• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carto Metro map London v4.3 now online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogmi

Franklin has just uploaded v4.3 of the London map

view the interractive map online or download the PDF version (recommended for home PC use)

Note - To download the PDF
On the CM page, RIGHT CLICK on the PDF link, then SAVE AS to download the PDF file. If you just click on the PDF link, the browser may open it (a very slow process) rather than giving the option to save it.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Is there a changelog?

One thing for the next edition: The Kennington Loop should lose its single-direction arrow.

On Moderation
Is there a changelog?

One thing for the next edition: The Kennington Loop should lose its single-direction arrow.
The Heathrow Express depot and Old Oak Common depot connections can be removed as well. Just the Elizabeth line depot on site now.

stuu

Established Member
Is there a changelog?

Why? It's still in use and still works in the same direction

bakerstreet

Does anyone have a map which shows how the Overground used to arrive at the platforms at Stratford close to the Jubilee line?

I can’t see how this used to occur, although I know it did !

AM9

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a map which shows how the Overground used to arrive at the platforms at Stratford close to the Jubilee line?

I don't have a map but broadly, from Stratford Market, it followed what is now the DLR formation up to Stratford (platforms 16 & 17), and then underneath the GEML. There was a 'y' junction on the north side, with the left branch swinging westwards and joining the NLL (the right branch went towards the Lea Valley line), but the junction has been removed and the raft on which the Westfield Shopping centre is built covers the track until just before the location of the main NLL is reached. A trip on the stub of the DLR to Stratford International is weel worth it to see where the line went. There is very little flow between the two stations so it shouldn't be difficult getting a front seat.

If you can load this link;
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...1.54468&lon=-0.00561&layers=1&right=ESRIWorld
on the excellent NSL site, my explanation should be clearer.

Mikey C

Established Member

OpenRailMap has the chord which used to connect it to the track to the low level platforms

Taunton

Established Member

Above notes are correct. The whole of the DLR from Canning Town to the last 200 metres or so where it bends into the International terminal platforms is built on the old Overground/BR/GER alignment. The Jubilee Line alongside much of this was opened well before the Overground service was given up (2007 I think), essentially to allow its conversion to the DLR - and also because hardly anyone used this easternmost part. Where the DLR comes right alongside the NR lines between Stratford and International is where the tracks used to link up. There are cabfront videos on Youtube that show how it was (and all 3rd rail).

Mikey C

Established Member
Above notes are correct. The whole of the DLR from Canning Town to the last 200 metres or so where it bends into the International terminal platforms is built on the old Overground/BR/GER alignment. The Jubilee Line alongside much of this was opened well before the Overground service was given up (2007 I think), essentially to allow its conversion to the DLR - and also because hardly anyone used this easternmost part. Where the DLR comes right alongside the NR lines between Stratford and International is where the tracks used to link up. There are cabfront videos on Youtube that show how it was (and all 3rd rail).
The DLR extension to George V (and later Woolwich Arsenal) in 2004 took most of the Stratford to North Woolwich traffic, enabling its closure in 2006. Before that it was reasonably well used, but less than the rest of the North London Line.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Ok thanks. How does that actually work in practice?
The first trains in the morning from Battersea run to Kennington NB then run empty around the loop to Kennington SB, to provide the next service back to Battersea

stuu

Established Member
The first trains in the morning from Battersea run to Kennington NB then run empty around the loop to Kennington SB, to provide the next service back to Battersea
ah ok, thanks. One for the rare track people then

bakerstreet

Thank you I’ll take a look

rebmcr

Established Member
I don't think passengers are allowed to use the Kennington Loop in either direction.
It's a grey area, they're not required to thoroughly de-train, but they also don't like to take passengers through (partly because trains can be re-timed there and sit in the tunnel for quite a while). Many enthusiasts have deliberately done it, with no fuss.

Whether they are stricter with the wrong-direction moves (and indeed at a much quieter time of day when it would be more difficult to escape the attention of platform staff) I am not sure.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think passengers are allowed to use the Kennington Loop in either direction.
They are cleared for passenger use as it's generally not practicable to sweep the trains due to the tight headways.

It's very much unofficial from a passenger point of view, though and there is of course no right to be conveyed by it and if someone tells you to alight, you'd need to do that.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When you're on a normal Kennington terminator going round the loop the displays (and possibly announcements too) explain that you'll shortly arrive back at Kennington. Presumably this is to allay fears of someone who has just woken up. The chances of being found before departure early in the morning on a reverse direction trip are much higher because the train actually changes direction, thus spends more time in the platform before departing.

Rogmi

Thanks, people, for the changes comments, I'll pass them on to Franklin.

No changelog as such, but these are the changes since v4.2

There's very few changes since the map was updated when the Elizabeth line opened.
4.3 now shows the Barking Riverside extension as open (although there were no trains running from there for a big chunk of yesterday due to problems elsewhere on the line, and no service again today (Tuesday) because of different problems shutting down the Goblin all day.)!

The Ripple Lane area updated following changes to the layout because of the extension

Northen line:
- minor positioning of a crossover at Golders green
- addition of disused crossover between 18 and 19 roads at Morden depot and
- shortening of 18 road and show disused crossover back of 18 road to 17rd
- site of Weston Street C&SLRly signal cabin added
- 'Under the wall' name added to disused siding at Finchley Central
- disused crossovers added south of Camden Town (this was the original route before the C&SLRly was extended from Euston)
- Pudding Mill Lane Junction name added at Stratford

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Another thing that's slightly out of date is the description of the NR lines approaching London Bridge. They seem to be those in use while the station was being rebuilt.

Rogmi

Another thing that's slightly out of date is the description of the NR lines approaching London Bridge. They seem to be those in use while the station was being rebuilt.
Thanks

You're right about that, that was done during the changes when it was a mix of new and old layout.
The London lines map is a bit more up to date, but still need some changes to the naming of the London Bridge and Blackfriars tracks.

I'll check out the current SA

Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Always love the Carto maps, thanks for all your work on this.

Would there be any possibility of slightly extending the southern border of the map in future to include Purley in full, along with the Caterham and Tattenham Corner lines? Almost all other railways within the M25 are covered bar these two lines.

Rogmi

Always love the Carto maps, thanks for all your work on this.

Would there be any possibility of slightly extending the southern border of the map in future to include Purley in full, along with the Caterham and Tattenham Corner lines? Almost all other railways within the M25 are covered bar these two lines.
Franklin is the one that does the map. I'll pass your comments on to him (or he may read this thread). There may be a physical size limit for the map which makes it unrealistic to expand any further, especially as this would mean extending it vertically about 4 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.