• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
I've yet to experience the Caldonian sleeper which on my bucket list post pandemic.

I've been on the Night Reviera sleeper which very interesting and I particularly enjoyed the Liverpool to London sleeper service which no longer exist,

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Um yes well true.

I can see a few people booking one way tickets - mine would be to somewhere warmer than North though !.

I just got thinking. Is anyone doing package tours/holidays starting and finishing at London Euston and using the sleeper ?. Around Asia I used to use a company that organised backpacking holidays with a guide. About 12 people - good way to meet people. The guide meant it was like doing your own travel but without the faff and time waste of researching and booking local trips. Used ordinary public transport.

For the Caledonian sleeper the lounge would be a good way to get to know the rest of your group then be with them for walking and sightseeing all over Scotland. It would be better than an all inclusive coach tour that wafts tourists around without them really touching the locals and their way of life.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It would be better than an all inclusive coach tour that wafts tourists around without them really touching the locals and their way of life.

I’m not sure it would be much of a package tour to Scotland without a coach available when you got there. Otherwise you’d be pretty limited as to where you can go, where you can stay, what you can see, and at what times.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I've recently booked just such a package tour. Walking the Great Glen Way - the package covers accommodation and luggage transfer.

Fair enough - I’ve seen packages for the walk but not that include the sleeper to get there - is it sleeper both ends?

And how long is the walk expected to take (if you don’t mind me asking?!)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Fair enough - I’ve seen packages for the walk but not that include the sleeper to get there - is it sleeper both ends?

And how long is the walk expected to take (if you don’t mind me asking?!)
No-the package doesn't include the sleeper: we had to book that separately Seven days walking, but the company (Alpine Exploratory) will do other options if you want to do longer days.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I’m not sure it would be much of a package tour to Scotland without a coach available when you got there. Otherwise you’d be pretty limited as to where you can go, where you can stay, what you can see, and at what times.
True - I suppose it is going to be some serious walking distances in the case of the highlands. What I was thinking of was more around towns - only really Edinburgh is enough for a few days, maybe a bit of Glasgow (ignorance alert).
No-the package doesn't include the sleeper: we had to book that separately Seven days walking, but the company (Alpine Exploratory) will do other options if you want to do longer days.
Well at least that is an opportunity for the sleeper then.

paul1609

Established Member
True - I suppose it is going to be some serious walking distances in the case of the highlands. What I was thinking of was more around towns - only really Edinburgh is enough for a few days, maybe a bit of Glasgow (ignorance alert).

Well at least that is an opportunity for the sleeper then.
In my opinion if you need to have a one centre holiday in Scotland, Glasgows a better centre than Edinburgh its got enough museums Riverside, Kelvingrove etc for the wet days and theres day outs galore Edinburgh, Stirling, Falkirk Wheel Bo'ness, Loch Lomond, Clyde, Arran all easily accessible. Accommodation is often cheaper as well.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
In my opinion if you need to have a one centre holiday in Scotland, Glasgows a better centre than Edinburgh its got enough museums Riverside, Kelvingrove etc for the wet days and theres day outs galore Edinburgh, Stirling, Falkirk Wheel Bo'ness, Loch Lomond, Clyde, Arran all easily accessible. Accommodation is often cheaper as well.
Wet days, surely not !.

trebor79

Established Member
Some excellent eateries in Glasgow. Rogano for fishy fine dining, The Wee Curry Shop for an authentic curry and Martha's for a very good fast food version of Wagamama.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Some excellent eateries in Glasgow. Rogano for fishy fine dining, The Wee Curry Shop for an authentic curry and Martha's for a very good fast food version of Wagamama.

Mother India for curries - the best in Glasgow.

Established Member
Anyone know if the sleeper stopping at Crewe tonight or straight through?

TimboM

Established Member
Anyone know if the sleeper stopping at Crewe tonight or straight through?
Not stopping at Crewe is an operational decision made late on sometime between 20:00 (when bookings close) right up to when 1S25 has already been sat at Crewe South Junction waiting for 20 minutes for the pesky TfW units to get out of Platform 6.

Going non-stop through Crewe (or Preston for that matter) requires liaison/agreement between GBRf, Caledonian Sleeper and Network Rail controls and communication of the change of plan to the driver and Train Manager. Even then, it needs the local signaler to be in a position that they can signal it straight through when the time comes.

Of course if there's already a passenger booked from Crewe and/or a crew change required it can be confirmed in advance that it'll be stopping as planned, but for the above reasons it's not really possible to 100% confirm in advance it definitely won't stop.

Last edited:

Established Member
Not stopping at Crewe is an operational decision made late on sometime between 20:00 (when bookings close) right up to when 1S25 has already been sat at Crewe South Junction waiting for 20 minutes for the pesky TfW units to get out of Platform 6.

Going non-stop through Crewe (or Preston for that matter) requires liaison/agreement between GBRf, Caledonian Sleeper and Network Rail controls and communication of the change of plan to the driver and Train Manager. Even then, it needs the local signaler to be in a position that they can signal it straight through when the time comes.

