls through their local overground station.
Interesting, thanks.

island

Veteran Member
The Caledonian Sleeper alcohol licence is issued by Aberdeen City Council. I remember when they applied for it notices were placed around Aberdeen Station about it.

Under Scottish Law at present it is illegal to serve alcohol indoors (and only outdoors until 10pm) therefore the CS has to comply with this both ways.

Each vehicle on the CS has to have a separate alcohol licence as they are classed as individual venues.

Most other TOCs have their alcohol licences split between depot sites or offices. As CS don't have another office technically they can't do this.

The Premises Licence is held by Serco Caledonian Sleeper. At least one person on each train is a designated Premises Supervisor who is able to serve alcohol.
Under section 173 (1) of the Licensing Act 2003, an activity is not a licensable activity if it is carried on aboard a railway vehicle engaged on a journey. So licensing law is irrelevant here.

Under the current Coronavirus restrictions regulations it is illegal to serve alcohol indoors. The definition of indoors in England does not consider a train to be indoors and the definition in Scotland does.

The CS could, if it wished to, serve alcohol in England but not in Scotland.

Butts

Veteran Member
Under section 173 (1) of the Licensing Act 2003, an activity is not a licensable activity if it is carried on aboard a railway vehicle engaged on a journey. So licensing law is irrelevant here.

Under the current Coronavirus restrictions regulations it is illegal to serve alcohol indoors. The definition of indoors in England does not consider a train to be indoors and the definition in Scotland does.

Well thanks for that Island.

From what you say CS are not the worse offenders here - step forward Avanti & LNER for withdrawing Free Alcohol in 1st Class.

Roger B

Apologies if this has been dealt with up-thread, but .... What are the arrangements in the new timetable for the additional day coaches that used to run between EDB and FTW - or are they no longer running?

Looking at the new timetable on RTT (eg for Wed 19th June), I can't see any ECS (5xnn) workings in/out of EDB for the additional FTW day coaches between arrival from FTW (at 01.11), and departure back to FTW (04.50). There are quite a few light engine movements (0xnn), but no ECS. Perhaps these day coaches now run through to / from EUS (locked oou south of EDB?). Or perhaps they remain in the platform (2), but that'd be tricky when 1S25 arrives into the same platform - you'd end-up with the 92 sandwiched between the FTW day coaches and the coaches of 1S25, which would take a bit of juggling to get out - and probably need some ECS working as well to get the stock together to couple-up (bit of a long-shot that one).

BRX

Established Member
Apologies if this has been dealt with up-thread, but .... What are the arrangements in the new timetable for the additional day coaches that used to run between EDB and FTW - or are they no longer running?

Looking at the new timetable on RTT (eg for Wed 19th June), I can't see any ECS (5xnn) workings in/out of EDB for the additional FTW day coaches between arrival from FTW (at 01.11), and departure back to FTW (04.50). There are quite a few light engine movements (0xnn), but no ECS. Perhaps these day coaches now run through to / from EUS (locked oou south of EDB?). Or perhaps they remain in the platform (2), but that'd be tricky when 1S25 arrives into the same platform - you'd end-up with the 92 sandwiched between the FTW day coaches and the coaches of 1S25, which would take a bit of juggling to get out - and probably need some ECS working as well to get the stock together to couple-up (bit of a long-shot that one).
At least with the old stock, the Fort William day coaches just sat in Waverley for the few hours in between arriving on the south bound and leaving from the northbound.

If you look around 1:10 here you can see them being retrieved from their stabling point alongside the wall on the track parallel to the platform one.

InOban

Established Member
If you look around 1:10 here you can see them being retrieved from their stabling point alongside the wall on the track parallel to the platform one.

AKA the Klondyke.

Roger B

At least with the old stock, the Fort William day coaches just sat in Waverley for the few hours in between arriving on the south bound and leaving from the northbound.

They often sit in Platform 5
Many thanks. If I'm understanding you correctly, that suggests that some of the 0xnn 'light engine' movements per RTT are really ECS movements, and should be classified as 5xnn movements.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Many thanks. If I'm understanding you correctly, that suggests that some of the 0xnn 'light engine' movements per RTT are really ECS movements, and should be classified as 5xnn movements.

No. The coach shunts take place without a schedule in the railway IT systems as they’re not required to have one.

boom boom

They are serving alcohol. Room service with snacks and drinks is available to your room. This started last week

BRX

Established Member
I got a promo email from CS yesterday that suggested the lounge would be reopening in the next few weeks.

