• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Celebrity diesels - the most famous and popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6968

I dread to think what riot will ensue when 40 118 goes back on the mainline, which the excellent 16 SVT society plan to do.
Do you know something we don’t? Because seriously I’ve mates who reckon we’ll be seeing a replica Baby Deltic before we see 40118 in action.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Do you know something we don’t? Because seriously I’ve mates who reckon we’ll be seeing a replica Baby Deltic before we see 40118 in action.
40118 is mentioned in the current issue of Rail Express and they are not far away from starting it up. It is also about to move to the Battlefield line. Both the Baby Deltic and 40118 are fantastic projects, not really a race though.

D6968

40118 is mentioned in the current issue of Rail Express and they are not far away from starting it up. It is also about to move to the Battlefield line. Both the Baby Deltic and 40118 are fantastic projects, not really a race though.
Fair enough but I’ve heard 40118’s ‘not far away from start up’ for the past 20 years, for me (and a few others I know) it’s one of those I’ll believe it when I see it projects, you are right though about it not being a competition about who can hit that engine start button first though.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Was there ever a 47 666? <(
47 125 was allocated that number, but it was never used - the ETS conversions stopped at 47 665.

Curiously enough, 47 125 was the locomotive hauling the train involved in the Summit Tunnel fire...

The claim to fame of 47125 is that it was twice scheduled for ETH conversion, but on both occasions the conversion was cancelled and the loco remained a 47/0 right to the end in 2002. The first planned conversion was in 1974 which would have seen 47125 become 47548 ( 47 126 was chosen instead, becoming 47555); the second was in 1987 with the allocated number of 47666, but the ETS programme was halted at 47665. The numbers 47548 and 47666 were never re-used.

D6130

Established Member
47 125 was allocated that number, but it was never used - the ETS conversions stopped at 47 665.

Curiously enough, 47 125 was the locomotive hauling the train involved in the Summit Tunnel fire...
Thanks Peter. I thought something like that was the case. The Summit Tunnel fire has become a bit of a legend in these parts, with several local pubs and cafes displaying photographs of its effects....flames and smoke shooting skywards from the ventilation shafts, etc.

Trackman

Established Member
I was thinking more of mainline action, which they are aiming to do - with the Baby Deltic project it's out of the question as there's only one engine left.
Fair enough but I’ve heard 40118’s ‘not far away from start up’ for the past 20 years, for me (and a few others I know) it’s one of those I’ll believe it when I see it projects, you are right though about it not being a competition about who can hit that engine start button first though.
I'd visit the 16 SVT FB group- they are close to starting up.
The baby Deltic started up over 10 years ago in the '37', there are plenty of videos on you-tube. I suppose they had to make sure it worked before progressing!
I would make a trip to see the class 28 run on a preserved railway though. Last time I saw it was at Swindon in the early 80's.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Whilst obviously not a diesel, the APT is still quite well recognised and has a strong following, despite not having turned a wheel in anger for over 30 years.

malc-c

For me I would like to see what we already have be more national. Whilst it may not have been a loco's normal patch in service, it would be nice to see them run on all lines. For example, the 50's were often seen running on the west country line, but how about having then run up the ECML on an excursion from Kings X. Likewise the Deltic headed excursions have always run out of Kings X, but why not have one run out of Paddington or Euston ? (unless gauging issues are the reason). I remember my excitement when I ventured out early to video the 86 Les Ross heading up an excursion on the ECML

Trackman

Established Member
It was a gag back in the 80's that based on 47555 'The Commonwealth Spirit' turning up everywhere there were actually several of the same engine.
Wasn't one of the cabs saved or someone having a laugh with one they bought? - I'm sure it's in North Wales somewhere.

TheBeard

46009 if you're over 50; Blown up dramatically as the BBC News main story to show us diesel was safe to haul Nukes.
edit it was a Deltic

JKF

For the general public, boco the loco will be recognisable to a few.

SteveM70

Established Member

Not as a 45015 replacement I hope!

Flying Phil

Established Member
46009 if you're over 50; Blown up dramatically as the BBC News main story to show us diesel was safe to haul Nukes.
edit it was a Deltic
Surely it was deliberately run at high speed into a rolled-over nuclear flask on its flat-wagon, to test the integrity of the flask in the worse case scenario. Not "blown up" at all....it was spectacular though!!

Dryce

55022 RSG stands out if it was to get out and about. Even SWMBO who has no interest in trains can recognise the sound of a Deltic.

