• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Celebrity diesels - the most famous and popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
Aye, believe it was cut up as quickly as it was so that any prospective souvenir hunters would be deterred.
Some myths:
There was a reverser/master switch from 40126 that went to auction signed by Reynolds (There was an auction, but it could have been any old master switch).
Royal Mail have a flame cut of a number panel.
At the date of the accident in 1983, I was only 18 months old!
I was a lot nearer 18 years old than 18 months!

Strathclyder

Established Member
But allegedly 35006 at the GWSR has some of the wheelsets beneath its tender.
Some myths:
There was a reverser/master switch from 40126 that went to auction signed by Reynolds (There was an auction, but it could have been any old master switch).
A lot of myths surrounding this particular 40 to say the least. The one that sticks out in my memory is the one concerning a secondman allegedly being electrocuted while working on it. Could very well have been a case of crossed wires/confusion and the resulting story taking on a life of it's own in railway circles.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Some myths:
At least one exists (or did around 10 years ago) as have seen it!

But allegedly 35006 at the GWSR has some of the wheelsets beneath its tender.
Unlikely, they are Class 40 wheelsets (they still have the gears on them for drive from traction motors) but they were purchased from Swindon works so would think is definitely not likely they were from 40126, unless someone has traced those wheelsets back through their life?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I think the HST is really the only diesel that would be recognised by Joe Public due to the marketing over its life time.
IIRC didn't the DoT trial a railway crossing road sign with an HST on it because of its distinctive shape to replace the steam loco image?
Found one at a foot crossing near Teigngrace station on the Heathfield branch.
684B905A-4A16-40FD-A9CB-78A4B47E05F0.png

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Unlikely, they are Class 40 wheelsets (they still have the gears on them for drive from traction motors) but they were purchased from Swindon works so would think is definitely not likely they were from 40126, unless someone has traced those wheelsets

Thread reopened to allow @Trackman provide an update on "flamecut"

Trackman

Established Member
It still exists! Someone posted a recent photo of it yesterday on a FB.

A lot of myths surrounding this particular 40 to say the least. The one that sticks out in my memory is the one concerning a secondman allegedly being electrocuted while working on it. Could very well have been a case of crossed wires/confusion and the resulting story taking on a life of it's own in railway circles.
A while back I discussed this with a forum member who was doing some research on the boxing day crash, which I think was subject to some dispute too.
Anyway after some in depth research we drew a blank on the secondman incident, the other electrocutions that year were accounted for and was not 40126.
The only reference we can find is from 'Rail Enthusiast' magazine from around 1982ish and Wikipedia uses that magazine as a source too.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Historically, I feel these five were/are significant (in no particular order):

LMS 10000; a real tragedy that the original wasn't preserved
HST power car 43102 - I'd take that over 43159 as 43102 was the one leading/being driven, on the World record run
D8000 - one of the first of the Modernisation Plan diesels and arguably one of the most successful
59001 - opened the floodgates to the North American takeover
13000 - BR standard shunter - the "Diesel" from Thomas the Tank Engine

On Moderation
HST power car 43102 - I'd take that over 43159 as 43102 was the one leading/being driven, on the World record run
43102 wouldn’t have got to 148mph without 43159, though.

Those two are the most significant British trains since Mallard.

Historically, I feel these five were/are significant (in no particular order):

LMS 10000; a real tragedy that the original wasn't preserved
D8000 - one of the first of the Modernisation Plan diesels and arguably one of the most successful
59001 - opened the floodgates to the North American takeover
13000 - BR standard shunter - the "Diesel" from Thomas the Tank Engine
The oldest diesel I saw was an Armstrong Whitworth 0-6-0 carrying a builders plate of 1926 on the Preston Docks Railway. I doubt it was ever preserved.

On Moderation
Surely the most famous diesel is..........DELTIC
Who, outside enthusiasts, is going to have the faintest idea of what it is? Sure, some will have seen it in the Science Museum, but it was many years ago it left and in any case I doubt many would remember it as a highlight from a visit.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Who, outside enthusiasts, is going to have the faintest idea of what it is? Sure, some will have seen it in the Science Museum, but it was many years ago it left and in any case I doubt many would remember it as a highlight from a visit.
Some of the general public do know of existence of Deltics as a class but seem to think anything that has a nose is a Deltic.

Last edited:

JKF

Some of the general public do know if existence of Deltics as a class but seem to think anything that has a nose is a Deltic.
In our house (with two young children, one who is train-obsessed) they’re all ‘Brewsters’.

I filmed a test train running down the gorge last week top and tailed with 37610 and 37612 and was told ‘double Brewster!’. And that was from their mum…

Magdalia

Established Member
Some of the general public do know of existence of Deltics as a class but seem to think anything that has a nose is a Deltic.
This has happened since the Deltics were new. Here is a quote from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph in 1963, describing a local Royal Train working:

The train bringing the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh hauled by a highly-polished diesel locomotive - "Aureol" - of the Deltic class, rolled into Barnwell station...

DustyBin

Established Member
This has happened since the Deltics were new. Here is a quote from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph in 1963, describing a local Royal Train working:

I once met someone who thought a “Deltic” was any diesel-electric loco, which I can see the logic behind (sort of!).

Last edited:

E27007

I consider the iconic diesels not to be British, but products from the USA I nominate the pioneering diesels of the USA, from the many makers such as Baldwin ( babyface and sharknose) , Alco, GM, Fairbanks Morse etc.
The F and E series by GM are high on my list

Status
Not open for further replies.