• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I film onboard c2c trains to be subsequently uploaded on Youtube (without monetisation)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I've just been taking a look at the c2c website and it says the following:

While we welcome travelling customers taking the occasional picture for their private use, any filming or photography which is for publication, professional or commercial purposes requires permission in advance from c2c.

Link: https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/media-centre/filming-conditions-policy/

Does this apply to enthusiasts who film onboard journeys as well?

If the answer is yes, shall I get permission from c2c before I film full train journeys (out on the window) on their network?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

357 LTSRail

As far as i’m aware, you would not need to do this. If you are looking to sell your footage or somehow monetise it, then maybe but for an enthusiast you are fine to film. I believe they really only have these policies for film, advert or tv production companies to gain permission (and almost certainly so the TOC can charge them for it!)

In all honesty however, you almost certainly won’t come across any member of c2c staff on one of their services. In the unlikely event you do, they’re not going to do anything (at worst they could ask you to stop). I’ve filmed on the railway all over the UK and never ever questioned myself nor been told to stop for these reasons.

The only thing i would be wary of is that the TOC operates in London and Essex - both regions in Tier 4 lockdown at the moment and i wouldn’t consider filming essential travel!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
As far as i’m aware, you would not need to do this. If you are looking to sell your footage or somehow monetise it, then maybe but for an enthusiast you are fine to film. I believe they really only have these policies for film, advert or tv production companies to gain permission (and almost certainly so the TOC can charge them for it!)

In all honesty however, you almost certainly won’t come across any member of c2c staff on one of their services. In the unlikely event you do, they’re not going to do anything (at worst they could ask you to stop). I’ve filmed on the railway all over the UK and never ever questioned myself nor been told to stop for these reasons.

The only thing i would be wary of is that the TOC operates in London and Essex - both regions in Tier 4 lockdown at the moment and i wouldn’t consider filming essential travel!

You have a good point. I did have that sort of feeling.

Also, 7-8 years ago I did a couple of c2c videos (onboard the class 357s), and I had no problem whatsoever. However, I came across this notice I quoted in the first post above, so I thought I'd set up this thread.

As for Tier 4, I'm actually not going to Essex until next year anyway. I'm just sticking to West and East Sussex (both are my local areas) for now. Luckily where I live we're not in Tier 4.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Just to be on the safe side of course (even though I appreciate your opinion), I've sent an email to c2c to have clarification on this matter.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would advise you to avoid including people who could be identified in your films - unless you get their prior permission. So - backs of heads of people in the distance should be OK. Close views of faces - no, not unless they agree.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I would advise you to avoid including people who could be identified in your films - unless you get their prior permission. So - backs of heads of people in the distance should be OK. Close views of faces - no, not unless they agree.

I don't film people's faces anyway, so that doesn't concern me.

And also, I will be filming on the window to get the scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.