• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car travel being cheaper than train travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
People here are skilled at getting good value. "Normal" passengers are often ripped off due to the absence of that skill.
A lot of the time, it doesn't even take skill. Just the forethought to purchase tickets in advance; perhaps even the evening before, as I do for 30 minute journeys.

On the other hand, I'll concede that the fares system can be intimidating, but that's where third party services such as Trainline come in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
My car does ~55mpg so it sets a very high bar for the train to even come close when it comes to price - and I have to pay for my miles too as I'm on a telematics insurance policy. When I'm solo the train will normally win purely because a. I like travelling by train, b. I have a railcard and c. I can invariably bring the 'headline' fare down through loopholes or split tickets. When it's me with some friends - the car will almost always win. Even when going to football or gigs, where being able to have a pint or three has a high value, the price differential is wide enough that I will sacrifice that and drive instead.

There's not really any way rail can win when it comes to groups of people. Better GroupSave ability or a railcard for groups (with a better discount than 34%) would be a start though.

TravelDream

There's one really important thing that the opening poster seems to have forgotten. A lot of the costs of a car are sunk costs (or as close as).
My insurance doesn't vary if I take an extra leisure trip. My MOT cost doesn't. The depreciation rate for a few extra miles is basically zero. The cost of servicing, tires, cam belts are pretty marginal in the grand scheme of things mile for mile.
I am not saying these are insignificant costs. The capital costs of a car can be huge and servicing and repair is hardly cheap. But once you have the car, you don't take these costs into your assumptions for every individual trip.

So then you just have the core costs. Fuel, parking and any tolls/ congestion charges.

In Britain, the train can very rarely, if ever, compete with these even when someone is traveling alone. If there's a group of you, the car will win by a country mile.

Then you have the huge factor of convenience. With the car, I can leave when I want. I can go on a detour. I can visit a pub on the way home etc. With a train, I have little convenience. If I have bought an advance, I am trapped on the trains I specifically booked. Oh, and I lose the money if I book a day at Brighton and there's torrential rain and a storm force gale. A more flexible ticket means more cost. What if I am taking luggage with me? On the train I have to carry heavy bags around hoping there's space on the train to store them and hoping that place is in my constant sight for safety. Yes, a train might be more 'relaxing', but it might not be.

This isn't true for all countries. I was in Poland recently. A train ticket from Krakow in Poland to Warsaw can be had for 60 zloty which is about £12 and it does the route in just over three hours. The fancier Pendolino trains have tickets from 49 zloty (under £10) if you book a specific train in advance and takes 2.5 hours. The car takes 3.5 hours and it is about 300km/190 miles. Let's say the car does 6 litres per 100km (which is 47mpg) and fuel costs 6 zloty (£1.20) per litre, that makes 6*3 = 18 litres * 6zl = 108 Zloty per trip. That means on fuel alone, the train is half the price for a solo traveler and almost the same as two travelers.
You still have the same factor of timings and convenience, but it is at least very competitive.

gg1

Established Member
As I mentioned in another thread recently, price isn't a significant driver for me, at least when considering relative car vs train prices as the stand now in 2021 Britain.

The factors which determine my choice are total travel time and stress/hassle. Generally this translates as if I'm travelling to the centre of a major city I will usually use a train, pretty much every other journey I use a car. Comfort is also an important factor but the car wins hands down in that area.

richw

Veteran Member
For me it will take a lot for the car to win. I’m driving buses full time at work, my leisure time is for relaxing so public transport almost always wins on my day off, especially as I can get very cheap Day Rover leisure tickets for my local TOC through my employer. Only if I’m going somewhere inaccessible by transport does the car get used on days off

ashkeba

Established Member
Then you have the huge factor of convenience. With the car, I can leave when I want. I can go on a detour. I can visit a pub on the way home etc.
You can visit a pub, but not try many of the core sales! Driving cars is often very inconvenient.

TravelDream

I forgot to add in my post above the safety factor.
A lot of people feel uncomfortable if traveling by train on their own. This is especially true late at night or after dark. Even I wouldn't take the last train home unless I was with a group of people.