And it fits in terms of look for many who see class 37, class 45, and Deltic as being similar or the same as a generic locomotive of its day because of the cab arrangement.

But after they finally retire the HSTs then if there is a set left running on the mainline then I think that it will become the most notable to those who remember diesels. Ubiquitous and recognised in its day and well liked and it looks like they will be very long lived in service. There will also be additional of detail for the cognoscenti to care about - Valenta engine or which livery or whether it is an original HST125 or a Scotrail shortened configuration or .....

Bevan Price

Established Member
The answer depends on who you ask - enthusiasts or non-enthusiasts.

Non-enthusiasts will have barely noticed the difference between the different diesel classes, especially when they were all painted in allover rail blue. Some will probably recognise HSTs, but you have to remember that much of the country never had any regular HST services, and the only time they would be seen was very rare appearances on TV.

Enthusiasts mostly have their own individual preferences; some like Deltics, some like Westerns, etc., etc. Personally I have no favourites, and even a bit of a love-hate feeling because diesels replaced steam.

As for Flying Scotsman -- maybe the reason it is so popular is that - apart from looking quite impressive - it is the only UK steam loco that has been allowed to operate on the main lines almost continuously since the 1960s **

(** Apart from its disastrous overseas tour, and longish periods during overhaul.)

I suspect that Mallard might have been equally famous if it had been allowed to remain operating, but apart from a brief spell circa 1975, it is apparently "too delicate" for regular use, and NRM did not wish to pay £££,£££ to get it working when other A4s were available.

tumbles

I was thinking more of mainline action, which they are aiming to do - with the Baby Deltic project it's out of the question as there's only one engine left.

I'd visit the 16 SVT FB group- they are close to starting up.
The baby Deltic started up over 10 years ago in the '37', there are plenty of videos on you-tube. I suppose they had to make sure it worked before progressing!
I would make a trip to see the class 28 run on a preserved railway though. Last time I saw it was at Swindon in the early 80's.
I’d love the ELR to one day have a ‘uniques’ gala - might be 10 years away but imagine a class 15, 17 and the 28 all running together. I think the days each of these have their first public run there are going to be big numbers in attendance

alexl92

Established Member
55022 RSG stands out if it was to get out and about. Even SWMBO who has no interest in trains can recognise the sound of a Deltic.

And it fits in terms of look for many who see class 37, class 45, and Deltic as being similar or the same as a generic locomotive of its day because of the cab arrangement.

But after they finally retire the HSTs then if there is a set left running on the mainline then I think that it will become the most notable to those who remember diesels. Ubiquitous and recognised in its day and well liked and it looks like they will be very long lived in service. There will also be additional of detail for the cognoscenti to care about - Valenta engine or which livery or whether it is an original HST125 or a Scotrail shortened configuration or .....
Agree about the HSTs but not the Deltic, a non-enthusiast wouldn’t have a clue I don’t think.

The answer depends on who you ask - enthusiasts or non-enthusiasts.

Non-enthusiasts will have barely noticed the difference between the different diesel classes, especially when they were all painted in allover rail blue. Some will probably recognise HSTs, but you have to remember that much of the country never had any regular HST services, and the only time they would be seen was very rare appearances on TV.

Enthusiasts mostly have their own individual preferences; some like Deltics, some like Westerns, etc., etc. Personally I have no favourites, and even a bit of a love-hate feeling because diesels replaced steam.

As for Flying Scotsman -- maybe the reason it is so popular is that - apart from looking quite impressive - it is the only UK steam loco that has been allowed to operate on the main lines almost continuously since the 1960s **

(** Apart from its disastrous overseas tour, and longish periods during overhaul.)

I suspect that Mallard might have been equally famous if it had been allowed to remain operating, but apart from a brief spell circa 1975, it is apparently "too delicate" for regular use, and NRM did not wish to pay £££,£££ to get it working when other A4s were available.
You’ve more or less hit it on the head I think. Though I think most people would recognise the shape of an A4?

Anyway apparently Mallard is worth far more to the museum being on display (bringing in tourists etc) than it would ever bring them by running on the mainline, so it’s a business decision really!

xotGD

Established Member
I’d love the ELR to one day have a ‘uniques’ gala - might be 10 years away but imagine a class 15, 17 and the 28 all running together. I think the days each of these have their first public run there are going to be big numbers in attendance
Throw in a Class 23 for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.