• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Station Improvements

themiller

Still no more progress on platform 1 due to the holes in the steel plates forming the roof of the undercroft.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Follow the footprint stickers on the platform. It's near the footbridge on the same wall as the BTP office.
It's called - inaccurately - "301 Miles from London" and if you turn left on entering the platform area it's on the left-hand side just before you reach platform 6 and more-or-less opposite the bottom of the footbridge ramp. Unfortunately, however, it hasn't reopened since lockdown measures have been relaxed and its Facebook page has disappeared, so its future is anybody's guess.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's called - inaccurately - "301 Miles from London" and if you turn left on entering the platform area it's on the left-hand side just before you reach platform 6 and more-or-less opposite the bottom of the footbridge ramp. Unfortunately, however, it hasn't reopened since lockdown measures have been relaxed and its Facebook page has disappeared, so its future is anybody's guess.

Shame really. Always seemed busy when I went in there !

HSP 2

About 298.5 miles from Euston I think. But maybe 301 from Charing Cross where London distances are traditionally measured?
From London St. Pancras or London Euston to Carlisle. I don't think that the G.W.R. would have measured to Swindon from Charing Cross as well or the L.N.E.R. but it could have made the non-stop runs a bit longer.
It looks like the distance was the road mileage from London to Carlisle.

Last edited by a moderator:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
As a Southern Region person I approve !
Ha Ha, very good. I shall have a look for that pub next time I am there, which hopefully may be in about a week, as all being well I am going to West Yorkshire on a rail themed holiday and one of the trips booked is on the Staycation Express, which I am looking forward to, we are going all the way from Skipton? to Carlisle and return.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ha Ha, very good. I shall have a look for that pub next time I am there, which hopefully may be in about a week, as all being well I am going to West Yorkshire on a rail themed holiday and one of the trips booked is on the Staycation Express, which I am looking forward to, we are going all the way from Skipton? to Carlisle and return.

Please report back whether its open by then !

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Please report back whether its open by then !
Will do. I think, infact, the day I am going on that trip/train is the 19th July, when hopefully a few more restrictions may be lifted, so perhaps I can get a quick glass of something there? :)

NI 271

Although the junction for the Kingmoor lines could do with having a faster entry/exit speed if the speed at the station throats is being increased.
The junction isn't the issue, the issue is the Italian bridge immediately north of the junction, which has a 10mph PSR over it in either direction. There's no gain by increasing the speed of the turnout (which is already 30mph in the up direction) because of that.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
An image has appeared showing possible future Platform changes connected to HS2.

Is it just the way it's drawn or does the proposed platform 0 in fact face the wrong direction for Cumbrian Coast services?!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is it just the way it's drawn or does the proposed platform 0 in fact face the wrong direction for Cumbrian Coast services?!
It's the way it's drawn, I think. What looks to be a north-facing bay is labelled as an evacuation escape route, and Platform 0 is a through platform.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It's the way it's drawn, I think. What looks to be a north-facing bay is labelled as an evacuation escape route, and Platform 0 is a through platform.

Oh yes I suppose that makes more sense. Still odd to have what appear to be some short sidings to the south, and long sidings to the north, and put a terminating train service from the south onto a through platform.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Oh yes I suppose that makes more sense. Still odd to have what appear to be some short sidings to the south, and long sidings to the north, and put a terminating train service from the south onto a through platform.
It looks like they've taken a current track layout and (rather quickly) drawn some platforms over it. The sidings shown to the south I would expect to go, those to the north may stay to stable units (and locos from Kingmoor) in.

HSP 2

I didn't know that. Is that the bridge across the River Caldew?

IIRC it's the first river bridge north of Carlisle, it has also been singled, I'm sure someone from nearer to Carlisle will let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:

themiller

It looks like they’ve found a solution to the corroded steel plates on platform 1. Today many tactile paviours have been removed and some new steel plates bolted into place.B365611B-345D-4763-9ADB-8F8829AC98F3.jpeg

S&CLER

If the 301 is not open there is a good pub (all real ale) called the Fat Gadgie (honestly) about a 5 minute walk. Carlisle, Court Square, Carlisle CA1 1QZ to The Fat Gadgie - Google Maps

I've been looking at the miles again, on rail miles.
Euston - Carlisle 299:7 chains
St. Pancras - Carlisle via. Nottingham 317:34 chains
I once read that the shortest ever route from London to Carlisle was from KX via Doncaster, Holbeck (avoiding Leeds stations), Ingleton and Low Gill. Unfortunately I can't trace the reference.

themiller

A bit of progress on P1 north today. Steel mesh is in place and almost ready for pouring concrete. It looks like the project will be running about 6 weeks late.

Attachments

• 489868E7-490C-4B3C-AE9D-3AC07F798581.jpeg
    489868E7-490C-4B3C-AE9D-3AC07F798581.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 62

D6975

Established Member
I once read that the shortest ever route from London to Carlisle was from KX via Doncaster, Holbeck (avoiding Leeds stations), Ingleton and Low Gill. Unfortunately I can't trace the reference.
297m59c so shorter than WCML certainly.
ps 298m69c if you reverse at Leeds, so still shorter than WCML.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
297m59c so shorter than WCML certainly.
ps 298m69c if you reverse at Leeds, so still shorter than WCML.
How much difference does it make to go via Ingleton (when it was there) versus the S&C?