• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The one time that Ryanair had to refund me (the ash cloud fiasco) it turned up within a week. Another well known carrier took 4 months.....

They took a month with me, when they cancelled my flight the day after I booked it (4 months out). Perhaps they had cash flow problems...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flitwickbeds

Are you referring to the famous Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act (1974) for purchases over £100?

This seems to have been around for a long time.
Yes, credit cards have had Section 75 for a few decades I believe.

The chargeback scheme applies to debit cards and is only a few years old I think. It has different rules to S75.

Bill57p9

Does anyone have confirmation of what compensation of any form CS are offering passengers who are bustituted (assuming the net delay is insufficient for delay repay)?
Given the high end product positioning I would hope/expect it were significant but I fear otherwise.
(No hotel has ever kicked me out of my bed at 0545 and suggested I kip on a chair, but I would be looking for a full refund/equivalent if they did, even though they provided a roof over my head all night)

BRX

Established Member
Bustitution is especially problematic at the moment given that some people may have chosen the sleeper as a low covid risk way to travel.

It's not impossible that there could be a scenario where a staff member stays away from work due to a positive covid test - but then all the sleeper passengers are put on a bus together, one of them actually is covid positive and the net result is more transmission.

island

Veteran Member
Are you referring to the famous Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act (1974) for purchases over £100?

This seems to have been around for a long time.
Chargebacks are quite a different beast and apply to debit card transactions as well as credit card transactions of any size. They are however more limited in scope:
  • A chargeback must be made within 120 days of the transaction date (this may be extended to 120 days after the goods or services were to be provided where this was not done straight away, though there is a long-stop of 540 days after the transaction date).
  • A chargeback can only claim up to the amount paid on the card in question.
  • The cardholder must raise their claim first with the merchant and allow the merchant the chance to deal with it
  • A chargeback will not cover consequential losses
  • A bank is not required to raise a chargeback if it reasonably believes the claim will not succeed

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Add that a chargeback will fail if there are no funds to charge back in the merchant's account. Whereas a Section 75 claim is against the credit card company, and must be paid, if entitled, whether they can reclaim the funds or not.

In all cases you'll be expected to exhaust all sensible means of resolution with the merchant first.

Falcon1200

Established Member
(No hotel has ever kicked me out of my bed at 0545 and suggested I kip on a chair, but I would be looking for a full refund/equivalent if they did, even though they provided a roof over my head all night)

As a matter of interest, what compensation do hotels offer their guests when the fire alarm goes off in the middle of the night and everyone has to rush outside in their dressing gowns ? Never happened to me, but there was a hotel just down the road from a former workplace where this was an occasional source of entertainment for the night shift.

najaB

Veteran Member
As a matter of interest, what compensation do hotels offer their guests when the fire alarm goes off in the middle of the night and everyone has to rush outside in their dressing gowns ? Never happened to me, but there was a hotel just down the road from a former workplace where this was an occasional source of entertainment for the night shift.
It hasn't happened to me either, but it did a couple of times to colleagues. Depending on the hotel it could be a discount on the charge (25% typically), extra points on the loyalty card, or nothing.

6Z09

None, but they let you back in to continue your slumber normally.
Happened on several occasions over the years, never received anything more than an apology.
Probably most were Holiday Inns.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I’ve had it happen once at an Ibis hotel and there was nothing other than a “sorry about the inconvenience” for the receptionist when I checked out the next day.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It happened to us in a B&B in Blackpool. They have us a free stay for the same number of guests and same number of nights, not valid in illuminations!

SteveM70

Established Member

Happened to me once, at the hotel at Haydock (Hilton? Thistle??). They gave us a voucher afterwards, I think it was for £20

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I've had it happen, Corby Hilton about 25 years ago. Just an apology.

Was about 6.00 a.m. on a late spring morning, just come daylight and very frosty.

Some of the sights were priceless!

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I'd personally take solace and comfort that the fire alarm system was fully functioning and seek nothing more.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd personally take solace and comfort that the fire alarm system was fully functioning and seek nothing more.

I think (as with CS) it depends. If the hotel was known to have a faulty fire alarm system then I'd be less happy than if it was a one off due to a guest lighting up on the bog.

With CS their failure to manage industrial relations properly is not something for which I will cut them any slack at all.

flitwickbeds

I think (as with CS) it depends. If the hotel was known to have a faulty fire alarm system then I'd be less happy than if it was a one off due to a guest lighting up on the bog.

