• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can Greater Anglia issue a penalty fare through their mobile app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark91

Hello all,

I was advised that this may be a good place to post a query I have about a potential penalty fare/unpaid ticket notice. Hopefully someone can help me clarify the situation and put my mind at ease.

I was on a cycle this morning when I picked up an injury. As I was quite far from my home in South London I decided to go back by train from Tottenham Hale. I didn't have my wallet with me but I did have my phone which had the Greater Anglia app on it, with my card details saved from an earlier journey. There was a train just approaching so I quickly went through the app to see the next train 'unavailable' for booking. As I was buying an Anytime Day Single I just clicked the next train, activated the ticket and got on. So far, so good! I got to Liverpool Street and a ticket inspector scanned my phone. He then asked when did I buy this ticket. I said just before this train departed. He then asked where I got on. I replied Tottenham Hale. He then asked where I lived. I replied Hither Green, SE London. He then let me through the barrier and on my way, and that was the end of the whole encounter.

Following this I began to think to myself whether the inspector thought I was up to something. I have now got myself worked up that I will get a penalty fare through the post, or a letter demanding money! The reason I think that is that because I used the Greater Anglia app they must have access to my personal details, so presumably they know my address/email and could just send something through. I am hoping I am worrying about nothing, but like I say, I am now worried!

I have had a trawl around on the internet looking at regulations, but I can't find any definitive answers to my question. So what I would like to ask the knowledgeable bunch here on this forum is:

• Can Greater Anglia issue a penalty fare/unpaid ticket notice to your address/email based on the information they hold on their app/booking system?
  • Does a penalty fare/unpaid ticket notice have to be issued on the spot at the station, or can it be issued retrospectively?
  • Am I worrying over absolutely nothing and wasting everyone's time?
I apologise if this seems a bit like an overreaction but it is on my mind and was hoping that someone on here could put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You have nothing to worry about. For future reference, if you have the ability to pay with contactless on your phone then that would almost certainly be cheaper than an anytime single.

For anyone finding this thread later, a penalty fare can only be issued at the time, not retrospectively.

Mark91

Thank you both for your very quick replies! It is much appreciated. Hopefully I can now sleep easy tonight.

So I assume if this particular inspector had any concerns he would have to address them there and then with some appropriate documentation?

Ideally I would have used contactless on my phone but I hadn’t set it up in advance so the only viable option was to use an Advance Day Single and pay the extra. A learning point for next time!

I was just worried that they could use the data from the app to send a notice through.

Thanks again for your help. I hope it wasn’t a stupid question!

island

Veteran Member
No, it’s not a stupid question, and you’re definitely in the clear.

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, you do not need to set anything up to pay for a train journey by contactless – you do need to add the card to your phone’s wallet app but that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.