You can visit a pub, but not try many of the core sales! Driving cars is often very inconvenient.
Depends on who's doing the driving!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I got the real jolt when I was charged over £7 for Giggleswick - Wennington. I have become more wary of the cost of the train since then.
Many rail fares appear to be set deliberately to price people off.
I forgot to add in my post above the safety factor...
That's a very good reason to travel by train, but many people underestimate the risks of driving and the thousands of road deaths/injuries each year are generally deemed not newsworthy by the media.

TravelDream

That's a very good reason to travel by train, but many people underestimate the risks of driving and the thousands of road deaths/injuries each year are generally deemed not newsworthy by the media.

I think I clearly wasn't talking about the likelihood to be seriously injured or die in an accident. Rightly or wrongly, many people just don't think about that when they get in their car or do any other day-to-day ordinary activity. Humans are generally very bad at risk perception.
It's why few worry about car and train crashes, but a not small number of people are terrified of flying even though that's statistically the safest form of travel. Two we see as ordinary and every day whilst the other we don't.

I was talking about anti-social behaviour, the risk of theft, assault, sexual assault, verbal abuse, feeling uncomfortable by others' behaviour etc. Yes, the risk might be low, but we are culturally conditioned to see it as a big risk.
As I said, I wouldn't take the last train of the night on my own and wouldn't consider myself vulnerable or anything.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think I clearly wasn't talking about the likelihood to be seriously injured or die in an accident.
I realise this; I was deliberately making a point.

Rightly or wrongly, many people just don't think about that when they get in their car or do any other day-to-day ordinary activity.
Exactly.

Humans are generally very bad at risk perception.
Indeed; people erroneously worry about being unsafe on a train when statistically it's a very safe place to be
It's why few worry about car and train crashes, but a not small number of people are terrified of flying even though that's statistically the safest form of travel. Two we see as ordinary and every day whilst the other we don't.

I was talking about anti-social behaviour, the risk of theft, assault, sexual assault, verbal abuse, feeling uncomfortable by others' behaviour etc. Yes, the risk might be low, but we are culturally conditioned to see it as a big risk.
As you say people erroneously see small risks as big risks

As I said, I wouldn't take the last train of the night on my own and wouldn't consider myself vulnerable or anything.
I regularly take late trains without issue. I know of numerous people who died or were seriously injured in road traffic incidents, while in contrast I am not aware of any comparable issues relating to rail travel in anyone I know, that I'm aware of.

But of course people will read stories of rare incidents and attach a disproportionately large risk factor to them, effectively because they were rare and therefore made the news.

gg1

Established Member
According to page 10 of this government report for 2019, there were 195 accident casualties of car occupants per billion passenger miles, or put another way 1 casualty per 5 million miles, death rate is 1.6 per billion passenger miles. Granted I'm sure rail is much lower (would be interesting to see the stats), but when the odds of being injured as a car occupant in a traffic accident are that low, it's not unreasonable for people to not give it much thought.

Anyone in favour of encouraging people to switch to green transportation should be very wary of using the safety argument anyway considering cycling is considerably higher risk than driving, the report states:

Casualty rates - 195 car occupant casualties per billion passenger miles compared to 4,891 cyclists (25 times higher)
Fatality rates - 1.6 deaths of car occupants per billion passenger miles compared to 29 cyclists (18 times higher)

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ported-road-casualties-annual-report-2019.pdf

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
So then you just have the core costs. Fuel, parking and any tolls/ congestion charges.

In Britain, the train can very rarely, if ever, compete with these even when someone is traveling alone. If there's a group of you, the car will win by a country mile.
Exactly. Very few roads charge tolls. Very few urban areas charge for the congestion or air pollution cars emit. Parking is very commonly underpriced because it is not taxed, or 'bundled' e.g. you can park at nominal cost or for free in your workplace or in a city centre if you're a customer of the business on whose land you're parked, like where a cinema charges for parking but gives you a 100% rebate of that on your cinema ticket.

