• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas Bubble discussion: Who will be part of yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
The government announced today that up to three households can form a bubble over the Christmas period which has provided some much needed relief for those needing some extra company.
Up to three households will be able to meet up during a five-day Christmas period of 23 to 27 December, leaders of the four UK nations have agreed.
People can mix in homes, places of worship and outdoor spaces, and travel restrictions will also be eased.
But a formed "Christmas bubble" must be "exclusive" and would not be able to visit pubs or restaurants together.
The big question now is how will people organise their bubbles? I can see there being quite a few arguments brewing as to who to include, particularly in instances where parents have more than two adult children living away from them for example. I thought it would be worth setting up this thread to find out how you will organise your household bubbles, and how many people yours will consist of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
I am certainly not pro lockdown in the way that the government have done things. I think it’s appalling how the hospitality industry have been treated and are going to be treated if hotels and pubs in many areas of the country have to remain closed well into next year. However, I do value the lives of my elderly relatives and friends and will not be throwing all the restrictions regarding gatherings in homes out of the window for 5 days. I think people need to be sensible and do a risk assessment before they start partying over Christmas. The last thing we need are more lockdowns between Christmas and Easter. It will just be myself, my 85 year old mother plus my sister and her partner. We have only mixed in our homes as this group of 4 people right through since the first lockdown ended and will continue this over Christmas.

Last edited:

Scotrail12

No idea. I'm vocally anti-lockdown but with people bubbling up with elderly relatives, I feel that this is a disaster waiting to happen. My family definitely aren't visiting grandparents for Christmas. We've made that risk assessment ourselves (as opposed to the politicians doing it for us) and feel it's the best thing to do.

Ostrich

No idea. I'm vocally anti-lockdown but with people bubbling up with elderly relatives, I feel that this is a disaster waiting to happen. My family definitely aren't visiting grandparents for Christmas. We've made that risk assessment ourselves (as opposed to the politicians doing it for us) and feel it's the best thing to do.
We also feel that these latest measures create the potential for an unnecessary spike in Covid after Christmas and our risk assessment - we're "elderlies" ourselves - is similar to Scotrail12's. We won't be inviting family over or going anywhere; as far as we're concerned, we'd rather wait and see how effective the vaccination programme roll-out in January / February is before thinking about any meeting up .....

DelayRepay

Established Member
I normally spend Christmas at my mum's, with my sister and sister's kids. Mum and Sister are already in a support bubble (Mum provides childcare), so I am the only extra person. Given that I work from home, hardly see anyone and live in a lower risk area (old Tier 1 vs mum's Tier 3), I don't think I am putting mum at any additional risk. I am probably at greater risk than if I stayed at home, but that's a risk I am willing to take. We could, under the rules, invite another household too, but I don't think we will.

Overall I am really happy that I can see my family again and it gives me something to look forward to. The small additional personal risk to me is outweighed by the benefit of seeing my family, who I have not been able to see since the Tiering rules came in, and am unlikely to be able to see again until perhaps March/April.

I would like to meet my friend, who I have not seen since August, but I don't think that will be allowed (they are likely to be in Tier 2/3). It is a real shame that we can't meet in a Covid Secure pub for a meal/drink. If the weather's not too bad we might be able to go for a walk together, I suppose.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Well, considering that my sister and her family live next door to me and my Mum, we've spent Christmas Day with them for the last 10 years.

Simon11

Established Member
With a three family bubble maximum, if we include my parents and my partners parents we have already breached the limit without seeing our brothers/sisters and their families who we haven't seen since March. We won't be meeting our neighbours on Christmas day which makes sense, but why cannot we meet our close families?

I think we will be 'bending the rules'..... we won't have more than three family bubbles together at the same time indoors, however we would look to meet close family spread out over the five days. To reduce the risk, this could just be having a nice family walk outside together.

The risk from our plan is far less than the risk of my partner who works in education looking after 30 children without any PPE.

Its worth putting this into perspective, that for 500,000 people in the UK, this will be their last Christmas.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
I wouldn't bother forming a bubble at all to be honest.

The killjoys at SAGE are now "modelling" all the risks associated with having Christmas dinner.

The papers are now speculating what they could come up with:-

Presumably the only acceptable Christmas Carols will be O Hum All Ye Faithful and Silent Night.

