• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham jct to brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I may be going from Shepperton to Brighton this coming Saturday 18 Feb for a day trip. Does anyone know which trains past each hour from Clapham Jct to Brighton & rtn will be formed of the former SWT Wessex Electric trains that sometimes do the Brighton run, rather than the usual Southern 3 & 4 car green units. ? (I presume Network South East Card discount can be used on all trains to Brighton?) Thank you.

(Also does anyone know what is happening with the refurbishment of the Brighton Belle Electric Pullman ?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Good morning,

I may be going from Shepperton to Brighton this coming Saturday 18 Feb for a day trip. Does anyone know which trains past each hour from Clapham Jct to Brighton & rtn will be formed of the former SWT Wessex Electric trains that sometimes do the Brighton run, rather than the usual Southern 3 & 4 car green units. ? (I presume Network South East Card discount can be used on all trains to Brighton?) Thank you.
There are two sets of 'Pigs' booked out on Brightons on Saturdays which all call at Clapham, although they are not 100% reliable and 377s can substitute they have produced as booked for the last couple of weekends.

For a daytrip you'd probably be looking at the 0806, 0906, 1036 and 1136 off Victoria, returning on the 1419, 1519, 1649, 1749 or 1919 from Brighton.

Norman

Good morning,

All services from The Junction are formed of 377s to Brighton. The Wessex Electrics (442s) are only used on Gatwick Express services which go straight through Clapham Junction.

If you really wanted to get on a 442, you'd have to change at Gatwick Airport and go on one down to Brighton :), or get off at The Junction, get to Victoria on a Southern service and then get a 442 from Victoria, although if I remember rightly I don't think the peaks to Brighton operate on weekends, only on weekdays.

Hope this helps!

This is complete nonsense. You most certainly do not have to get the Gatwick Express from Victoria to get a 442 to Brighton.

Althought the Southern timetable is not explicit in naming the class of the train running the service, there is restricted disabled access (eg 442) on the xx.06 and xx.36 departures from Victoria and the xx.19 and xx.49 return departures from Brighton.

May I suggest to Dan that he gets his facts straight before giving misleading information to people looking for help.;)

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, you want a train with 'restricted access' ;) From the sticky topic:

Southern Railway / Gatwick Express Class 442s:
Marked with the black square to show above the times to show 'Restricted access. Unsuitable for scooters and large wheelchairs'
Timetables 1 and 3 in the link - http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/timetables/

As well as Monday-Friday only
0714 Eastbourne-London Bridge
1823 London Bridge-Eastbourne

May I suggest to Dan that he gets his facts straight before giving misleading information to people looking for help.;)
Completely agree. I removed the post for being incorrect to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'll correct it later but you need timetable 1 in the link for Brighton trains, timetable 3 is for Gatwick Airport.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
(I presume Network South East Card discount can be used on all trains to Brighton?)
Yes. Sounds like you have heard of the absurd and obscure rule that prevents Network Railcard holders using certain trains to Gatwick Airport (though there's no-one on board to enforce it) but that rule does not apply to journeys to "Haywards Heath or beyond" so all trains that go to Brighton are perfectly fine to use on a Network Railcard discounted ticket to Brighton.

TEW

Established Member
Not all the trains marked as restricted access are 442s though. In fact since the December 2011 timetable change there aren't that many 442s out on London-Brighton services in the off-peak period. The services listed by 87015 above are your best bet. 442s from Victoria to Brighton start at 0806 and 0906, repeating every two and a half hours, so the next 442s are at 1036 and 1136 and so on. From Brighton they start at 0649 and 0749, again repeating every two and a half hours.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Many thanks for this great information re times of 442s and fare update. I'll check the connections and will try for the 442s, hopefully i'll go on one in at least one direction on Saturday.

(Sorry I posted in wrong thread firstly.)

Rgds.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Guys, Well I took your advice and my trip to Brighton using the class 442 units (Ex Wessex Electrics) on Satuday worked well. I connected onto the 1042 from Clapham Junction and returned from Brighton on the 1519 service. These as hoped for were both operated by the 442s, in a 10 car formation. Times within 3 mins of schedule and very comfy journey in both directions. So tks again for the info you gave me. :D

(By the way I think it's rather ironic, SWT giving the 442s to Southern to operate mainly the Gatwick Express, then SWT getting back the orig Gatwick Express units to operate, so I understand the outer surbuban services to Reading) I think the 442s are better than the 444s & 450s that now operate from Waterloo to Portsmouth and along the South Coast to So'ton, Bournemouth & Weymouth.) I suppose this switching of stock makes sense to the TOCs.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Aye, after I'd done PLEG's tour of Lovers Walk depot one summer Sunday last year, I was pleasantly surprised with a 10-car 442 back to Victoria. I'd had a wedged 5-car one heading south, but the northernmost coaches on the return were lovely and quiet.

Are they better than 444s? No. Nothing in existence is better than a 444 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.