• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Castlefield Viaduct ‘sky park’

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes, that's the viaduct I was referring to (apologies for not replying sooner!). AIUI the curvature is too severe for modern heavy-rail use, so as much as it could be useful otherwise, it's a non-starter.

My concern with the Camden proposal is that supposedly it could be returned to railway use even after conversion... but once it's established as a recreational space, the howling from the more extreme environmentalists would be measurable on the Richter scale. See also some of the Sustrans cycle routes: they say they'll hand them back if needed, but when it comes to the crunch they'll put up a fight.
No Problem, yes indeed. (By the way, I like your photo of what appears to be a German IC or TEE Loco and Train.) :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No Problem, yes indeed. (By the way, I like your photo of what appears to be a German IC or TEE Loco and Train.) :D
Thanks, but it isn't "my" photo so I can't claim any credit (other than good taste I guess!).

It was intended as a temporary avatar when the Forum software updated in 2017 and my old one (a photo of one of the nameplates from loco no. 61653) was no longer able to be displayed.

WatcherZero

Established Member
The condition its in it could never be used for vehicles again when you take the walk you can see the sheer number of the structural cross braces that have been rusted clean through, there are holes in the bridge deck and so a new floor has been laid while locations for planting are also limited to where can take the weight. They had to crane in the pavillion as a modular building as they couldnt use vehicles and would otherwise have to carry and erect everything by hand.

Winthorpe

The sky park reopens after its winter break this weekend on Saturday 18th February. The plan is to extend the pilot for a further 18 months to December 2024.

It remains free, but this year it is easier to visit. You can either:
  • pre-book guided walks between 11am and 12:30pm; or
  • turn up after 1pm to explore the park at your leisure.

Full details in the Manchester Evening News:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was going to have a nosey at that recently, when I was in Manchester and had the time to go, glad to see I didn't try if it was shut! I'll have to go there next time I'm up, and yes of course there will some feedback in a trip report 8-)

plugwash

Established Member
If you're looking at tram rather than heavy rail, the idea of the tram running through the "garden" isn't far fetched. Trams can share space with pedestrians and cyclists.
Yes, trams pass through areas with pedestrians present, but there is usually ample space for those pedestrians to get out of the way. On a two-track railway viaduct I'd think you would struggle to have space for a pair of tram tracks and a garden and enough space for pedestrians to get out of the way. I'm also pretty sure trams have to run significantly slower in areas where they are mingling with pedestrians.

Status
Not open for further replies.