• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Castlefield Viaduct ‘sky park’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winthorpe

Today I visited the newly-opened Castlefield Viaduct attraction in Manchester. This is the 1892 Grade II listed steel viaduct that used to carry the railway into the Manchester Central station and the Great Northern Warehouse, but has been disused since 1969. It has been converted by the National Trust into a 'sky park' which opened to visitors on the 30th July.

Apart from it being a lovely green space with excellent views of Manchester, it is fantastic to be able to see the Victorian viaduct structure so close (the first thumbnail below shows an signal gantry). Another bonus is it offers great views of the still working railways which flank the structure on both sides. Manchester Metrolink trams rattle past every couple of minutes on the CLC viaduct on the one side. On the other side is the busy heavy rail between Deansgate and Salford Crescent/Ordsall Cord.

It is open for free 45-minute guided tours. Only half of the available space is in use. During the first year 'pilot' opening, visitors' views on how to use the space in the long-term are being gathered. So it is worth a visit to let them know what you think should be done. What about a small viewing space overlooking the working railway for enthusiasts? :D

Tickets are free and need to be booked in advance here. New batches of tickets are released every Thursday (they go quickly).

I know it is a shame it is not in use by the railway. But it is better being used for something rather than nothing. The National Trust have done a good job and it is well worth visiting for the reasons given above.

A few of my (not very good) photos:

IMG_0230.JPEGIMG_0212.JPEGIMG_0196.JPEGIMG_0203.JPEGIMG_0220.JPEGIMG_0224.JPEGIMG_0199.JPEG

Has anyone else visited it yet? What did you think?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you this and your photos which are good. I have recently heard about this, I think it may be expanded in the future, hope it is a success.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I don't wish to be guided, I don't wish to be fixed to a specific 45 minute slot booked well in advance and I don't wish to have to get there 10 minutes in advance of that slot. I guess I'm looking at it as an urban park to relax in as and when and for however long rather than a visitor attraction!

Gosh, it's like the Covid shopping experience back in mid 2020 lockdown. Coming soon to a National Trust property near you perhaps!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I didn't know about this, but I am very keen to see it. Sounds like a great use of infrastructure, and when I am next due to visit Manchester I'll certainly have to look at getting a ticket.

Thanks for the heads-up! @Kite159 will probably like this too :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I didn't know about this, but I am very keen to see it. Sounds like a great use of infrastructure, and when I am next due to visit Manchester I'll certainly have to look at getting a ticket.

Thanks for the heads-up! @Kite159 will probably like this too :)

I would be interested, but having to jump through the hoops to book a guided 45 minute tour rather than having the ability to just turn up on the day to take your own time in looking at the old viaduct.

Seriously 45 minutes, how massive is it? From the looks of things most people will be in & out within 10 minutes.

vlad

I don't wish to be guided, I don't wish to be fixed to a specific 45 minute slot booked well in advance and I don't wish to have to get there 10 minutes in advance of that slot. I guess I'm looking at it as an urban park to relax in as and when and for however long rather than a visitor attraction!

If I understand it correctly that's the long-term aim - the present booked slots are part of the NT's gauging interest and figuring out how best to make it accessible.

Sm5

Looks like a great place for a miniature railway.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes, indeed, that would be a great idea, especially when more of it is open and a longer journey could be possible. It may attract a some more visitors too, maybe have a little commentary too?. :D:D

Winthorpe

Gosh, it's like the Covid shopping experience back in mid 2020 lockdown. Coming soon to a National Trust property near you perhaps!
Guided tours are just for the initial 'pilot' opening. The guide told me they need to sort out a second entrance/exit - or at least an emergency second fire exit - to comply with fire regulations.

Thank you this and your photos which are good. I have recently heard about this, I think it may be expanded in the future, hope it is a success.
I hope it is successful too. It was always sad to see it not being used for so long.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Yes it is well worth a visit.

I would be interested, but having to jump through the hoops to book a guided 45 minute tour rather than having the ability to just turn up on the day to take your own time in looking at the old viaduct.

Seriously 45 minutes, how massive is it? From the looks of things most people will be in & out within 10 minutes.
Most people on my tour left early after 20 minutes or so.

If I understand it correctly that's the long-term aim - the present booked slots are part of the NT's gauging interest and figuring out how best to make it accessible.
Yes, spot on. I was told they need an alternative way out in case of fire before it can be opened up for free access.

