• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Catering on Long Distance Dutch Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon, all being well I shall be visiting the Netherlands later this year, hopefully using the new Late morning Eurostar service direct to Rotterdam or maybe Amsterdam, changing there to go onto Groningen, where we change again to a local train to Veendam.

The journey to Groningen is quite long about 2 hours I think, does anyone know if there is any catering on NS trains now, buffet/trolley etc? ERT does not show anything. When I went last year from AMS to RTM, they was nothing on board, but that was a quick journey.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polarbear

Established Member
Having been on NS earlier today, I know the Brussels-Amsterdam service has catering of a sort. A person with a tray of snacks strapped around their waist, and a back-pack that presumably contained hot water.

Most IC services in the Netherlands are operated by units, many double deck. As such, on board catering isn’t something they do.

There are normally very good outlets at most main stations where you can pick up snacks & supplies.

Groningen

Established Member
The catering stops in Zwolle. Never seen 1 walking around in Groningen leaving or entering the train. It is a kind of circusartist all strapped in front of the body. Search on Youtube: Alewijn achter de schermen. And you see the catering in the Netherlands in action in 69 seconds.

MisterT

There isn't any on-board catering available by default, but (as said by the previous reactions) there might be someone coming along the train, usually between Utrecht and Zwolle, but I wouldn't count on it, as not every train is covered.
My advise would be to buy beforehand.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Those are working students, provided/based in Almere/Utrecht and sometimes Zwolle who pass by (if lucky) on the busiest sections-mostly doing drinks (their giant insulated rucksacks contain hot water-the rest is all instant). And perhaps some chocolate or bar/peanuts.
ANY platform in about ANY major station has a KIOSK selling much more at quite inflated high prices (cf is about 2,50/2,60), though there are often coupons. All major stations also have a minimarket, mostly AH to GO (AH=Albert Heyn, the major tesco-lookalike we have here, in pale blue, sometimes also HEMA) that offer far more-also at inflated high prices. Normal AH supermarkets in town often offer free and even drinkable cf in small cups. if you feel like it-all routes run at least ev 30 mins and once INside the system here in NL you never are tied into specific trains.
Note: you are advised to NOT go via Ams Central, change at Rotterdam or SCHIPHOL airport for quicker trip. S'hol has no barriers, but your ticket can gain exit/entry all day in all such stations that do. Both these have hourly direct trains to Gron-and ev 30 mins with change cross-platform @ Zwolle in between. Changing at S'hol let you taste the HS-line to there from RTM. Look yourself what stations offer best timings.
To go Veendam its often quicker to use the fast bus from Assen to there-but that you have to pay for.

Groningen

Established Member
The price by bus from Assen to Veendam is given at 6,91 Euro one way. Than you have to have an OV-chipcard. Sorry to say this, but you regret not visiting Groningen. A town of 180.000 people it is a mini Amsterdam where you can do anything you want to do. You know that there is a plane connection between Stansted and Groningen Eelde airport. In June for 70 - 100 euro with Easyjet. There is a supermarket at the points that matter. In the citycenter there are 4 Albert Heijn and 2 Jumbo + Coop west and Plus south of the station. Google Maps tells you precies where.

AlexNL

Established Member
As has been said before, on-train catering in the Netherlands is provided on some routes, but only on the most 'profitable' times. It's not a given that you will see anyone for the duration of your trip. However, you will find that Dutch stations have excellent retail facilities including supermarkets (AH To Go), sandwich shops (La Place, Brooodzaak), food (Julia's, Döner Company, Smullers) and coffee (AH To Go, Kiosk, Starbucks) and more.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Many Thanks for all advice, I will get some food/drinks either in the stations or city centres, if time permits. I am going with a rail minded tour group, so they are organizing all the travel arrangements.

Groningen

Established Member
Food/drinks in Groningen in the station:
Kiosk: things you also buy in the train
P_20190424_194418_p.jpg
Smullers: fried food + Burgerking
P_20190424_194505_p.jpg
Starbucks + Ah to go (supermarket + Julia's (pasta)
P_20190424_194601_p.jpg
Stationhall with ticketsale NS and Arriva
P_20190424_194941_p.jpg

chubs

Most IC services in the Netherlands are operated by units, many double deck. As such, on board catering isn’t something they do.

