• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chesterfield Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

euryalus

I was looking at a map of Chesterfield the other day and was quite surprised to find that there is a substantial tunnel beneath the town, which once connected the Chesterfield Central branch to the GCR main line, thereby creating the "Chesterfield Loop" between Staveley, Chesterfield and Heath. I think Chesterfield Central was used by a number of main line or semi-fast passenger workings, but I was wondering if there were any locomotive restrictions on this circuitous loop - in other words, was it used by the largest GCR/LNER locomotives?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I was looking at a map of Chesterfield the other day and was quite surprised to find that there is a substantial tunnel beneath the town, which once connected the Chesterfield Central branch to the GCR main line, thereby creating the "Chesterfield Loop" between Staveley, Chesterfield and Heath. I think Chesterfield Central was used by a number of main line or semi-fast passenger workings, but I was wondering if there were any locomotive restrictions on this circuitous loop - in other words, was it used by the largest GCR/LNER locomotives?
I went through there once with a Britannia (piloting a L1 2-6-4T), so I think that anything up to Gresley Pacifics must have been allowed.

talltim

Established Member
AFAIK it was built to the GCs normal loading gauge (not Berne gauge or anything but plenty big enough for large UK stock)
There’s a photo of FS at the station on the Disused stations website page http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/chesterfield_central/
I’ve also seen a photo of it coming out of the south portal of the tunnel, but it think that was in a book rather than on line.

talltim

Established Member
Also found a video of an urbex trip into the tunnel:
I’ve not watched it all

alistairlees

Established Member
AFAIK it was built to the GCs normal loading gauge (not Berne gauge or anything but plenty big enough for large UK stock)
There’s a photo of FS at the station on the Disused stations website page http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/chesterfield_central/
I’ve also seen a photo of it coming out of the south portal of the tunnel, but it think that was in a book rather than on line.
Even the normally-authoritative Disused Stations website erroneously states that the GC was built to “Berne loading gauge” on that page!

Rockhopper

Yes, Pat is a legend!
My rifle club did enquire about using the tunnel as a full bore rifle range but the powers that be decreed that the fumes from the powder might damage the brickwork.....

euryalus

The 'Flying Scotsman' excursion was said to have been the last passenger train to call at Chesterfield Central - I think it ran southwards over the loop, although there was no corresponding northwards trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.