• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Checking arrival performance for EC 56 (Wawel) Krakow to Berlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravitystorm

I have a trip coming up in a couple of months, and I'm trying to find out how reliable the EC 56 daily Krakow to Berlin service is, specifically its arrival time in Berlin Hbf for planning onward connections. I've found in the past that although DB shows live train information in their app, it clears all the live train information as the train arrives in each station along the journey. So far my only idea is to set an alarm and check each day just before the scheduled arrival time, and note down how it is doing that day.

Can anyone think of a better approach? Are there any historical performance data available, either from DB, from a German equivalent of raildar, or from somewhere else? Or any better approach that I haven't thought of?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fragezeichnen

Here it is: https://www.zugfinder.net/de/zug-EC_56

Since Germany has illegally suspended the Schengen agreement at the Polish - German border and the train is not allowed to proceed beyond Franfurt(Oder) until all passports and ID cards have been inspected by border guards, significant delays to trains from Poland to Berlin are pretty much universal.

gravitystorm

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for, and I've bought a subscription to unlock the additional details.

Since Germany has illegally suspended the Schengen agreement at the Polish - German border and the train is not allowed to proceed beyond Franfurt(Oder) until all passports and ID cards have been inspected by border guards, significant delays to trains from Poland to Berlin are pretty much universal.
I hadn't heard about this until now. Thanks for the additional information - that explains why every train is at least 60 minutes late on arrival to Berlin in the last few weeks. I see from Twitter that Jon Worth ran into this in June too, so I guess I should expect the situation to continue in the meantime. That certainly means we need to rethink our plans because there's no chance of making any of the connections we were thinking about.

I can only hope they resolve this border check situation soon. Having unscheduled (and for me, if it wasn't for this forum, completely unexpected) 60-90 minute delays really wrecks long-distance journey planning.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Here it is: https://www.zugfinder.net/de/zug-EC_56

nothing illigal about it. Temporary suspensions are allowed. That is now done to stop illegal entries who mingle among Ukrainians.
Germany was criticesed for not doing that during the Syrian refugee crisis.

Having unscheduled (and for me, if it wasn't for this forum, completely unexpected) 60-90 minute delays really wrecks long-distance journey planning.
Best keep well clear of Amtrak trains in America, although to be fair, many hours of delay are always EXPECTED! :D

Fragezeichnen

nothing illigal about it. Temporary suspensions are allowed. That is now done to stop illegal entries who mingle among Ukrainians.
Germany was criticesed for not doing that during the Syrian refugee crisis.
Yes, suspensions are allowed, but the country suspending Schengen must notify the European Commission of the suspension. Various rules then apply as to when and how long the suspension can continue. They cannot just decide to unofficially start doing systematic checking of all international travellers and not tell anyone about it.

They have not done so. Therefore it is illegal.

gravitystorm

I can only hope they resolve this border check situation soon. Having unscheduled (and for me, if it wasn't for this forum, completely unexpected) 60-90 minute delays really wrecks long-distance journey planning.
As a followup to this, we took the EC 56 from Kraków to Berlin on Sunday (2nd October). While there were a bunch of Police on the platform at Frankfurt, there were no passport or ID checks, and so we go into Berlin exactly on schedule. I think we were very lucky though, since most days before (and since) there have been significant delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.