• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Airport scheduled flight details annouced

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Lydd we can add to the list of airports that tried and failed. I remember it being marketed as London Ashford airport which was seen as silly because it only had flights to Le Touquet in France that is closer to Lydd Airport than London is.

When did Brighton (Shoreham) last have scheduled passenger services. I can recall someone trying to set up a service to Paris in about 2013 but I don't think it ever actually launched. It was still a grass landing strip until 1981.

For 2 months in 2013 there were flights from Brighton to Paris but they had to stop because of customs problems. Other than that SkySouth which pulled out in 2009 and Blue islands pulled out in 2008.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daodao

Established Member
Lydd we can add to the list of airports that tried and failed. I remember it being marketed as London Ashford airport which was seen as silly because it only had flights to Le Touquet in France that is closer to Lydd Airport than London is.
Lydd Airport was opened in 1954 for Silver City Airways air vehicle ferry services to northern France and beyond. These declined in the 1970s and once these ceased (in 1977), Lydd only had a limited role. In the 1980s it was used for coach-air services (to bypass the ferries), but the opening of the Channel Tunnel and low cost airlines have removed this niche role. Lydd was very successful for the role for which it was built, but it is now redundant for scheduled air services.

gingerheid

Established Member
Ah, yes. Lydd and Swansea too. I think Lydd Air served Shoreham too at first / some point?

Which, leaving out the near misses, means Carlisle and Wick are at risk of joining pre Covid:

Blackpool, Brighton (Shoreham), Cambridge, (Coventry, sort of), Gloucestershire, Lydd, Manston, Oxford, Plymouth, Sheffield City & Swansea...

Not only would Carlisle be in excellent company if it joined the list, but it's not even the biggest airport that's had / is now having a go at joining it :(

frodshamfella

Established Member
When did Brighton (Shoreham) last have scheduled passenger services. I can recall someone trying to set up a service to Paris in about 2013 but I don't think it ever actually launched. It was still a grass landing strip until 1981.

I know Jersey European used to fly to Jersey from there in the 80s. Maybe Aurigny to Alderney since. I wouldnt be surprised to see such a link return again in "better" times.

Lydd Airport was opened in 1954 for Silver City Airways air vehicle ferry services to northern France and beyond. These declined in the 1970s and once these ceased (in 1977), Lydd only had a limited role. In the 1980s it was used for coach-air services (to bypass the ferries), but the opening of the Channel Tunnel and low cost airlines have removed this niche role. Lydd was very successful for the role for which it was built, but it is now redundant for scheduled air services.

I flew from Lydd on 3 occasions once to Ostend ( Day Trip ) and once to Beauvais ( where I went onwards to Paris for a weekend ) and once to Le Touquet ( Day trip ). I flew with Janus Airways firstly on HP Herald and a Viscount, and another airline I think called British International in a HS748. Great little airport and good trips away, I remember them all being busy flights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.