• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelled train - who refunds? (Dispute with retailer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am Broc

Hi all,

I have a trip booked tomorrow from Penzance to Glasgow which includes one Anytime ticket and two Advance tickets and which has now been cancelled.

I ordered the tixx via Splitmyfare. They sent me a email on Friday saying that the trains have been cancelled and to contact them (well, rather to contact RailEasy - they must be a subsidiary of RailEasy or piggy back on to them of something) to arrange a refund if I can no longer travel.

I emailed them to ask to arrange a refund but they say that I have to claim this from the TOCs rather than themselves. This does not ring true to me at all. I've contacted the TOCs (GWR help and AvantiWest coast) and Aventi have already confirmed that the retailer would be responsible for refunding. I fully expect GWR to say the same thing.

I've already collected the tickets which probably complicates things.

As the tickets are for tomorrow morning and I have £200 odd quid resting on this, I'm getting a bit worried. Does anybody have any advice to get Splitmyfare to pay up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

Alasdair

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Assuming you no longer wish to make the journey, the refund request needs to go to Raileasy.

If you do wish to make the journey, and you end up being delayed as a result of the cancellation, a Delay Repay claim would go to the company whose cancellation caused the delay.

For example if you do travel and the cancellation results in a delay of 60 minutes or more, compensation would be to the value of 100% of the cost of the single journey from Penzance through to Glasgow. If you can divlulge your itinerary to us, we can calculate the likely amount of delay compensation for you.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
It's general law that if some product or service is not provided, is defective, or whatever, you get the money back from whoever you paid it to. This is entirely to avoid you getting the runaround between organisations. Your refund should come from whoever you paid money to.

If the actual service provider has systems or customer experience in place to do it as well, so be it, that's an extra. But anyone in business as an agent should have procedures to do refunds as well, compliant with the law, and the service provider should have ensured this was in place at their agent.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I ordered the tixx via Splitmyfare. They sent me a email on Friday saying that the trains have been cancelled and to contact them (well, rather to contact RailEasy - they must be a subsidiary of RailEasy or piggy back on to them of something) to arrange a refund if I can no longer travel.

I emailed them to ask to arrange a refund but they say that I have to claim this from the TOCs rather than themselves. This does not ring true to me at all. I've contacted the TOCs (GWR help and AvantiWest coast) and Aventi have already confirmed that the retailer would be responsible for refunding. I fully expect GWR to say the same thing.
Given that they asked you to contact them to arrange a refund, and then sent you to someone else, this sounds like a cockup rather than anything else. Try emailing Splitmyticket again, enclosing copies of all correspondence so far (their invitation to contact them, and their subsequent direction to contact someone else instead) and ask them for your money back again as (essentially) promised in the first email.

If that doesn't resolve the mess, then that's the time to start asserting your rights.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
If the trains have been cancelled (or delayed) you are entitled to a full refund. Customer services may not have understood the reason you're claiming a refund. Everyone should be clear that a refund is payable in this situation. Try once more, explaining the situation and if you have any more trouble send me a message and I'll make sure the right people are given a nudge.

Am Broc

Thanks all!

Great advice.

In the end Splitmyticket kept on asserting that the TOC should pay, however RailEasy got back to me and said they'd give me a full refund. Very strange!

Alasdair

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I will ensure that SMF customer services are properly aware of customer's rights for refunds in these circumstances. By the way, if you'd used the refunds app (refunds.trainsplit.com) it should have smoothed the process for you. And refunds for cancelled/delayed trains and unused tickets will be part of that soon as well (we'll look the journey up and offer a refund if the tickets were unused/not printed - but if already printed you'll still need to email them through).

Haywain

Veteran Member
And refunds for cancelled/delayed trains and unused tickets will be part of that soon as well (we'll look the journey up and offer a refund if the tickets were unused/not printed - but if already printed you'll still need to email them through).
Out of interest, will you apply that for eTickets?

sheff1

Established Member
The splitmyfare website is incorrect regarding refunds, although is correct regarding a refund of an unused Advance if there is a cancellation.

" If you are looking to cancel your booking, all flexible tickets are refundable, however you can only get refunds on fixed/advance tickets due to medical reasons, or if you experienced cancellations on your journey. In this case, we can process a refund if the tickets are unused ; otherwise, you will need to contact the Train Operating Company you travelled with." (my bold)

If a site is showing incorrect info upfront it is not really a surprise when they can't even do what they say they will do without hassle.

alistairlees

Established Member
Three organisations - Split My Fare, TrainSplit and Raileasy - are mentioned in this thread by various contributors. Which one has the OP purchased from (i.e. entered into a contract with), and what is the relationship between that one and the other two? I am fairly confused!

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Out of interest, will you apply that for eTickets?

Yes

The splitmyfare website is incorrect regarding refunds, although is correct regarding a refund of an unused Advance if there is a cancellation.

I have flagged this up to them

Three organisations - Split My Fare, TrainSplit and Raileasy - are mentioned in this thread by various contributors. Which one has the OP purchased from (i.e. entered into a contract with), and what is the relationship between that one and the other two? I am fairly confused!

Raileasy are the third party licence holder and sell the tickets. Any transaction is through them, and any web site should make it clear. TrainSplit and SplitMyFare are effectively affiliates, delivering their own front-ends to use the core API. If the OP purchased their tickets using SplitMyFare, it will have been fulfilled by Raileasy, hence why they can issue the refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.