Of course if there's already a passenger booked from Crewe and/or a crew change required it can be confirmed in advance that it'll be stopping as planned, but for the above reasons it's not really possible to 100% confirm in advance it definitely won't stop.
Thanks Timbo

zero

Is there an easier way to find out when the CS will use a diversionary route (and what the route will be) other than looking up every date on RTT?

Is it usually only diverted on Sunday night/Monday morning?

TimboM

Established Member
Is there an easier way to find out when the CS will use a diversionary route (and what the route will be) other than looking up every date on RTT?

Is it usually only diverted on Sunday night/Monday morning?
Check the service alterations page on the Sleeper.Scot website (link below) as that lists the up-coming changes to schedules - it'll usually say which services are being diverted and you can then work out where (broadly) due to it saying which stations the service isn't calling at (e.g. if Watford, Crewe and/or Preston missing, then that's a big clue it's going via ECML). And/or check RTT for those dates the website is reporting diversions for.

Service Alterations | Caledonian Sleeper

zero

Check the service alterations page on the Sleeper.Scot website (link below) as that lists the up-coming changes to schedules - it'll usually say which services are being diverted and you can then work out where (broadly) due to it saying which stations the service isn't calling at (e.g. if Watford, Crewe and/or Preston missing, then that's a big clue it's going via ECML). And/or check RTT for those dates the website is reporting diversions for.

Service Alterations | Caledonian Sleeper

Thanks I didn't think of that, I do want to do CS via ECML this summer and there appear to be plenty of dates

But what I really wanted to know is when it may go via Birmingham, or more specifically Perry Barr and Portobello. RTT says it is going this way northbound on 7 June at 1am but for some reason the southbound is ECML... I noticed it took this route southbound at least once last June (at 4am, when you can actually see outside) however obviously it seemed like a frivolous reason to travel then.

TimboM

Established Member
Thanks I didn't think of that, I do want to do CS via ECML this summer and there appear to be plenty of dates

But what I really wanted to know is when it may go via Birmingham, or more specifically Perry Barr and Portobello. RTT says it is going this way northbound on 7 June at 1am but for some reason the southbound is ECML... I noticed it took this route southbound at least once last June (at 4am, when you can actually see outside) however obviously it seemed like a frivolous reason to travel then.
That night it's (unusually) split with northbounds via WCML and southbounds via ECML.

Stan_Butler

There was a CS Loco and four coaches running through Hamilton Central eastbound at around 12:05 today. Anyone any idea why? Cheers.

6Z09

There was a CS Loco and four coaches running through Hamilton Central eastbound at around 12:05 today. Anyone any idea why? Cheers.
Hamilton circle is sometimes used to "Turn" trains so as coaches are the "right way round" for train formations .

williamn

I see that the Railway Gazette is reporting that the full timetable resumes from 29 April - tomorrow!

Scotrail84

Established Member
I see that the Railway Gazette is reporting that the full timetable resumes from 29 April - tomorrow!

Yes, certain restrictions apply though, such as seats on each service limited to a capacity of 10 passengers with no exception to that rule and services are pick up or set down only, ie - no day passengers on either the Inverness service from Kingussie to Inverness or in either direction on the Fort William service. The consumption of alcohol in the seats is now banned indefinitely and face coverings to be worn even when sleeping. No lounge car and an extremely limited menu for room service. A full list of restrictions is on their website I believe.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, certain restrictions apply though, such as seats on each service limited to a capacity of 10 passengers with no exception to that rule and services are pick up or set down only, ie - no day passengers on either the Inverness service from Kingussie to Inverness or in either direction on the Fort William service. The consumption of alcohol in the seats is now banned indefinitely and face coverings to be worn even when sleeping. No lounge car and an extremely limited menu for room service. A full list of restrictions is on their website I believe.

Is this a wind up ?

Get me BA on the phone !!

The Night Riviera seems to get by without such draconian measures.

The Planner

Veteran Member

There will be some weekends in August and early next year when they should be going via the West Mids.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is this a wind up ?

The Night Riviera has two (well, 1.8) seated coaches on which there are usually about two passengers (OK, maybe 10 at most). Tons of space to spread out. The CS coach is only half a coach.

Masks are required in the seated coach on the Riviera, same as a day train.

The Riviera doesn't now provide any day train services because of the slamdoor issue.

That just leaves the drink, for which you can blame Sturgeon - it's Scottish law at present.

Journeyman

Established Member
Is this a wind up ?

Yeah, as stated above, this isn't actually CS's fault, and I'm sure they're extremely unhappy about it.

Butts

Veteran Member
The Night Riviera has two (well, 1.8) seated coaches on which there are usually about two passengers (OK, maybe 10 at most). Tons of space to spread out. The CS coach is only half a coach.

Masks are required in the seated coach on the Riviera, same as a day train.

The Riviera doesn't now provide any day train services because of the slamdoor issue.

That just leaves the drink, for which you can blame Sturgeon - it's Scottish law at present.

So is it dry both sides of the border ?