Still, the only authentic thing about Christmas this year is that there will definitely be no room at the inn if you live somewhere that is in Tier 3. :D

Tomorrow, we find out what tiers we will be in when we come out of lockdown on Dec 2, even though a lot of us live in areas where you are more likely to die tripping over a tortoise than from Covid.

Further restrictions will be hugely damaging, but those obsessive scientists won’t release us until they are convinced the virus is eradicated. I make that never.

You could be forgiven for thinking the main qualification for sitting on SAGE is no previous experience of being human. Yet a fearful government has subcontracted our daily existence to this odd breed of men and women who clearly view us as lab rats.

Now comes the frankly terrifying news that SAGE is modelling the risks of Christmas lunch. I hand you over to Keith Fungus, professor of health psychology at the University of Dungeness, who will answer your questions about the unsuspected dangers posed by the festive feast:

Q: Professor Fungus, can we have crackers this Christmas?

A: The traditional pulling of a cracker is problematic because it involves two people, one at each end. SAGE’s projection is that crackers have a moderate to high impact on transmission, especially if people become tipsy and pick up another family member’s paper crown by mistake. I would recommend crackers of at least two metres in length and minimal shrieking when the cracker goes bang.

Q: What’s wrong with shrieking?

A: Shrieking releases aerosols which can hang in the air for several hours. Mask-wearing is advised in the vicinity of the cracker. Do NOT blow any comb or whistle found in the cracker!

Q: So can we still read out the cracker mottos?

A: SAGE has observed that bad jokes found in crackers may lead to sustained mirth. Modelling of this suggests that “having a laugh” may lead to adverse health outcomes. This has to be balanced against the impact on well-being. Impacts may be partially mitigated if the cracker motto is read out in a whisper and any laughter is directed away from the table.

Q: Are there precautions we should take during the meal?

A: There must be no sharing of utensils or crockery. Everyone should have their own individual gravy boat and bread sauce dispenser. Festive hand sanitiser could help prevent the seeding of an outbreak. Blowing out the flame on the Christmas pudding is high risk.

Q: Any advice on mistletoe?

A: Modelling suggests it leads to an undesirable link between members of two or more households.

Q: It’s called snogging, Professor Fungus.

A: Ah, I did wonder about the point of putting a plant on the ceiling. Removal of mistletoe could have a direct impact on reduction in transmission. But reductions in social interactions harm general well-being and have a psychological impact. Suggested intervention: retain mistletoe ritual but only while wearing visors and full PPE.

Q: There will be eleven of us for lunch. Should we try to maintain social distancing?

A: Keep two metres away from other members of your family as much as possible.

Q: But there’s no room. Our kitchen’s only 5 metres by 4.

A: Can you arrange for one room in your home for each family member?

Q: Where do you think we live, Buckingham Palace?

Bantamzen

Established Member
I wouldn't bother forming a bubble at all to be honest.

The killjoys at SAGE are now "modelling" all the risks associated with having Christmas dinner.

The papers are now speculating what they could come up with:-

Presumably the only acceptable Christmas Carols will be O Hum All Ye Faithful and Silent Night.

Still, the only authentic thing about Christmas this year is that there will definitely be no room at the inn if you live somewhere that is in Tier 3. :D

What. The. Actual. *@#&?

That's it, these bozos have got to go. Now!

duncanp

Established Member
I think the newspaper article is taking the mickey out of SAGE and Professor Twitty.

But it rings true, and no doubt they will try and scare us into staying at home over Christmas.

After all, one of the points is that you can only have mistletoe if you are wearing full visors and PPE.

Don't think there is going to be too much of a problem with Christmas cracker jokes though. Most of them are so bad that there is no chance anyone could possibly laugh at them, thereby releasing deadly particles of the killer virus into the air. Perhaps there should be a sub-committee of SAGE to vet all Christmas cracker jokes to make sure this is the case.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think the newspaper article is taking the mickey out of SAGE and Professor Twitty.

But it rings true, and no doubt they will try and scare us into staying at home over Christmas.

After all, one of the points is that you can only have mistletoe if you are wearing full visors and PPE.