There are normally very good outlets at most main stations where you can pick up snacks & supplies.

The first few generations of VIRM double deckers have lifts inbetween the stairs in the vestibule for the trolley so it was possible and done, but as catering was discontinued the latest generation doesn't have them and has wider stairs. I don't think DDAR/DDZ/DDM1 ever had the lifts either.

As everyone else has said and just like the UK there is far better catering at stations.

Struner

Many Thanks for all advice, I will get some food/drinks either in the stations or city centres, if time permits. I am going with a rail minded tour group, so they are organizing all the travel arrangements.
So you will be off to STAR in Stadskanaal then.

Groningen

Established Member
If you are on a Sunday in the Netherlands you can also use the VSM between Apeldoorn and Dieren. In June Sunday only! Oh yes the bikestorage in Groningen is wider than the large station with an additional 2 level bikehotel.

chubs

Pfft, check out the bike parking in Utrecht CS!

Although catering isn't what it once was - RIP patatstraat

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
So you will be off to STAR in Stadskanaal then.

Yes I am sure we are doing that one, along with some others. Looking forward to the trip and seeing how Eurostar works at Brussels coming from London to the Netherlands:)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The first few generations of VIRM double deckers have lifts inbetween the stairs in the vestibule for the trolley so it was possible and done, but as catering was discontinued the latest generation doesn't have them and has wider stairs. I don't think DDAR/DDZ/DDM1 ever had the lifts either.

As everyone else has said and just like the UK there is far better catering at stations.

I think some Swiss double deck trains have or had lifts too for catering.

Groningen

Established Member
There is no direct train from Amsterdam to Groningen. You Always have to change in Almere or Amersfoort. And are you in the wrong half hour also in Zwolle otherwise you end up in Leeuwarden.

Amsterdam Centraal 18:07 - Almere Centrum 18:28 / Almere Centrum 18:33 - Groningen 20:12
Do not use Amersfoort! Change is 1 minute and it is not Always on the same platform.

Utrecht Centraal - Groningen on Youtube:
Den Haag Centraal - Schiphol - Almere - Zwolle on Youtube:

Why do i Always get Always with a starting capital?

chubs

Just more bikes then.

Utrecht cs aka shopping mall is no match for the grandeur of Groningen's Hoofdstation. :p :lol:

I think they've severed the link to HC now, although not made it over in a while. HC is more like Westfield or any other mall now, but they had a point that it was just a cut through between Jaarbeurs / CS / the old city than a mall before.

(RIP patatstraat!)

Why do i Always get Always with a starting capital?

Maybe predictive text from your device because its in Nederlands en niet Engels?! :lol:

Goedenavond meneer Groningen! :smile:

I was in your city last year and very much enjoyed my short visit, as others mentioned the architecture of the station is quite impressive, and the centrum is also pleasant and the locals friendly.
I went to some student bar called "Shooters" if memory serves, was fun! As was some Irish bar whose name I forget.

Leeuwarden -(another student town!) is also well worth visiting and in my opinion underrated -(it was the European Capital of Culture last year), you can learn all about the history of West Friesland at the Fries Museum there, there was an exhibition on about Mata Hari when I was there.

And of course to get up there, you have de Koplopers! I do love those trains, a true NS classic.

Enjoy your trip anyway Stevie, NL is great fun both on and off the rails.
Goede reis! :D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Maybe predictive text from your device because its in Nederlands en niet Engels?! :lol:

Goedenavond meneer Groningen! :smile:

I was in your city last year and very much enjoyed my short visit, as others mentioned the architecture of the station is quite impressive, and the centrum is also pleasant and the locals friendly.
I went to some student bar called "Shooters" if memory serves, was fun! As was some Irish bar whose name I forget.

Leeuwarden -(another student town!) is also well worth visiting and in my opinion underrated -(it was the European Capital of Culture last year), you can learn all about the history of West Friesland at the Fries Museum there, there was an exhibition on about Mata Hari when I was there.

And of course to get up there, you have de Koplopers! I do love those trains, a true NS classic.

