• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a child travel on an ADULT ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 027

I'm trying to redeem East Coast Rewards for return tickets from Kings Cross to York for myself and the family via the EC website. If I state 2 adults and 2 children the price comes up as £40, but if I state 4 adults the price drops to zero.

The children are both infant school age but is there anything in the regulations to say they can't travel on an adult ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
is there anything in the regulations to say they can't travel on an adult ticket?
I agree with yorkie that there is nothing to prevent child travelling on an adult ticket.
The children are both infant school age
If a child is aged 5 - 15, your plan to get an adult ticket is probably the best way to use East Coast Rewards points. If a child is under 5 there is no need for a ticket at all.

Roylang

I wish everybody saw the purchasing of tickets for children so clearly. I once bought a child ticket for my then three year old son and used a friends and family railcard. Two reasons for this, firstly it was cheaper and secondly having a three year old wriggle and fidget on your lap on a long journey is not fun. The train we were catching was normally full and I wanted him to have his own seat.

No problem at the ticket office but the guard (SWT) was having none of it and threatened to call the police, I was astounded. Eventually he let it go, telling me "not to try it on again".

Roy

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Roy, what would the police have done exactly? is it an offence for an under 5 to pay?

robbob700

The family and friends railcard conditions state

"If the only child in the Family & Friends Railcard group is aged less than five years of age, the Railcard holder must purchase a discounted ticket for that child in order for the accompanying adult(s) to qualify for the discount on their tickets."

so the SWT guard was wrong.

Roylang

Roy, what would the police have done exactly? is it an offence for an under 5 to pay?

As said by Robbob700 it is no offence, the guard would have ended up looking very silly. The main problem is that threats of police involvement are very frightening for a three year old. I was stunned by the attitude, it is always said that to guarantee a seat for an under five year old you must buy a ticket.

I have wondered if the guard just wanted to me to say sorry and pay him more money. Was he just hoping I would just roll over and accept what he stated as being fact?

Roy

richw

Veteran Member
I have wondered if the guard just wanted to me to say sorry and pay him more money. ?

Roy

How would he of intended to excess a fare of a monetary value, to a zero cost fare? could of been interested

Roylang

How would he of intended to excess a fare of a monetary value, to a zero cost fare? could of been interested

Not sure, but the cost an adult ticket without the Family and Friends railcard was more than the total cost I had paid for two tickets with it. Would he therefore not be excessing it but claiming I had no valid ticket?

Thankfully it did not get to the point where I could tell exactly what he was trying to do. He just kept telling me that I should not have bought my son a ticket as he was under five and, therefore, should not have used the railcard. I argued back that I was perfectly entitled to buy a child ticket and, therefore, use the railcard as I had a child with me. No way was I going to shift from that position!

Roy

embers25

Established Member
"so the SWT guard was wrong"

Surely not SWT guards are never wrong!!!!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's not helped by the fact that on most of the F&F publicity it states that you must be travelling in a group with at least one child aged 5-15. The ability to buy a ticket for an under 5 to be eligible can be quite hidden away. I remember when I bought a F&F Railcard a few months ago I found it quite contradictory and had to re-read the small print to check that it's valid. Of course, staff should know the validity of a national Railcard!

This seems to have changed recently as the F&F website now clearly states that it's valid with an under 5, providing you buy a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.