It does not help that railway group discounts are often a very small proportion.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
According to page 10 of this government report for 2019, there were 195 accident casualties of car occupants per billion passenger miles, or put another way 1 casualty per 5 million miles, death rate is 1.6 per billion passenger miles. Granted I'm sure rail is much lower (would be interesting to see the stats), but when the odds of being injured as a car occupant in a traffic accident are that low, it's not unreasonable for people to not give it much thought.

Anyone in favour of encouraging people to switch to green transportation should be very wary of using the safety argument anyway considering cycling is considerably higher risk than driving, the report states:

Casualty rates - 195 car occupant casualties per billion passenger miles compared to 4,891 cyclists (25 times higher)
Fatality rates - 1.6 deaths of car occupants per billion passenger miles compared to 29 cyclists (18 times higher)

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ported-road-casualties-annual-report-2019.pdf

very, very roughly, in the last 15 years there have been 1,000 billion passenger km, and two passenger fatalities in train accidents.

However there have been more passenger fatalities in accidents than this, typically falling down stairs / escalators, or falling under trains at stations (unintentionally).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's a very hard judgment to calculate accurately because for rail travel its basically a) the fare and b) any associated costs to get to your station.

Whereas for car travel, most people think its just
a) petrol
b) parking
but you're also forgetting
c) tax,
d) insurance,
e) maintenance,
f) other parking,
g) time cost [congestion if applicable - some journeys are quicker]
h) environmental cost [although most individuals may not account for this].

As these are not direct costs, it's understandably hard to calculate all of that accurately and most people do not.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Annual or monthly.

d) insurance,

Annual or monthly (mileage impacts the figure but only to a very small extent for most).

e) maintenance,

Most annual.

f) other parking,

Parking already appears above?

g) time cost [congestion if applicable - some journeys are quicker]

It is hard to put a specific value on personal time, particularly if one enjoys driving or dislikes it less than travelling on an overcrowded train.

h) environmental cost [although most individuals may not account for this].

How's that 2-car 1980s DMU with one man, dog and bicycle, or Voyager, doing? The railway needs to stop shouting this until it has its house in order, which means a complete end to "dead dinosaur" burning.

As these are not direct costs, it's understandably hard to calculate all of that accurately and most people do not.

Even if they do, more people will consider these a periodic cost as a "membership fee" to the "owning a car club". Trying to push people to work them into a per-mile cost is pointless because that isn't a valid model for most people, as they need to be paid whatever mileage you do. Even tyres and brake linings aren't mileage-based for many - if like most people you keep cars for about 3-5 years you will likely, unless you do huge mileages, need one or at most two sets of pads (possibly discs too but depending on the condition when you bought it; discs are generally regarded to last two sets of pads) and one set of tyres during that ownership period. So even that is effectively time-bound - you don't get anything significant back if you sell a car with brand new tyres on it.

Thus, the cost of a ticket is only reasonably comparable with the cost of fuel, tolls and parking for any given car journey. Anyone suggesting otherwise is utterly wasting their time.

If you're trying to attract people not to own a car, or to reduce from two to one in the household, then the other costs become relevant. Railcards, the Swiss Generalabonnement season ticket and the likes might do better to do this, as you remove one fixed cost and replace with another, and in doing so reduce or remove the comparable per mile cost.

ashkeba

Established Member

Anyone discussing safety should be very wary of using "per mile" figures instead of "per hour" because people travelling many miles will mostly be bike-train-bike with some bike-coach-bike and bike-carshare-bike, whereas almost all car users will only use cars. Simple analysis like per mile will mislead you.

And another big problem is that analysis is by victim, not by perpatrator. The majority of those cyclists are injured by motorists, so switching more from car to bike should reduce them, and pedestrian casualties too.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Annual or monthly.

Annual or monthly (mileage impacts the figure but only to a very small extent for most).

Most annual.

Parking already appears above?

It is hard to put a specific value on personal time, particularly if one enjoys driving or dislikes it less than travelling on an overcrowded train.

