• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changes to SWR Super Offpeak tickets from September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 1901 referred to by bakerstreet is quite clearly (on the site they linked) for the return journey, the outward says "arrive after 1200"

This is the relevant NRE text for outward:

and return:

(the info re Waterloo seems redundant unless I've missed something)

Not everything calls at vauxhall so putting a time at Waterloo covers that basis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 1901 referred to by bakerstreet is quite clearly (on the site they linked) for the return journey, the outward says "arrive after 1200"

This is the relevant NRE text for outward:

and return:

(the info re Waterloo seems redundant unless I've missed something)
I didn't click-through to the site to be fair, just accepting what bakerstreet said.

Effectively unless I’ve read this wrong - for example restriction BE - Monday to Fridays instead of being able to buy these cheaper tickets after 1100/for arrival after 1200, you now can’t until 1901.

Bournemouth has a considerable amount of leisure traffic being a popular seaside town and passenger numbers are steady compared to pre-covid.

The Portsmouth Direct however is said to have the slowest recovery of any route in terms of passenger numbers South of the River which presumably accounts for why it’s proposed that route won’t return to a pre-covid level of service.
That is fair enough. The coastline around Dorset is rather beautiful.

As the new Evening Out tickets are only for journeys under an hour, roughly speaking, I decided to look up journeys from Haslemere and then Petersfield.

Haslemere has journeys around an hour and these all have Evening Out Returns

Petersfield on the other hand doesn't as it's over an hour. Instead, they have a ticket type called Semi Flex, well so says the National Rail Enquiries app.

Doing more digging it seems the boundary station is Liphook, which is just 1 hour 5 minutes it just over. An Evening Out without a discount is £26. Liss, on the other hand, is 1 hour 15 minutes and for £28.50 you can get a semi-flex.

I searched the South Western Railway Web Site for the term semi flex and it found no results. Helpful.

One advantage to having distinctive names will be making identification easier for people who are dyslexic or anyone who has issues processing information that looks similar but isn't.

It still doesn't deal with off peak return and off peak day return though.

I take it the simple fares leaflet is no longer published. Still, the Web Site exists

Probably needs updating with these new ticket types explained.

Report in Local Nees Web Site on the fares increases

One thing I noticed was they refer to Super off peak returns but actually in the fares data they are Semi Flex. Why can't they get the terminology right? Will internal documents be calling them Suoer Off Peak when they are in fact semi flex. I thought this was simplifying things but it's not doing so if they use incorrect terminology.

Another thing that surprised me was you can buy a Sunday Out fare from Guildford to Haywards Heath but it's only available in the any permitted or via or passing through Clapham Junction fares and not the not via Clapham Junction fare.

The last one is priced by GWR but is usually the fastest journey. A journey via Clapham Junction is more than 70 minutes. Via London, even longer.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was surprised to find that not all Evening out and Sunday Out fares were showing up on a TMV at Guilford station. The fare I was looking up wasn't Guildford.

I thought once the ticket type was enabled all fares would show up.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess the losers from the new fares will be those who would use a weekend super off-peak ticket to travel to say London in the morning (arriving before 09:30) and those where the weekend tickets had no time restrictions (destinations west of Salisbury & Brockenhurst(?))

miklcct

On Moderation
I have just benefited from the new "evening out" fare for off-peak leisure travel today. Previously, the only single ticket available for a journey totally within BCP on Monday to Friday was an anytime ticket, now I can use an evening out ticket for any travel after 12:00 (I seldom travel before 12:00 on weekdays) which represents a substantial saving (about 20% off for Bournemouth - Branksome).

island

Veteran Member
I have just benefited from the new "evening out" fare for off-peak leisure travel today. Previously, the only single ticket available for a journey totally within BCP on Monday to Friday was an anytime ticket, now I can use an evening out ticket for any travel after 12:00 (I seldom travel before 12:00 on weekdays) which represents a substantial saving (about 20% off for Bournemouth - Branksome).
What is BCP?

Please remember the forum rules ask that abbreviations be specified in full on first use.

johncrossley

Established Member
Guessing that it could be Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole.

Yes, the unitary authority comprising Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch is informally known as BCP. The council even calls itself 'BCP Council' on the website.

Fiyero

I just want to check I’ve got this right. I used to be able to get a super off peak day return for a trip from Eastleigh to London arriving after 12:00. I now have to arrive after 14:00?
That doesn’t simplify my days out, it makes them more expensive (when I need more flexibility than Advance tickets allow)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I just want to check I’ve got this right. I used to be able to get a super off peak day return for a trip from Eastleigh to London arriving after 12:00. I now have to arrive after 14:00?
That doesn’t simplify my days out, it makes them more expensive (when I need more flexibility than Advance tickets allow)
"Simplification" is almost invariably PR spin for "price rises". Sometimes, as here, they give a handful of paltry concessions so they can say "look, these journeys are getting cheaper". That helps to distract from the vast majority of people that now face a substantial fare increase.

I'd expect more of these kinds of initiatives across other operators too, as the Treasury puts increasing amounts of pressure on the DfT to reduce subsidies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
"Simplification" is almost invariably PR spin for "price rises". Sometimes, as here, they give a handful of paltry concessions so they can say "look, these journeys are getting cheaper". That helps to distract from the vast majority of people that now face a substantial fare increase.

I'd expect more of these kinds of initiatives across other operators too, as the Treasury puts increasing amounts of pressure on the DfT to reduce subsidies.
Indeed. I believe there will be many more hidden price rises to come. In many cases it's dressed up as 'simplification' and something that passengers want. We need to be very wary of these sort of things going forwards.

island

Veteran Member
They would hope the flexible passengers will migrate to an off-peak return and the price-sensitive to advances (which they don’t need to share revenue with XC/GWR/Southern).