I thought that too. I would be a fitting way to mark its original use.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I know it is a shame it is not in use by the railway. But it is better being used for something rather than nothing. The National Trust have done a good job and it is well worth visiting for the reasons given above.
Is there anything useful the railway could make of it in 2022 though? Agree that it's better as an urban park than a rusting eyesore.

My only concern about the trend for "linear parks" on old urban railways is that these things might take priority over a more useful transport project. Not an issue here, as I can't see how the modern railway could make use of it... but things like the "Camden Highline" could be a Phyrric victory for the environmentalists. Likewise the Holbeck viaduct in Leeds keeps being suggested for an "urban linear park" but in my opinion would be better used as a segregated formation for a tram system.

Winthorpe

Is there anything useful the railway could make of it in 2022 though? Agree that it's better as an urban park than a rusting eyesore.
I don’t think there is any use for it for heavy rail now, as far as I can see.

I’ve always thought that the Metrolink should have four tracks between St Peter’s Square and Cornbrook. That would enable grade separation of trams going to the Eccles/Trafford Park lines from trams going to the Altrincham/South Manchester lines. (The switch over at Cornbrook is sometimes prone to fail). It might have been useful for that.

My only concern about the trend for "linear parks" on old urban railways is that these things might take priority over a more useful transport project. Not an issue here, as I can't see how the modern railway could make use of it... but things like the "Camden Highline" could be a Phyrric victory for the environmentalists. Likewise the Holbeck viaduct in Leeds keeps being suggested for an "urban linear park" but in my opinion would be better used as a segregated formation for a tram system.
I agree, these projects are short-sighted. They have a future as railways.

Winthorpe

If you're looking at tram rather than heavy rail, the idea of the tram running through the "garden" isn't far fetched. Trams can share space with pedestrians and cyclists.
Sorry I meant the Camden Highline and Holbeck viaduct projects are definitely short-sighted.

The Castlefield viaduct park might also be short-sighted because as I say it might be useful for four tracks between St Peter’s Square and Cornbrook. But I’m certainly no expert on the practicalities. :D

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don’t think there is any use for it for heavy rail now, as far as I can see.

I’ve always thought that the Metrolink should have four tracks between St Peter’s Square and Cornbrook. That would enable grade separation of trams going to the Eccles/Trafford Park lines from trams going to the Altrincham/South Manchester lines. (The switch over at Cornbrook is sometimes prone to fail). It might have been useful for that.
They are grade-separated already, west of Cornbrook. If that doesn't work properly, then better to fix it than to take on liability for a viaduct that would probably need reinforcement even for trams, not to mention building a new ramp alongside Central where there probably isn't space. As far as I know trams are far more likely to be delayed on the street track to the east than on this section, despite it having more trams per hour.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They are grade-separated already, west of Cornbrook. If that doesn't work properly, then better to fix it than to take on liability for a viaduct that would probably need reinforcement even for trams, not to mention building a new ramp alongside Central where there probably isn't space. As far as I know trams are far more likely to be delayed on the street track to the east than on this section, despite it having more trams per hour.

True. The big piece of work that should be looming for Metrolink, as more lines are added to it and the city centre is getting busier, is a third city crossing - a cut and cover underground premetro like Den Haag's Tramtunnel, not another bridge onto the existing street sections.

Winthorpe

Indeed that was the point I was making.
Yes, I just meant to agree with you. :D

True. The big piece of work that should be looming for Metrolink, as more lines are added to it and the city centre is getting busier, is a third city crossing - a cut and cover underground premetro like Den Haag's Tramtunnel, not another bridge onto the existing street sections.
Thanks. Where - approximately - would the third crossing tunnel go?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
As well as the Leeds suggestion above, I presume that is the viaduct that you can see from the train, when travelling in or out of Leeds Railway Station? I had notheard of a similar project in Camden North London? but, there was talk not so long ago of using some disused track, viaducts in South London, possibly around Peckham?

There is one of these that can be seen in Paris when driving to Gare du Nord from Gare de Lyon, not far from Gare De Lyon infact, perhaps, it is using part of the inner railway, that used to connect many of the Paris Railway Station. (Petit Ceinture?).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There is one of these that can be seen in Paris when driving to Gare du Nord from Gare de Lyon, not far from Gare De Lyon infact, perhaps, it is using part of the inner railway, that used to connect many of the Paris Railway Station. (Petit Ceinture?).
There is a short section of viaduct north of Gare de Lyon which has been an elevated park for many years, and was originally an extension to a terminus at Bastille I believe. Parts of the Petite Ceinture have also been converted to linear park. I walked a section in the Porte de Versailles area in 2016 and more may have been converted since.

crosscity

If a bit of revenue can be raised towards the upkeep of the viaduct by creating the 'linear park', then I'm in favour.
There were some great views of the city when I walked the route in 1975. Here's what it looked like:

02Apr75. Cornbrook Jct. BR Class 310 EMU 079. [Slide_0917] by Ray Honke, on Flickr

02Apr75. Castlefield Jct. BR Class 304 EMU 035. [Slide_0916] by Ray Honke, on Flickr

How close to Cornbrook Jct would the park get?

