• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chicago 2600 series car on M3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expat1234

I moved to the USA (Chicago) some 20 years ago and have remained involved in Railway preservation over here since then.

Much puzzlement here about a recent picture that apparently shows a Chicago Transit Authority 2600 series car (actually 2661) on a low loader on the M3. These cars are now in the early stages of displacement and disposal. (Early, 500 are still in service. While we have pairs of 2200 and 2400 in our collection, not yet going for the 2600s).

Anyone know what it is doing in the UK and if it is a single or part of a group??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Expat1234

Speculative but I think you got it spot on.

I subsequently heard from a contact over here that it had been sold to Warner Brothers so probably on its way to Leavesden

Last edited:

Expat1234

Unfortunately I saw the picture thru a private circulation. I do not know who took it and do not believe it is in the public domain.

fgwrich

Established Member
Speculative but I think you got it spot on.

I subsequently heard from a contact over here that it had been sold to Warner Brothers so probably on its way to Leavesden

It could be on it's way up to Liverpool as there's been a lot of filming being done up there at the minute - a number of Gotham City branded vehicles last week were seen there too.

hst43102

If it's on the M3, it's most likely going to/from Southampton docks? Going off on a tangent, would Chicago metro stock fit the UK loading gauge?

Journeyman

Established Member
If it's on the M3, it's most likely going to/from Southampton docks? Going off on a tangent, would Chicago metro stock fit the UK loading gauge?

Just about, by the looks of things. They're very compact by US standards. 2.84cm wide, and 12ft tall.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That's a rather lightweight unsubstantial trailer that the subway car is placed on compared to what is usually employed when moving lighter type UK stock such as 142s even.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As the tweet says, it's headed to Warner Bros studios
That's a rather lightweight unsubstantial trailer that the subway car is placed on compared to what is usually employed when moving lighter type UK stock such as 142s even.
Whilst they won't want it too damaged, it doesn't ever have to run again so there's not so much need to take care to eg not bend the underframes

Ash Bridge

Established Member
As the tweet says, it's headed to Warner Bros studios

Whilst they won't want it too damaged, it doesn't ever have to run again so there's not so much need to take care to eg not bend the underframes

That's a fair point! I'd never have considered that reason.

etr221

They have to be compact because of the tight curves on the elevated sections, this photo shows an example of that:
https://pixels.com/featured/chicago-elevated-train-tracks-mike-burgquist.html
It's a system with corners rather than curves, as the L (elevated) downtown (and elsewhere) is above the (grid pattern) streets.

Standard dimensions for CTA rapid transit cars are height 12'-0"; width 9'-4"; length 48'-0". Weight (for post war cars, up to the mid '70s) 20-23 (long) tons (41000 (6000s) - 51000 (2400s) lbs) (The steel cars of the 1920's were heavy, at 35 tons. Light because of the limited strength of the L 'structure' - the steam locos originally used (0-4-4T) were well under 30 tons.

Speed43125

It's a system with corners rather than curves, as the L (elevated) downtown (and elsewhere) is above the (grid pattern) streets.

Standard dimensions for CTA rapid transit cars are height 12'-0"; width 9'-4"; length 48'-0". Weight (for post war cars, up to the mid '70s) 20-23 (long) tons (41000 (6000s) - 51000 (2400s) lbs) (The steel cars of the 1920's were heavy, at 35 tons. Light because of the limited strength of the L 'structure' - the steam locos originally used (0-4-4T) were well under 30 tons.
Little like the Liverpool Overhead in more than a few ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.