If you’re very price-sensitive you could always take a local service or drive to Fareham from where a super off peak day return via 3 Bridges is £20.40.

Iggy12a

Looking at Brfares, from Eastleigh to London it still quotes a Super Off Peak, and there is no Evening/Sunday Out fares listed.

island

Veteran Member
Looking at Brfares, from Eastleigh to London it still quotes a Super Off Peak, and there is no Evening/Sunday Out fares listed.
I think the point being made is that the super off peak restrictions have changed alongside the introduction of evening/Sunday out fares.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
That is however a Super Off Peak Return rather than a Super Off Peak Day Return.

If you’re very price-sensitive you could always take a local service or drive to Fareham from where a super off peak day return via 3 Bridges is £20.40.
That's certainly one reasonable workaround. Another would be to buy the Basingstoke to London Sunday Out at £23 which is pretty good if you're making a day return journey on a Sunday, or the Evening Out if you can fit around the relevant times. A Sunday Out from Eastleigh to Basingstoke is £12, or alternatively it's cheaper to split at Shawford if you're happy to stick with trains that call there. If one had car access, driving and parking in Basingstoke may be cheaper, and in the light of the supererior frequency of Basingstoke to London trains, more convenient.

boiledbeans2

I'm planning a day trip to London on a weekday. It will be my first time on SWR since Evening Out has been introduced.

My journey is
  • Guildford - Wimbledon - Tramlink, arriving at ~12 noon
  • Tramlink - Zones 1-2 at ~4pm
  • Followed by a few journeys in Zones 1-2
  • Zones 1-2 - Guildford at ~10pm
Previously, I would just get a Super off-peak day Travelcard and be done with it.

Now as the Evening Out is only valid for arrival after 2pm, I presume the best option would be paper ticket + oyster?
  • Paper ticket, Guildford - Wimbledon, Off peak return (with railcard) £9.70
  • Oyster, Z1-3 cap (with railcard) £5.75
  • Total cost: £15.45
  • (Although this journey would mean I need to catch the slow service which stops at Wimbledon on the way back to Guildford)
Compared to an Off-peak day Travelcard of £19.40

monxton

I guess the losers from the new fares will be those who would use a weekend super off-peak ticket to travel to say London in the morning (arriving before 09:30) and those where the weekend tickets had no time restrictions (destinations west of Salisbury & Brockenhurst(?))
Too right, that is my regular Saturday trip arriving Waterloo at 08:52 and returning in the afternoon. I have only just learned about this fare change, but in future I will be buying Advance tickets.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What are the restrictions for using a user off-peak return portion and not heading towards London? National Rail Enquiries suggests from 11:00. Am I understanding this correctly?

AY1975

Established Member
It also seems rather odd that (a) the earliest arrival time in London has been moved from 12.00 to 14.00 but the earliest departure time for travel from London remains at 12.00 and (b) this time restriction also applies on Saturdays (not on Sundays, though).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It also seems rather odd that (a) the earliest arrival time in London has been moved from 12.00 to 14.00 but the earliest departure time for travel from London remains at 12.00 and (b) this time restriction also applies on Saturdays (not on Sundays, though).
I think applying the late restriction on Saturdays is actually key. There are more people travelling on Saturdays than Monday - Thursday on some routes now, and the company are eager for them to pay more.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think applying the late restriction on Saturdays is actually key. There are more people travelling on Saturdays than Monday - Thursday on some routes now, and the company are eager for them to pay more.
Looking at restriction BD I got confused but now I understand it.

However, I found a fare between two stations and it didn't seem to follow what is going on.

If anyone who knows about fares and how this all works is interested, I can share details in a PM but I'd rather not in a public forum.

nw1

Established Member
Have just been referred here from another thread.

Made a Southampton Central - Beaulieu Road journey today on an 'Off Peak'. Train was the 1330 departure.
I am pretty sure this was around £1 more expensive than last time I made the trip, also on a Saturday but in August.

If there has indeed been a significant increase, and with a supposed 'green' agenda they really aren't encouraging people to use empty 444s on stopping services on a Saturday, which this train was. No worries about needing to socially distance on this service - I was the only one in my carriage.

If I have misremembered the fare I paid last time, many apologies.

Presumably the Sunday return would be cheaper?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Presumably the Sunday return would be cheaper?
We would probably have been able to comment more usefully if you'd mentioned the specific price you'd paid today!

It sounds like you should have paid £4.50 today. Before the September fares this would have been £4.80.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
We would probably have been able to comment more usefully if you'd mentioned the specific price you'd paid today!

It sounds like you should have paid £4.50 today. Before the September fares this would have been £4.80.
nickw1 says they paid the "Offpeak" fare which is £1-odd more. Depending on how it was purchased, they may have reason to complain.

Haywain

Veteran Member
with a supposed 'green' agenda they really aren't encouraging people to use empty 444s on stopping services on a Saturday, which this train was.
Whose “green agenda” are you referring to? If it’s the government’s you need to be well aware that actions and words rarely coincide.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
nickw1 says they paid the "Offpeak" fare which is £1-odd more. Depending on how it was purchased, they may have reason to complain.
Indeed. Perhaps they paid £5.70. It would be good to know where they bought the ticket from.

The National Rail Enquiries app quotes £4.50 for the 1336 departure from Southampton Central, returning the same day.
Screenshot_20211023-231435_National Rail.jpg

Perhaps it was a ticket machine at Southampton Central? Is the 'Evening Out Return' available there?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess it could just be the wording "evening out" which can be confusing at they might define evening as after 5/6pm and not at 1;30pm which in most people's eyes is the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.