Enjoy your trip anyway Stevie, NL is great fun both on and off the rails.
Goede reis! :D

Thank you, I am looking forward to it.

sprunt

A town of 180.000 people it is a mini Amsterdam where you can do anything you want to do. You know that there is a plane connection between Stansted and Groningen Eelde airport. In June for 70 - 100 euro with Easyjet.

Groningen is on my wish list of places to visit - I like Amsterdam, but I've had some wonderful times in the smaller Dutch cities (Rotterdam, Utrecht, Eindhoven) and Groningen is definitely on the list. Thanks for mentioneing the Stansted service - I was aware of the "London" Southend service, but Stansted is much more convenient for me.

Groningen

Established Member
How older the city the nicer the old buildings are. Places not to visit, but are relative large are Almere and Lelystad. I could post some pictures, but that you just enter www.visitgroningen.nl with of course english language option. Do also not forget Zwolle with trains in 8 directions: Leeuwarden, Groningen, Emmen, Enschede, Arnhem/Roosendaal, Utrecht/Rotterdam, Almere/Den Haag en Kampen. All electric material!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
How older the city the nicer the old buildings are. Places not to visit, but are relative large are Almere and Lelystad. I could post some pictures, but that you just enter www.visitgroningen.nl with of course english language option. Do also not forget Zwolle with trains in 8 directions: Leeuwarden, Groningen, Emmen, Enschede, Arnhem/Roosendaal, Utrecht/Rotterdam, Almere/Den Haag en Kampen. All electric material!

Has the link across to Bremen and Hamburg been restored yet ? (some bridge trouble) , keen to do it - failed miserably some years ago thanks to a DB train failure and eventually circulated via Osnabruck , and two quick changes elsewhere. Only stayed overnight in Groningen - and arrived very late . Seems a nice (university) city.

Struner

I'm afraid you'll have to wait till 2025 for the Friesenbrücke to be operational again - I'm an optimist :D.
But there is a direct bus Groningen-Leer, without intermediate stops. Faster. But no views of the river from the bridge, but instead of the inside of a tunnel o_O. Dutch OV-chip etc valid.
The trough train Groningen-Bremen is a separate issue for officials to argue about of course :rolleyes:.
I've been on a through carriage from Groningen to Hannover, back in the seventies. Shunted about in Leer & Oldenburg.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I'm afraid you'll have to wait till 2025 for the Friesenbrücke to be operational again - I'm an optimist :D.
But there is a direct bus Groningen-Leer, without intermediate stops. Faster. But no views of the river from the bridge, but instead of the inside of a tunnel o_O. Dutch OV-chip etc valid.
The trough train Groningen-Bremen is a separate issue for officials to argue about of course :rolleyes:.
I've been on a through carriage from Groningen to Hannover, back in the seventies. Shunted about in Leer & Oldenburg.

Thank you for that ! - will approach Gronignen then by NS ! (what hacked me of that time was this DB train sat down outside Hamburg HBF with a failed loco - and it took over 2 hours to shift it) - the hotel I stayed in G/en had a free bike system , so had planned to explore the city a bit. No chance. Took solace elsewhere and carried on the next day via Utrecht etc to Brussels and home.

Groningen

Established Member
Remember that the fast bus Groningen to Leer is 6.30 (not Sunday) untill 20.30 every 2 hours. Leer departure is 7.30 (not Sunday) untill 21.30. Depature is from the busstation at stop P and takes 55 minutes. In Leer in front of the station between the busstation and railstation. Clearly marked Arriva. You can also take the train to Weener at 53 and take the bus to Leer. But with 9.53 train/bus and 10 30 you arrive in Leer at about the same time. But that 53 train/bus connection is every hour. Connection on train to Bremen is 15 minutes with more freight in one day than in Groningen in a month. Below you find the sign of the busstop to Leer.
P_20190503_085155_p.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
My trip to the Netherlands is getting close. I Think I will be on a train from Rotterdam Centraal to Groningen at 16.05 hrs / arriving 18.42. I prefer to sit facing direction of travel, would the train firstly depart as if towards Den Haag/Amsterdam etc or in the opposite direction as if towards Brussels? Hoping it will be a double deck train too.

Status
Not open for further replies.