• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charter loco on fire Northampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QueensCurve

Established Member
Birmingham New St tweeted this photo.

C-5kBhCWsAE5MWr.jpg

D1009

Established Member
Does this call into question WCR's maintenance and safety management procedures, again?

TimboM

Established Member
Does this call into question WCR's maintenance and safety management procedures, again?

I would suggest that's jumping to conclusions before full facts as to the cause and response are known. It could do, but on the other hand old locos (and new ones for that matter) catch fire sometimes.

e.g. an HST caught fire at Laira the other day I believe, and I don't think anyone is questioning GWR's maintenance/safety management procedures...

Muzer

Established Member
And, of course, 442s caught fire a few times as well. But then again, this is a 47; I don't think it's possible to have a journey behind a 47 without something going wrong with it :D

zn1

Old ladies occasionally have accidents, as for 47s being unreliable - i did thousands of miles with em, without issues, they are still a good horse to have at the front, Major components fail and the the result can be catastrophic failure..simple as that...work out her mileage since birth....it was bound to happen sooner or later

Crossover

Established Member
Of course, it was 47500 that toasted itself after derailing in Manchester and got dumped for a time in the now non-existent siding at MOSI. I'm not sure it was ever repaired

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Dumped at carnforth. Still showing the toasted bodyside damage

That passed me at Piccadilly, just 3 minutes later it was in the dirt!

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Of course, it was 47500 that toasted itself after derailing in Manchester and got dumped for a time in the now non-existent siding at MOSI. I'm not sure it was ever repaired

That particular incident was Network Rail's fault, wasn't it?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I could not tell if this was a Steam, Diesel or Electric loco? Which Charter was it hauling, I presume that must have come to an abrupt end.

TimboM

Established Member
I could not tell if this was a Steam, Diesel or Electric loco? Which Charter was it hauling, I presume that must have come to an abrupt end.

It was the Royal Windsor Express between Holyhead and Windsor & Eaton Riverside. Had 2x 47s working it, though, so when 47854 went up in smoke at Northampton, it was detached and the other 47 (47826) took the train forward.

Looks like it was then capped at MK Central though (270 Late at that point).

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It was the Royal Windsor Express between Holyhead and Windsor & Eaton Riverside. Had 2x 47s working it, though, so when 47854 went up in smoke at Northampton, it was detached and the other 47 (47826) took the train forward.

Looks like it was then capped at MK Central though (270 Late at that point).

Presumably top and tail, in which case it would have been trapped at Windsor without a second loco?

TimboM

Established Member
Presumably top and tail, in which case it would have been trapped at Windsor without a second loco?

I'm pretty sure it was T'n'T before the fire, so yes - good point, so probably why it was cancelled at MK (that and it was 4.5 hours late by then).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure it was T'n'T before the fire, so yes - good point, so probably why it was cancelled at MK (that and it was 4.5 hours late by then).

It terminated at MK so the stock could run to Acton Lane (?) for servicing, collection of a second loco and a return run from MK in the timetabled slot.

daikilo

Established Member
That particular incident was Network Rail's fault, wasn't it?

The RAIB report identified the lack of a check rail on the curve where the derailment happened but otherwise seemed to consider that it was more a combination of circumstances.
R072014-140331-Ordsall-Lane-Junction.pdf
At least I think one can say it was not a fault by WCRC.

BestWestern

Established Member
The RAIB report identified the lack of a check rail on the curve where the derailment happened but otherwise seemed to consider that it was more a combination of circumstances.
R072014-140331-Ordsall-Lane-Junction.pdf
At least I think one can say it was not a fault by WCRC.

The track gauge had also spread, I seem to recall.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
It terminated at MK so the stock could run to Acton Lane (?) for servicing, collection of a second loco and a return run from MK in the timetabled slot.

A day amongst the concrete cows in Franchise city instead of Windsor, with just one pub (and a Wetherspoons at that) near the station! I hope the punters got their money back.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I would suggest that's jumping to conclusions before full facts as to the cause and response are known. It could do, but on the other hand old locos (and new ones for that matter) catch fire sometimes.

e.g. an HST caught fire at Laira the other day I believe, and I don't think anyone is questioning GWR's maintenance/safety management procedures...

I certainly am, given the state of many of their 166s!

Status
Not open for further replies.