02Apr75. Cornbrook Jct. BR Class 304 EMU 028. [Slide_0919] by Ray Honke, on Flickr

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@crosscity. Nice photos, especially the one of the Class 310 EMU, but I guess they've all been taken from what's now effectively the Metrolink track formation, rather than the adjacent 'Sky Park'?

eMeS

From when I was born until I was 10 (in ~1949), we lived close to Chassen Road Halt in Flixton, and all our trains to Manchester Central, I expect, went over the CLC line and Castlefield Viaduct. I've still got vague memories of it, as well as the models of ships in the glass cabinets in Central Station. Occasionally we'd go to Liverpool, and my father took me specially to see electric trains on the overhead dockside railway, just before it closed. (Sadly, no photos.)

Chester1

Established Member
Sorry I meant the Camden Highline and Holbeck viaduct projects are definitely short-sighted.

The Castlefield viaduct park might also be short-sighted because as I say it might be useful for four tracks between St Peter’s Square and Cornbrook. But I’m certainly no expert on the practicalities. :D

The bottleneck is Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop to St Peters Square, especially the on street section near the latter stop (despite being three tracks). Cornbrook to Deansgate-Castlefield is busy but has a slightly higher capacity because it is entirely segregated. The viaduct is redundant for light and heavy rail use for the forseeable future. Maybe it could be used in a currently unplanned scheme but its better that it is used by public than continue to rust and decay. Manchester city centre is short on green space and this will be a great addition once fully open.

snowball

Established Member
I suspect the viaduct would have to be rebuilt if it were ever to be used for any rail or tram project. When Metrolink was being designed over 30 years ago it had a choice between two viaducts and chose the one that was in better structural condition. The other one has now become the park.

Winthorpe

@crosscity Great photos, thank you for posting them.

The bottleneck is Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop to St Peters Square, especially the on street section near the latter stop (despite being three tracks). Cornbrook to Deansgate-Castlefield is busy but has a slightly higher capacity because it is entirely segregated. The viaduct is redundant for light and heavy rail use for the forseeable future. Maybe it could be used in a currently unplanned scheme but its better that it is used by public than continue to rust and decay. Manchester city centre is short on green space and this will be a great addition once fully open.

I suspect the viaduct would have to be rebuilt if it were ever to be used for any rail or tram project. When Metrolink was being designed over 30 years ago it had a choice between two viaducts and chose the one that was in better structural condition. The other one has now become the park.
Fair enough. As I say in my original post, I'm a big fan of the project to use the viaduct as a park. The National Trust have done a good job. It is sad that it was left unused for more than 50 years. :smile:

MisterSheeps

The big piece of work that should be looming for Metrolink, as more lines are added to it and the city centre is getting busier, is a third city crossing
Yes, along a pedestrianised Oxford Road, to serve the universities & remove the buses (allegedly the busiest bus route in Europe). Then maybe out to Salford Crescent.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Agreed, similar to Merseyrail, Tyne & Wear Metro. I bet the tram drivers absolutely hate driving in the city centre late on a Friday/Saturday night when the drunks are out, as some have no concept of trams [especially if they are visiting Manchester from another place].

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As well as the Leeds suggestion above, I presume that is the viaduct that you can see from the train, when travelling in or out of Leeds Railway Station? I had notheard of a similar project in Camden North London? but, there was talk not so long ago of using some disused track, viaducts in South London, possibly around Peckham?

Yes, that's the viaduct I was referring to (apologies for not replying sooner!). AIUI the curvature is too severe for modern heavy-rail use, so as much as it could be useful otherwise, it's a non-starter.

My concern with the Camden proposal is that supposedly it could be returned to railway use even after conversion... but once it's established as a recreational space, the howling from the more extreme environmentalists would be measurable on the Richter scale. See also some of the Sustrans cycle routes: they say they'll hand them back if needed, but when it comes to the crunch they'll put up a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.