Don't think there is gonig to be too much of a problem with Christmas cracker jokes though. Most of them are so bad that there is no chance anyone could possibly laugh at them, thereby releasing deadly particles of the killer virus into the air. Perhaps there should be a sub-committee of SAGE to vet all Christmas cracker jokes to make sure this is the case.
Ah yeah, I missed the speculation bit. :oops:

But it really wouldn't surprise me at all if they did try to micromanage the "risks" of a family meal.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm afraid I don't quite understand how all this fits in with the rule of six stuff. I can understand the restrictive bubble thing when it comes to going round peoples houses, but outside in public spaces etc ?

Or is this another thing that the junta - sorry, SAGE have changed ?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I will just be glad to spend time with my immediate family, away from the pressures of the job (unless I am called in :'()

All the rest of the family (with 2 in our support bubble) live a distance away and we are never all together, at the same time at Christmas - if ever...

Having done my own risk assessment (and depending on what pubs/restaurants will be open nearer the time), we will see each family "bubble" on separate days.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't trust SAGE at all. I personally think people should be able to do what they think is right for them.

As a single bloke living by myself I'll take anyone who'll have me!

But seriously it'll probably be with my folks along with my sister and her fiancee and my other sister who still lives with my folks. My grandparents on my mum's side will be playing it safe and won't be wanting any visitors. My Granny on my Dad's side may get a visit from my Dad if not both my parents on one day over the festive period.

greyman42

Established Member
I don't trust SAGE at all. I personally think people should be able to do what they think is right for them.
I am sure people will. If the government think that people will follow their nonsensical rules then they are out of touch with reality.

PeterY

Established Member
I'm single and my bubble is single, so I'm spending Christmas day with her.

My daughter lives in North Wales and me in Hertfordshire. The prospect of travelling there by train or car, fills me with horror and stuff of nightmares. Probably quicker to cycle :E:E:E:E:E

DB

I am sure people will. If the government think that people will follow their nonsensical rules then they are out of touch with reality.

Quite - many people will just do what they want to do, and if that means ignoring whatever arbitrary rules the government has set then so be it.

Yew

Established Member
This is the most depressing thing I've ever read, surely we must come to our senses and see reality now.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Our families are currently discussing what to do about Christmas. It is almost certain that BoJo will shove us onto the naughty step so eating out is probably not going to be an option, and so Christmas Day will be spent at someone's home and given the complexity our of families it is almost certain that the 3 bubble rule will be ignored amongst those of us living in the same internment camp. Thankfully we are all generally fairly sensible, so if anyone comes down with covid in the days after we will let everyone know and act accordingly. Sadly I won't be seeing some that live further away, I haven't seen them in nearly a year now so if BoJo continues with stupid restrictions in the new year I will be breaking out one way or another in early 2021.

alxndr

Established Member
Unlikely to bubble with anyone. I haven't seen anyone outside of work on those days the last two years and it's been great getting to avoid all the nonsense, so no plans to change now.

If I had a little more time off within the window I would use the opportunity to visit a friend in Glasgow who is really struggling at the moment as I don't know when it'll next be permitted, but the unfortunate reality is that I'd probably be dicing dangerously with fatigue if I did so. I have 25 hours between finishing a night shift and starting a day shift, and it would be a 12 hour round trip.

No, in my usual Christmas tradition it will just be me, pizza, and a walk somewhere peaceful.

DustyBin

Established Member

Agreed, we’ll be having as normal a Christmas period as possible. I hope pubs are open so I can go out with my friends back ‘home’ too, I haven’t seen them for months.

RichJF

I'll be doing what I've always done - spending the 23-25 with my birth mother & her family.
I've already had words with my father that it might have to be a while after xmas before I can see his family given I'm split between two family bubbles!

I admit I'm probably low risk as a healthy 30 yr old, but still would rather not risk passing the virus onto both sides of the family (if I'm carrying it unknowingly).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
We will be going to stay with my 75 year old parents for two nights.

We don't see anyone at the moment bar a trip to Tesco.

We would be making that Xmas trip whatever Johnson and his little chums say.

I can manage my own life and risks; I won't be listening to the Government.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Given every family will have their bubbles with diffrent other families, wouldn't it end up loo,ing like a bubble bath?

Butts

Veteran Member

I agree with you, why is there not more discussion of this in the media ?

It's almost an "Emperors Clothes Job" - Everyone is pretending the rules are complied with / good idea despite the evidence of their own eyes and real feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.