With CS their failure to manage industrial relations properly is not something for which I will cut them any slack at all.
Presumably it also depends why you're staying. For leisure, not so bad. If you've an important court case in the morning, not so good.

najaB

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say so. A fire alarm caused by the actions of another resident is not the hotel's fault in any way and is just one of those things.
This where you get into one of those "Well, depends..." situations. If the guest was doing something that they shouldn't be doing - eg. smoking in a non-smoking room - then yes. But if the hotel has overly-sensitive smoke detectors which are regularly set off by people showering then that's on the hotel.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Delay woes this morning outside the control of Caledonian Sleeper

Highland sleeper lost nearly two hours at Carlisle, another 45 minutes at Haymarket and the Inverness portion is now three hours late.

Looks like infrastructure issues at Haymarket - NRE says
Lines have now reopened following urgent repairs to the railway between Edinburgh and Haymarket. However, whilst service recovers, trains may be cancelled, delayed or revised. This is expected until 09:00.

InOban

Established Member
How did the southbound service get past the block?
Now if the Sub had been wired......

Iskra

Established Member
Is there a carriage conveying seated passengers on the Fort William portion? Showing sold out on the website in October; or is this a Covid measure? Is it due to end anytime soon?

Looking to do Preston-Corrour on the sleeper to do a hike over to Dalwhinnie station, so just doing some advanced planning.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Is there a carriage conveying seated passengers on the Fort William portion? Showing sold out on the website in October; or is this a Covid measure? Is it due to end anytime soon?

Looking to do Preston-Corrour on the sleeper to do a hike over to Dalwhinnie station, so just doing some advanced planning.

Seating coach is fine for journeys originating outside Scotland but not for internal journeys as would have previously been the case on the West Highland line.

Highlandspring

Established Member
How did the southbound service get past the block?
Manual switching was done in the evening to allow some lines to be energised. An emergency possession and isolation of the whole of the Waverley and Haymarket was taken after the departure of 1M16 to allow repairs to be carried out and 1S25 was initially held at Carlisle, then at Haymarket East until it work was complete at about 0600. There’s still a bit of ScotRail disruption ongoing due to traincrew out of position compounding an existing traincrew shortage.

Killingworth

Established Member
Times Travel supplement today features 25 best bucket-list breaks.

No 1, Scotland on the overnighter. Apparently you get a decent haggis dinner on the UK's best train journey. 6 nights' b&b package from £1,745 including sleeper.

After seeing the train laid up in Fort William for the period of our visit last month, and reading this thread, it deserves some better publicity. However it seems the article may have been prepared some time ago!

InOban

Established Member
Manual switching was done in the evening to allow some lines to be energised. An emergency possession and isolation of the whole of the Waverley and Haymarket was taken after the departure of 1M16 to allow repairs to be carried out and 1S25 was initially held at Carlisle, then at Haymarket East until it work was complete at about 0600. There’s still a bit of ScotRail disruption ongoing due to traincrew out of position compounding an existing traincrew shortage.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

island

Veteran Member
Times Travel supplement today features 25 best bucket-list breaks.

No 1, Scotland on the overnighter. Apparently you get a decent haggis dinner on the UK's best train journey. 6 nights' b&b package from £1,745 including sleeper.

After seeing the train laid up in Fort William for the period of our visit last month, and reading this thread, it deserves some better publicity. However it seems the article may have been prepared some time ago!
“For the price of it you’d expect Hercule Poirot to make an appearance” :E

crablab

The chargeback scheme applies to debit cards and is only a few years old I think. It has different rules to S75.
Chargeback applies to most card scheme payments - including credit cards.

Indeed, the first step in recovery for a credited S75 claim is usually via chargeback.

As a chargeback is a purely contractual process within the card scheme, it does not preclude legal action.

Add that a chargeback will fail if there are no funds to charge back in the merchant's account
Not the case - the acquirer would be liable, and then the card network (who will both hold funds in escrow).

It's why, for example with Thomas Cook, acquirers started holding larger and larger amounts back, so that if Thomas Cook went under they could pay the chargebacks (damage limitation).

• A chargeback must be made within 120 days of the transaction date (this may be extended to 120 days after the goods or services were to be provided where this was not done straight away, though there is a long-stop of 540 days after the transaction date).
  • A chargeback can only claim up to the amount paid on the card in question.
  • The cardholder must raise their claim first with the merchant and allow the merchant the chance to deal with it
  • A chargeback will not cover consequential losses
  • A bank is not required to raise a chargeback if it reasonably believes the claim will not succeed

Correct, except for the last point. There is no requirement to raise a chargeback.

However, the FOS expect the firm to provide a "good" explanation if it chooses not to do so. There are cases where the FOS disagree with the firm over the decision not to raise a chargeback (if I might be so bold as to suggest, because the FOS investigator has a minor misapprehension of the chargeback rules), however there isn't a whole lot they can do.