• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car mileages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aar0

I would absolutely never want a large modern SUV with 100k+ miles on the clock that was not Japanese. Especially a JLR product which are appalling for longevity.
My 198k car is a Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5, though it has had a few common faults that I imagine Honda would have sorted at the design stage.

The disco 1 was sold as a Honda in some countries...

83A

I have a Mini Clubman with the BMW 1.6D engine fitted. 155k and no issues whatsoever. There is a small “judder” on the clutch now but that aside it runs great.

previous car was a SAAB 93 1.9D. Sold that with nearly 200K on the clock.

Modern cars are very good as long as you service them and drive with mechanical sympathy.

bramling

Veteran Member
Modern cars are very good as long as you service them and drive with mechanical sympathy.

Yes it surprises me how some people seem to be getting quite poor mileages out of their cars. Then again, seeing how some people drive, and how some people don't service their cars regularly, perhaps this isn't surprising.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes it surprises me how some people seem to be getting quite poor mileages out of their cars. Then again, seeing how some people drive, and how some people don't service their cars regularly, perhaps this isn't surprising.

I guess some of it depends on the nature of where you drive. I used to live on an estate with very harsh road calming features (essentially speed tables made from block paving with the ramp in being one block at 45 degrees), and almost everyone on our road without SUVs needed new front suspension after 4-5 years. I always wonder if people from MK have higher brake wear because of all the roundabouts.

bramling

Veteran Member
I guess some of it depends on the nature of where you drive. I used to live on an estate with very harsh road calming features (essentially speed tables made from block paving with the ramp in being one block at 45 degrees), and almost everyone on our road without SUVs needed new front suspension after 4-5 years. I always wonder if people from MK have higher brake wear because of all the roundabouts.

Not sure about brake wear, but it was always said that Stevenage produces uneven tyre wear due to the roundabouts, and in particular the way many people tear round them.

On a similar note, I remember a few years taking my old BMW into a garage in Barmouth to investigate a noise which was bugging me, and which I wanted checked out before the long drive home. The difference with south-east garages was quite conspicuous in that they gave the car a really thorough looking over, including taking me down into the pit. The first comment was “obviously not from round here, as your underside isn’t corroded to pieces”. There was a genuine enthusiasm and helpfulness which is often absent from the London area - my own local garage excepted! Having the “right” garage is one way to keep a high-mileage car going.

peteb

Since the 80s our family shared cars putting big mileages on various volvo 240s, mostly over 200k, and sold on, not for scrap. Also memorable was a B reg VW polo we had from new and did 200k before sold on, and a K reg polo did 150k from new before that was sold on, and a K reg VW vento did 150k, but that rusted badly so went for scrap! Always used local garages to service cars, seemed to keep them going longer than main dealers!

Status
Not open for further replies.