• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I claim delay repay on a Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Currently on holiday in Cornwall with a 8-in-15 Freedom of Devon & Cornwall Rover. Have had lots of fairly insignificant delays, but today I took a day trip to Newquay, intending to catch the 1719 back to Par (I’m staying in Truro), except it was cancelled at short notice due to “staffing issues”, and the next one is 1922, meaning I will get back two hours later than planned.

Just wondered how I would go about claiming for the delay, given it’s not an individual ticket for the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Currently on holiday in Cornwall with a 8-in-15 Freedom of Devon & Cornwall Rover. Have had lots of fairly insignificant delays, but today I took a day trip to Newquay, intending to catch the 1719 back to Par (I’m staying in Truro), except it was cancelled at short notice due to “staffing issues”, and the next one is 1922, meaning I will get back two hours later than planned.

Just wondered how I would go about claiming for the delay, given it’s not an individual ticket for the journey.
Done it with a Southern DaySave exactly as with a normal ticket. Although probably not relevant as a very long time ago, I once had cause to claim from FGW for a three hour delay when travelling on a Week’s Eurail ticket issued in Germany. As it was a peak journey from Bristol to London, it paid for about 70% of the cost of the whole week’s ticket!

trainophile

Established Member
It gets worse, the Penzance train that I should have connected on is also now cancelled. Be lucky if I get back to my hotel by 10:30, should have been 6:37. Very annoyed now, and apparently there are no facilities and no town in Par :( .

Haywain

Veteran Member
There’s a bus to St Austell at 2012. From Eastcliff Road, 3 minutes walk from Par station.

ABB125

Established Member
It gets worse, the Penzance train that I should have connected on is also now cancelled. Be lucky if I get back to my hotel by 10:30, should have been 6:37. Very annoyed now, and apparently there are no facilities and no town in Par :( .
It could be worse: you could have needed to take that cancelled Penzance train to PNZ to connect onto the sleeper to London, on an advance sleeper ticket! Hopefully I'll catch it at Truro...

I don't really think that it's worth me claiming any compensation on a £8.90 Cornwall Day Ranger!

Edit: does that mean you're on the same train as me? The guard has just walked through asking if anyone is connecting for St Ives. 802019 802021 due at Truro around 2215 (now closer to 2220)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

You can still claim - your claim is effectively taken 'on trust'.

The amount of compensation you'll be offered will vary; sometimes you'll be given compensation based on the cost of a walkup ticket for the journey you made.

Other times it will be based on considering the daily value of your ticket and then treating that as a return.

The NRCoT and Passenger's Charters don't say how to treat rangers or rovers so it's a bit of pot luck!

Blinkbonny

Yes I recently had a 4 in 8 Explore South Wales Rover.

Travelled all over for three days without any serious delays, came home and still had a day left. Used it to travel down from Shrewsbury to Craven Arms to visit the Museum of Lost Content (recommended!) which is barely a twenty minute journey - and sure enough I was delayed for over half an hour on return!

I claimed, more or less just to see what would happen - though I didn't appreciate forty minutes standing on a seat-less, shade-less Craven Arms platform on a baking hot day!

TFW were scrupulously fair. They divided my 4 Day Rover by four and paid out on that journey as a single entity.

Such is the value of these Rovers that it still didn't amount to very much - but I was impressed.

trainophile

Established Member
It could be worse: you could have needed to take that cancelled Penzance train to PNZ to connect onto the sleeper to London, on an advance sleeper ticket! Hopefully I'll catch it at Truro...

I don't really think that it's worth me claiming any compensation on a £8.90 Cornwall Day Ranger!

Edit: does that mean you're on the same train as me? The guard has just walked through asking if anyone is connecting for St Ives. 802019 802021 due at Truro around 2215 (now closer to 2220)
Yes I was! I didn’t check this thread again as I was fully occupied repeatedly checking RTT for the progress of the 2121 (eventual time 2150-something) and praying it wasn’t terminated at Plymouth as it was half an hour late due to making extra stops because of the previous cancellation.

I made a snap decision which turned out for the best and jumped on the 2018 Bristol TM to Liskeard, where I only had about an hour to wait instead of over two at Par. I walked up towards the Liskeard town and sat in a little park for half an hour, which was quite pleasant in the comparative cool of the evening.