How's that 2-car 1980s DMU with one man, dog and bicycle, or Voyager, doing? The railway needs to stop shouting this until it has its house in order, which means a complete end to "dead dinosaur" burning.

My point is that all of aspects are indeed periodic, but we're not talking about periodic rail travel (unless you have a season ticket which is not really the topic of this thread); it's one-off travel for most people versus an equivalent car journey. Therefore, its hard to make accurate comparisons, and most people underestimate their overall car costs. I'm not saying that if you did a cost analysis of your car v rail journey, rail would always be cheaper, but it would likely be cheaper more often than people realise. Calculating exact number is of course very difficult and isn't what somebody would do but if we want realistic costs, they all have to be factored in. I also forgot the cost of the car itself.

Definitely there's issues about old DMUs going around whereas a modern car or either a hybrid / fully-electric would actually be better environmentally. Of course the opposite will also be true on many fully-electrified, long-distance journeys so its highly trip/route dependent.

gg1

Established Member
Anyone discussing safety should be very wary of using "per mile" figures instead of "per hour" because people travelling many miles will mostly be bike-train-bike with some bike-coach-bike and bike-carshare-bike, whereas almost all car users will only use cars. Simple analysis like per mile will mislead you.
Depends on the context, if you're looking at switching your daily commute from wholly car to wholly bike, a per mile figure is relevant. The one aspect this report doesn't take into account is road type, with motorways being statistically the safest roads which skews the figures in favour of car safety. Having said that it's difficult to dispute the fact that a cyclist is at greater risk than a driver.

And another big problem is that analysis is by victim, not by perpatrator. The majority of those cyclists are injured by motorists, so switching more from car to bike should reduce them, and pedestrian casualties too.
Agreed on all points, but....

If I as an individual switched from driving to cycling for all local journeys, the fact is I would still be putting myself at much greater risk. Most people consider their personal safety before the safety of others, selfish maybe but fully understandable. I like to think I'm a responsible, considerate driver and as a result my presence behind the wheel doesn't increase the risk to other road users, whether on 4 wheels, 2 wheels or on foot.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Of course those figures are very skewed because it's the car drivers who are largely creating the risk, which is mostly transferred to others. Many of those who are killed or seriously injured are not inside cars. Then there's the polution and emissions generated by cars.

Unfortunately we are incentivised to use a very damaging form of transport.

These are all very good points.

Depends on the context, if you're looking at switching your daily commute from wholly car to wholly bike, a per mile figure is relevant. The one aspect this report doesn't take into account is road type, with motorways being statistically the safest roads which skews the figures in favour of car safety. Having said that it's difficult to dispute the fact that a cyclist is at greater risk than a driver.
But we also have to bear in mind that if I chose to drive to work instead of cycle, I would not be making anyone safer; on the contrary I would be generating additional risk. Admittedly most of the risk is passed onto others.

Any conclusions about road safety should not reach conclusions that suggest people switching to driving makes us safer, as that would be perverse.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
But we also have to bear in mind that if I chose to drive to work instead of cycle, I would not be making anyone safer; on the contrary I would be generating additional risk. Admittedly most of the risk is passed onto others.
You would be making yourself safer.

If you genuinely do regard the safety of strangers as more important than your own personal safety that's laudable but very much a minority view.

ashkeba

Established Member
Depends on the context, if you're looking at switching your daily commute from wholly car to wholly bike, a per mile figure is relevant.
Is it? I thought people commuted an average amount of time no matter what their method and, in urban areas at commute time, cycling speeds are similar to motoring speeds. As you acknowledge, using distance results in motorways dominating the figures, with currently no comparable "fietsnelweg" in the UK to balance things out the other way (and do not make me laugh by mentioning the London "Superhighways" of which only two stretches of routes 3 and 6 would come close to being fietsnelwegs and then only if the traffic light timings were improved).

The one aspect this report doesn't take into account is road type, with motorways being statistically the safest roads which skews the figures in favour of car safety. Having said that it's difficult to dispute the fact that a cyclist is at greater risk than a driver.
It is very easy to dispute that. You apper to be comitting the grave error of assuming that the population averages necessarily apply to every individual cyclist or driver.

