• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas - Bah Humbug

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
I heartily recommend looking at The Grumpy Guide to Christmas, Grumpy Old Men At Christmas and Grumpy Old Women At Christmas, all available on You Tube.

They are all very funny.

In The Grumpy Guide to Christmas, te narrator (the late Geoffrey Palmer) says that he would "...rather be immersed in a bucket of festive reindeer snot...." than listen to Cliff Richard singing Mistletoe & Wine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

I heartily recommend looking at The Grumpy Guide to Christmas, Grumpy Old Men At Christmas and Grumpy Old Women At Christmas, all available on You Tube.

They are all very funny.

In The Grumpy Guide to Christmas, te narrator (the late Geoffrey Palmer) says that he would "...rather be immersed in a bucket of festive reindeer snot...." than listen to Cliff Richard singing Mistletoe & Wine.

But is that the worst Christmas song? There are a number to choose from and it's hard to decide which is the most awful!

najaB

Veteran Member
But is that the worst Christmas song? There are a number to choose from and it's hard to decide which is the most awful!
All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey.

I stay in the city centre and the Christmas market that sets up every year plays that song at maximum volume at least 20 to 30 times a day for two or three weeks.

Big Tim

It would be a shame if someone knocked the plug out by mistake...
I did suggest to the chap that someone might "accidentally" knock it over and break it and put shoppers and staff out of their misery. Pretty sure he was tempted to sabotage it in some way, but judging by some of the other lines in-store it could have been replaced by something equally / more horrific by the management!

johntea

Established Member
I work in IT, and christmas day is usually when the main servers and their various friends with multicoloued lights (firewalls, tape drives, etc) get all their firmware updates done!

I used to work in education IT, the 6 week summer holiday was fantastic as it meant a free roam to play with IT (until some bright spark decided to start running summer classes!) and the budget worked in such a way 95% of the new tech turned up during that period too, so it was like having Christmas in July from a geek perspective :D September was absolute hell though as you had to support it for all the returning staff and students, many of whom seemed to struggle to remember their password for 6 minutes let alone 6 weeks

Now I'm in NHS IT which makes it far trickier just to do 'a quick server restart' in some cases!

xotGD

Established Member
Three good things about Christmas :

1. Mince pies
2. Christmas cake
3. Yule log

Now, what's for pudding?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Sprouts for afters of course, I love them, saw some at EasyNosh, 750g net, but so small, might have been a hundred tiny ones
And how long it take to prepare them? And how much is left when they are cooked?
Lucky to get 375 grams, grrr %)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I wish it could be Christmas every day...

alxndr

Established Member
My internal clock hasn't moved much past March thanks to the chaos this year, so I'm finding myself swearing at the radio even more frequently than usual.

DerekC

Established Member
One of my Christmas highlights used to be listening to the Salvation Army playing carols on the station concourse at Waterloo - it just seemed to capture the spirit in a way that zillions of hours of recorded mush can't.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
To me, Xmas has for many years been an expensive disruption, so i am firmly in the "humbug" camp.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

1. Mince pies
2. Christmas cake
3. Yule log

Now, what's for pudding?

Sprouts for afters of course, I love them, saw some at EasyNosh, 750g net, but so small, might have been a hundred tiny ones
And how long it take to prepare them? And how much is left when they are cooked?
Lucky to get 375 grams, grrr %)
Oi! This is the grumpy Christmas thread. We don't want happy thoughts here ;)
Well I wish it could be Christmas every day...
Release the hounds!

High Dyke

Established Member

1. Mince pies
2. Christmas cake
3. Yule log

Now, what's for pudding?
1. Agreed, though we've already got a box open.
2. Only in small quantities for me.
3. Is that what happens if you eat too much of 1 & 2, but not enough sprouts?

The older I get I just view the whole period as another day closer to death. I happened to hear one of our local radio stations this morning - turned it off, after the second 'chrimbo' song was played; and that was about 7am. Alright, it happens to be my weekend off work; though I'd rather be working. Unless circumstances change it doesn't look like I'll be having a pint or three in the Railway Club on Christmas Day either.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Oh dear, I just remembered another wonderful thing about Christmas, taking the children to see Santa on the local heritage railway, the best of times
Family Christmases when I was a child are so long ago, I can hardly remember them, but they were probably awful

nlogax

Established Member
Probably the most festive thing I've experienced is watching It's A Wonderful Life in Hebden Bridge's cinema on a Christmas Eve. Complete with half-time intermission featuring mince pies and cups of tea. Bit of a cliché but there we go.

I had to endure Jingle Bells being blasted out of the car radio on my way to work at 06:30 on Sunday morning. Switched it off and drove in silence.
The only bells you won't hear this Christmas are church bells on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It will be a truly Silent Night.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Oh dear, I just remembered another wonderful thing about Christmas, taking the children to see Santa on the local heritage railway, the best of times
Family Christmases when I was a child are so long ago, I can hardly remember them, but they were probably awful

I had generally good family Christmases as a child. Nothing untoward sticks out. Now, making just as memorable Christmases with my own children is high up on the agenda.

Calthrop

Established Member
Re "Turkey" in the above video title: I recall a few decades ago, a trip run in late December by the outfit To Europe [and elsewhere] For Steam -- to the (Moslem) country Turkey, which they advertised as "The Turkish Escape From Christmas".

xotGD

Established Member
Now for me that is one of the bad things. You can't go for an honest day's bashing because instead of normal trains they run all these ridiculous Santa Specials!

(Has anyone seen the guy in the red suit flailing from the front droplight?)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Now for me that is one of the bad things. You can't go for an honest day's bashing because instead of normal trains they run all these ridiculous Santa Specials!

(Has anyone seen the guy in the red suit flailing from the front droplight?)
Even worse, it is all to do with money, cash, do they think about nothing else? A family might spend a hundred quid, a thousand families... helps to fund 'serious' preservation for the likes of us %)

Still got the sprouts problem, found some decent ones but they cost a few coppers more, trying a third food store tomorrow, grrr, bah

Status
Not open for further replies.