Got chatting to a guard off the Looe line when I returned to the station, and he said that most of the cancellations are due to staff being pinged on the NHS app and having to self-isolate. This clearly can’t go on, there were many cancellations in all directions yesterday.

So if you (@ABB125) saw a bedraggled woman “of a certain age” in rolled-up grey trousers and a light coffee coloured teeshirt, with a black and red backpack that was me!

Finally got to my hotel just after 10:30, had two yoghurts out of the fridge in my room for supper, and crashed out.

Now on my way back to Paignton for the last two days of my hols, hopefully uneventful!

SeanG

Yes, you can - I was delayed on a Ffestiniog round robin between Shrewsbury and Crewe and I managed to claim the full amount from TfW. However, I was unable to use their website to do this automatically and so had to email directly (as a side note I stated in the email exchange that this was an additional inconvenience and received a £10 RTV as a gesture of goodwill - they told me they would update the website but not sure if this has been done).

trainophile

Established Member
I wonder if the various TOCs have different ways of handling this situation. I will have a go with GWR and report back.

Spoke too soon re. uneventful… points problem between Newton Abbot and Paignton now. Hopefully will be sorted in time for my 1205.

ABB125

Established Member
So if you (@ABB125) saw a bedraggled woman “of a certain age” in rolled-up grey trousers and a light coffee coloured teeshirt, with a black and red backpack that was me!
I don't specifically recall seeing someone with that description, but it's certainly likely that at some point I saw you/you saw me, just unknowingly!

Anyway, I think I might have a go at claiming some delay repay, and see what happens...

trainophile

Established Member
Nothing to lose by trying. Some RTVs would be perfectly acceptable!

Continuing saga, points problem fixed but 1205 NTA-PGN cancelled due to staff shortage. 1229 currently running but no doubt rammed.

Do they get full pay when they are off due to self-isolating?

Haywain

Veteran Member
One would hope so - they are acting in the best interests of their colleagues, customers and the wider population. Do you resent that?

WesternLancer

Established Member
I would (but my job, not in rail, can be done from home so I would be working unless actually developed symptoms and felt ill such that I was unable to work)
Makes you think - I suspect that if you find a well staffed physical customer facing operation in the current 'pingdemic' it probably means the staff don't get paid, or fully paid if they have to self isolate.... so if you want to reduce your risk of getting covid, in theory such places might be best avoided!

trainophile

Established Member
One would hope so - they are acting in the best interests of their colleagues, customers and the wider population. Do you resent that?

What makes you think I would resent it? It was just a question out of interest.

So, according to GWR journey check, this evening all trains between Par and Newquay have been cancelled, with road replacement between Newquay and St Austell.

Counting my blessings now, thank goodness I didn’t go today!

trainophile

Established Member
It was a question, hence the question mark.
I will let it go but it does seem to have been a question with inferences.

Just to complete the saga, I did a really stupid thing on the last night of my Rover validity as I was packing everything up for my return home - I only chucked the tickets in the bin in my hotel room :rolleyes: . Kicking myself now, as I'll never know whether a claim might have got me something back, and how much it would have been.

Oh well, I'm just relieved it wasn't the next day, as there were no trains between Par and Newquay in either direction at all after the 1510 PAR-NQY, buses were apparently the order of the (very hot and sticky) day.

Last edited:

SouthStand

I will let it go but it does seem to have been a question with inferences.

Just to complete the saga, I did a really stupid thing on the last night of my Rover validity as I was packing everything up for my return home - I only chucked the tickets in the bin in my hotel room :rolleyes: . Kicking myself now, as I'll never know whether a claim might have got me something back, and how much it would have been.

Oh well, I'm just relieved it wasn't the next day, as there were no trains between Par and Newquay in either direction at all after the 1510 PAR-NQY, buses were apparently the order of the (very hot and sticky) day.

It almost certainly was, I agree. Shame you threw your tickets away though.

Super Hans

GWR divide it by number of days it's valid for i.e. 4 in 8 at £100 for example would be 4 X £25 then that £25 would be treated as a daily travel card.

Status
Not open for further replies.