If I as an individual switched from driving to cycling for all local journeys, the fact is I would still be putting myself at much greater risk.
Why? Does your local area have unsafe cycle routes? If so, then start there, rather than suggesting it is an unalterable fact.

Also, risk of what? The inactivity-related diseases of the short-distance motorist will catch you quicker. I echo what was written earlier: people are terrible at assessing risk.

Most people consider their personal safety before the safety of others, selfish maybe but fully understandable. I like to think I'm a responsible, considerate driver and as a result my presence behind the wheel doesn't increase the risk to other road users, whether on 4 wheels, 2 wheels or on foot.
I trust that you are responsible and considerate but are you also infallible? I dout it, so you do increase the risk, even just a little and lots of littles add up.

I remain fairly confident that bike-train-bike can be both the fastest and safest with much less work from government than trying to improve all the fallible and feckless motorists.

gg1

Established Member
Is it? I thought people commuted an average amount of time no matter what their method and, in urban areas at commute time, cycling speeds are similar to motoring speeds. As you acknowledge, using distance results in motorways dominating the figures, with currently no comparable "fietsnelweg" in the UK to balance things out the other way (and do not make me laugh by mentioning the London "Superhighways" of which only two stretches of routes 3 and 6 would come close to being fietsnelwegs and then only if the traffic light timings were improved).
My daily commute is 6 miles each way regardless of whether I drive or cycle. How is a per mile figure NOT relevant?

It is very easy to dispute that. You apper to be comitting the grave error of assuming that the population averages necessarily apply to every individual cyclist or driver.
Do you have any evidence to support an argument that drivers are at greater risk of death or serious injury on the road than cyclists? Such an argument defies not only all evidence I've seen but basic common sense, ie being enclosed in a 4 wheeled metal box with crumple zones and airbags vs being completely exposed perched on 2 wheels mounted on a frame.

Why? Does your local area have unsafe cycle routes? If so, then start there, rather than suggesting it is an unalterable fact.
There are relatively safe routes which are fine for cycling for leisure or health reasons but of limited use for the journeys I actually need to make. Commuting for example would require travelling along very busy A roads with limited cycle lanes.

Also, risk of what? The inactivity-related diseases of the short-distance motorist will catch you quicker.
The general health benefits of cycling is a valid point, though cycling as a means of practical transportation is not the only way to achieve that.

I trust that you are responsible and considerate but are you also infallible? I dout it, so you do increase the risk, even just a little and lots of littles add up.
No, I'm not infallible, and don't dispute there is always a risk I could kill or seriously injure someone due to a lapse in judgement. If I'm cycling myself however I run the risk of falling victim both to a similar lapse in judgement of other roads users AND to the dangerous driving of people who really shouldn't be on the roads in the first place. I consider the second possibility to be a higher likelihood than the first.

I was in fact once involved in an accident involving a driver pulling out of side road without looking and hit the side of my car. Aside from minor bruising I was completely uninjured but if the exact same collision had happened to me whilst riding a bike I could very easily have been killed.

Last edited:

david1212

Established Member
There are numerous people I know or have known who only use rail to travel to London.

Any car vs train cost comparison will always have different views as to some a car is essential so they only see the additional costs e.g. fuel, wear & tear, reduced servicing intervals where as for those who could not have a car it is the whole door-to-door cost. The group size is another core factor as the increase in car fuel costs for additional passengers is minimal.

My commute is impractical without a car i.e 20 minutes vs close to 2 hours using buses plus walking both ends. I do not enjoy driving so for leisure the train is first choice. I consider a rail fare of more than 20p/mile off peak to be expensive though hence then generally will drive or not travel at all. Once I reach age 60 so entitled to a senior rail card then more journeys become less than 20p/mile.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Driving to Central London is one journey where rail wins hands down. But Warwick - Wimbledon. Perhaps not.

1) Parking even in outer London can still be expensive/tricky
2) South London's Road network is an unpleasant, congested mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.