AberdeenBill

I got a promo email from CS yesterday that suggested the lounge would be reopening in the next few weeks.
I would suspect that if they are basing their decision on the UK Government aspirations, then if all goes to plan there should be no reason for it not to be open from 21 June and possibly even when the next easing of restrictions occurs on 17 May. I am travelling on 21 May so will await with interest.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would suspect that if they are basing their decision on the UK Government aspirations, then if all goes to plan there should be no reason for it not to be open from 21 June and possibly even when the next easing of restrictions occurs on 17 May. I am travelling on 21 May so will await with interest.

In essence it's an indoor pub/restaurant, so I don't see a reason for it to be treated any differently.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
In essence it's an indoor pub/restaurant, so I don't see a reason for it to be treated any differently.

The Great Western Night Riv Lounges are all ready open for sit in so it can’t be to do with any relaxing that hasn’t already happened.

Butts

Veteran Member

If they need someone to man the Bar I'd happily do it and open the Lounge up for a few free Malt's and somewhere for a quick burn.

Perhaps they should get a BA Flight Attendant to do it as they don't seem scared of serving Alcohol in an enclosed environment.

MrEd

They are serving alcohol. Room service with snacks and drinks is available to your room. This started last week
What sort of food and drinks are available on the room service menu; has anyone seen one? Is it like a scaled-down lounge car menu? I don’t think there is a sample menu on the website (although it has been updated and the message about non-essential travel has now been replaced with ‘welcome back’).

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What sort of food and drinks are available on the room service menu; has anyone seen one? Is it like a scaled-down lounge car menu? I don’t think there is a sample menu on the website (although it has been updated and the message about non-essential travel has now been replaced with ‘welcome back’).
I’m on the northbound Lowlander tonight so will update on the food/drinks selection once on board :D

MrEd

Have you been on an Aeroplane recently ?

Or The Night Riviera ?
I think it’s because of Scottish law regarding indoor hospitality- the Riviera and aviation do not have to follow Scottish law (I think that the lounge cars have to follow Scottish law regarding indoor hospitality- whereas in England the Riviera lounge does not class as an indoor venue). Once we get to June and the Scottish restrictions on indoor hospitality ease I’m sure it’ll reopen in some capacity.

I get the impression that if CS could open it, they would.

I’m on the northbound Lowlander tonight so will update on the food/drinks selection once on board :D
Brilliant!

CW2

Established Member
I get the impression that if the CS on-train staff could retain it as a staff-only club room then they would. They seem to enjoy congregating there.

williamn

So I made my first trip on the new trains, London to Glasgow earlier this week.
As I checked in they said they'd be moving me from my middle carriage berth to No.1, which I declined! A member of staff said 'Oh you've been on before then?', so staff clearly know its rough riding. Just told him I'd read about it (here).

After reading lots of not very positive reviews I was pretty happy with my ensuite cabin. Its true that some of the well thought out details of the old cabins are missing - in particular the little alcove to hold water bottles, the fold down tables over the berths, the hangers with straps to hold your clothes to the wall and in general the old cabins had WAY more storage. No idea what those on holiday do with all their cases.

All the finishings are nice, and I LOVED the way the table folded out from under the sink!

Having ensuite is definitely a plus and I found the cabin in general to be pretty comfortable. There was no hot water in my cabin but water pressure in the shower seemed good.

However I didn't sleep very well. I found the cabin too hot with the air con on its lowest setting, too bright (the lighting controls themselves emit light), and the bathroom door rattled badly. I solved that by opening it, but then you have a bright light in the bathroom that you can't turn off. An eye-mask is now essential!

The breakfast is currently pretty poor in my opinion. Opted for the granola and then found it was soy yoghurt which I felt I should have been told about.

In general I find the CS communications pretty bad - I had stocked up on a few drams and snacks as their website said there was no catering, but in fact there WAS room service. It was also unclear when I could stay on the train until in Glasgow. Their online timetable says 8am but the emails I was sent said 07.30 (a generous 8 mins after arrival!). CS isn't a big company so it really should be able to get these details right for what is now a premium service.

Oh and the train was almost empty.

I've just taken new job in Glasgow so will be doing this monthly this year, so it'll be interesting to see if the service evolves and if I manage to get more sleep next time!

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Brilliant!
As requested! (Ignore the fact it states Highlander - I’ve successfully just ordered from it…)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 157